SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 U-Boat Missions Add On
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-31-10, 04:55 AM   #1
Tolkemec
Torpedoman

Downloads: 131
Uploads: 0
Default Missing voices problem

Hello everyone.

The title of the thread is wrong, but i don't know how to change it , it should read: Missing voices in the GERMAN CAMPAIGN, because I can hear them fine in the american campaign.

As I have a new laptop, and knowing from sailor steve that I can run an atlantic campaign in SH4, I decided to try it.

So I recently bought a hard copy of SH4 and downloaded 1.5 add on. The game works fine so I think it isn't a compatibility problem. The issue is that I cannot get some of the voices of the crew in the german campaign to work (they work fine in the american campaign). So for example I do not hear the "ship spotted" warning, nor the "man the flak gun".

I checked if this files are in the sound file and everything is in place.

I have downloaded the Das Boot sound pack, to see if changing to german voices would solve de problem, but to no avail. I have tried the stock, unmodded version, the OM version, the OM + OMEGU version, etc... etc... the problem is still the same, which is killing me.

Is there any way to get those voices back? I surfed subsim but didn't find an answer yet.

Thank you!

Last edited by Tolkemec; 10-31-10 at 06:43 AM.
Tolkemec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-10, 09:49 AM   #2
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Find a program that will play .ogg files. I use Creative Media Source Player for just listening, but www.goldwave.com will let you do your own editing. This will let you listen to the appropriate files to figure out what's wrong, and then you can manually replace them if necessary.

I'm not sure why DBSM wouldn't replace those files, since it works fine for me. The only thing I can think of is to check each file yourself and try to fine what's going on.
Old 10-31-10, 10:01 AM   #3
Tolkemec
Torpedoman

Hi Sailor Steve.

The problem is not in the files, nor in DBSM, that's for sure. My first problem is that the Watch Officer doesn't say "ship spotted", never. All the files are there, I've checked that, but he doesn't speak a word. I suppose that if I can fix this problem (major for me because usually while I am travelling at tc 128 to my patrol zone I am in another room reading, or washing dishes, so I need a LOUD voice telling me there is someone in the vicinity), I will know how to fix my mute chief also. I do get the ahead 1/3, or the crash dive sound, or the surface routine...

I've re-tried and re-checked, but the problem is there ONLY in the german campaign (stock 1.5 presents the problem).

So... no one has got this problem?

Could it be an incompatibility, since I own a hard copy SH4 and a downloadable 1.5? But THIS is the only problem I got...

Last edited by Tolkemec; 10-31-10 at 10:20 AM.
Old 10-31-10, 10:29 AM   #4
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

From that description it sounds like a problem with the trigger for those voices. Sadly I know nothing about how those work. I'm playing SH4 Gold, and have never had any problems of that nature.
Old 10-31-10, 10:55 AM   #5
Tolkemec
Torpedoman

Ok thx anyway.

Is there anybody who would know how to tweak the trigger Sailor Steve is refering to? I tried to locate it in the .cfg file but I am no modder, so I do not understand where, what and how I should modify...

Last edited by Tolkemec; 10-31-10 at 11:12 AM.
Old 01-03-11, 06:16 AM   #6
Otha
Swabbie

Downloads: 124

Have you tried Webster's missing voices fix?

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=1106
Otha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-11, 12:01 PM   #7
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

From Webster's readme:
Quote:
...this mod doesnt fix the real problem of the sound controller not always calling on the sounds to be played as it should.
Old 05-21-11, 04:37 AM   #8
ddiplock
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 31

Hang on, but forgive my utter stupidity but.....there are german voices for the U-Boat campaign??? I've only ever had American voices. How can you change them?? I've never found a setting in the game anywhere to change it
ddiplock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-11, 11:07 AM   #9
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

No, there are no German voices in SH4. If you want German voices you have to use a mod.

For SH3-style German voices try this mod http://www.gamefront.com/files/13873...PEECH_FI8.zip/

For the Das Boot Sound Mod you need this http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=1083 and this http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=1529

It's a real pain to switch out sound mods for US and German play, so it is highly recommended to get MultiSH4, which lets you easily set up and manage multiple installations of the game.