SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-16-15, 03:55 PM   #1
cardician
Torpedoman

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Can't see anything at night

Hello all. I'm getting back into the game after a number of years so thought I'd stop in and see what mods were available. Decided to just go simple and install GWX. So I believe I got everything installed properly and was having a good time getting back into things. I was having some CTD issues but I think they have been mostly caused by saving improperly. The real issue I've been having is that at night, especially in poor weather so the moon is covered, I literally can't see anything. My screen is just pure black. I've looked into various fixes for this but can't seem to find any that work. This combined with the CTDs I've been having have almost made me give up and just relegate this game back to my game shelf. Anyone have any thoughts on what I can do to increase the brightness at night? I've even tried looking for some mods and did find two of them. One immediately caused my game to crash and the other didn't seem to make any difference. Or if it did make a difference it wasn't enough of one to make it usable. I've also tried raising the brightness and a few other settings on my monitor, all to no avail.

So if anyone has some ideas please do let me know. I really want to be able to get back into this game and when it looked like I wasn't going to be able to it was a pretty big disappointment. Thanks to all for any help.
cardician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-15, 04:30 PM   #2
Torplexed
Let's Sink Sumptin' !

Downloads: 43

Maybe you already have, but you could try fiddling with the gamma/brightness on the graphic card software. ( like NVIDIA control panel) It's too bad they didn't include setting controls for the graphics in the game software itself.

--Mobilis in Mobili--
Torplexed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-15, 04:55 PM   #3
T.Von Hogan
Planesman

Downloads: 51

Visibility in bad weather in the GWX mod is in the 300-500 meter range. Having been a quartermaster in the USN i can tell you that is pretty accurate, i would try lowering backround lighting to help a little, but using your ears(sonar) instead of your eyes is the best bet until the weather clears a bit. Another route would be to look into weather mods to keep the no visibility nights at a minimum.
T.Von Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-15, 11:32 AM   #4
cardician
Torpedoman

Downloads: 0

I'm not saying it's limited visibility. I'm literally saying the screen is black. Nothing can be seen at all. There is no 300m visibility. It's 0. That makes the game impossible to play.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions but neither of them will work it seems. Unfortunately that means I won't be playing this game. Take care all.
cardician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-15, 12:19 PM   #5
sublynx
Sea Lord

Location: In the conning tower of my VIIC scanning the sea through the periscope
Downloads: 173
Uploads: 7

If you use h.sie's hardcode fixes you can change darkness settings by changing the values in the file hsie.ini.
Old 05-18-15, 02:38 PM   #6
sENoZ
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

well...

i dont know if you are using mep but ....

bandicam 2015-05-18 21-38-25-319.jpg
Old 05-23-15, 04:56 AM   #7
banryu79
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 82
Uploads: 2

The h.sie.ini value has nothing to do with the rendering of the graphics on screen.
The only way for me is to rebalance your monitor output. If for example you are on Windows 7 you can use a function of the OS to do it.
banryu79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-23, 09:59 AM   #8
johnboy1958
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardician View Post
I'm not saying it's limited visibility. I'm literally saying the screen is black. Nothing can be seen at all. There is no 300m visibility. It's 0. That makes the game impossible to play.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions but neither of them will work it seems. Unfortunately that means I won't be playing this game. Take care all.

Hi, I know EXACTLY WHAT YOU MEAN. I installed GWX 3 and had to stop simply for that reason. I have tried a couple of Mods, that are supposed to help, But unfortunately they don't. I have no adjustments on my moniter to "Brighten the screen" so it looks like forgetting GWX
Old 09-28-23, 04:51 PM   #9
Hooston
Soundman

Downloads: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboy1958 View Post
I have no adjustments on my moniter to "Brighten the screen"

Even if there are no controls on the monitor it should be possible to adjust the display in software. What you need to do is lower the gamma setting.
In windows this is all hidden away in advanced display settings->display adapter properties->color management->advanced

Obviously

Take a look at this link https://www.alphr.com/change-gamma-windows-10/

Movies look nice with a high gamma setting to stretch the contrast but it means you lose a lot of definition in the dark areas for a game like SH3. i believe it is possible to create profiles to select depending on what you are doing but I don't use Windows any more so i can't really help there. Have a play.

Of course in real life it could be VERY dark sometimes. I've heard accounts of warships passing right through a convoy without seeing it!
Hooston is offline   Reply With Quote