SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-02-15, 06:51 PM   #16
Hambone307
Planesman

Downloads: 93
Uploads: 0

There is the possibility. I have hit nets, mines, run ashore, etc... Lampedusa is a difficult port to get in because the nets are not marked on the pull down map, and they are shallow enough that when surfaced, you hit them. I watched an AI merchant bounce into one repeatedly until it sank. Just be warned, do not use time compression when approaching that port in the shallows!

Edit: Just a friendly PSA: if you hit a mine, it will scare the crap out of you. I hit one sneaking into a port on the south end of England. I had my headphones in listening to a destroyer 200m off my starboard bow when all of a sudden, BOOM! Reports of severe flooding and multiple casualties. Lost my boat in seconds.

Last edited by Hambone307; 05-02-15 at 06:59 PM.
Hambone307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-15, 12:19 AM   #17
T.Von Hogan
Planesman

Downloads: 51

#4 would hurt, but #1 is inexcusable!
T.Von Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-15, 12:21 AM   #18
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome back!

T.Von Hogan! After a silent run!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-15, 06:31 AM   #19
Rambler241
A-ganger

Downloads: 5

Sailing through areas which must be teeming with targets, wondering why you ain't getting any radio contacts, only to realise there's no radioman on station!
Firing a torpedo at a marginal angle in desperation, and you haven't opened the tube door! The delay results in a miss, of course.
A sonar man who can't apparently hear the roar of a nearby convoy, when you have to lift the 'phones off your ears to reduce the deafening din.

The time we ran into a fishing boat in the North Sea - literally. I was alerted while re-plotting our course by a loud screeching, grinding noise. On the bridge, I find we're pushing a fishing boat (enemy of course) gradually underwater. The bridge crew (all experienced, no fatigue) are still scanning the horizon. When we get back to Kiel, there'll be some changes in crew and disposition - mark my words. Even worse, I get no points for sinking an enemy vessel!
Old 05-03-15, 07:56 PM   #20
T.Von Hogan
Planesman

Downloads: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
T.Von Hogan! After a silent run!
Thank you Sir!
T.Von Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-15, 10:08 PM   #21
Kommandant_Wesser
Seaman

Downloads: 183
Uploads: 1

When you fire all your foward torpedoes and most of them are duds
Kommandant_Wesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-15, 10:07 AM   #22
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

When I return all the way almost to port after a high tonnage successful mission and run aground or am sunk by a patrol bomber!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Old 05-16-15, 12:14 PM   #23
scott_c2911
Engineer

Downloads: 71

Spending an hour closing into a really nice firing position on a convoy full of tankers and a BB (900m AOB 90') for the weather to suddenly close in so that visibility is reduced to 400m. I thought I was leaning on my e-cigarette for a moment it happened so fast. I literally checked my solution and got back on the periscope and there was nothing there. Then I hear a loud ping...
Old 05-17-15, 03:24 PM   #24
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

1) literally running into absolutely no ships for entire patrol, refuel at Vigo, and still never see a ship until almost out of the refuel fuel!

2) firing a torp at a ship after setting the AOB to port, when it should have been starboard...oops.

3) watching the flak gunner on my type IXB make puffs of smoke in the air. I mean, does the flak really do anything?

DISCORD
https://discord.gg/6tFeTSUmVc
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-15, 11:16 AM   #25
Gunnarr
Helmsman

Downloads: 23

something that happened to me twice so far.

running into those puny islands that you can only see if you zoom a bit on the map. and time compression only stopping literally seconds away from impact!
Gunnarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-15, 01:01 PM   #26
Zosimus
XO

Downloads: 3

Yeah that's happened to me a time or two rounding the north coast of England.
Zosimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-15, 05:24 PM   #27
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Yup! that teeny little St Kilda Archipelego of the Outer Hebrides can lay some serious hirta on an ol' U boat!

Old 07-24-15, 05:39 PM   #28
20000 Leagues
Seaman

Downloads: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstanko6 View Post
3) watching the flak gunner on my type IXB make puffs of smoke in the air. I mean, does the flak really do anything?
I actually saw my gunner's flak hit just off the starboard wing of a Sunderland and brought it down. Then again, more often than not I've also watched flak hit and explode directly on the nose of Hurricane repeatedly and do nothing!
20000 Leagues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-15, 05:43 PM   #29
Rambler241
A-ganger

Downloads: 5

bstanko6 said:
1) literally running into absolutely no ships for entire patrol, refuel at Vigo, and still never see a ship until almost out of the refuel fuel!

You should be able to hear them before you see them - don't you do regular sonar dips? BTW, you're not supposed to run into ships, rather fire some kind of munition at them....

Quote:
2) firing a torp at a ship after setting the AOB to port, when it should have been starboard...oops.
... or not firing one by repeatedly hitting the tube selection button instead of the fire button, and wondering vot in himmel ist GOING ON!

Quote:
My flak gunner shot down 18 Hurricanes last patrol (Sept. 1940), a record for this career. Nothing macho, gung-ho or foolhardy about that - it's risking all to submerge while under almost continuous attack. Likely result is unplanned hull and machinery modifications at best....