SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-12-19, 11:02 AM   #1
yardmaster
Watch

Downloads: 218
Uploads: 0
Default Problem with Grey wolves

I have had a problem with the Grey Wolves 3.0. I have searched through many posts, but none seems to deal with my specific problem. I have played many games with a 1939 start and had no problem. Recently i tried a 1943 start and the game either freezes or crashes. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the game multiple times and the problem only seems to occur with the Grey Wolves expansion, not the vanilla game. Has anyone had this problem? BTW I use Commander.
yardmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-19, 12:02 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

What are your computer & video card specs, where do you have the game installed, and is the 4gig patch applied?

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-19, 12:40 PM   #3
yardmaster
Watch

I have intel graphics HD 610, 8 gigs memory, Intel pentium processor 2.90 GHZ. It's installed in the following directory: Program files (x86)/ubisoft/ubisoft game launcher/games/silent hunter 3. I'm not sure what the 4 gig patch is.
Old 01-12-19, 12:51 PM   #4
propbeanie

I don't have my GWX computer available, but the 4 gig patch might be on the Commander menu - but I might be mixing my mods up... The four gig patch allows the game to utilize more than the lower 2 gig of system memory. As for the location of your game install, you would be better off NOT having it installed in any of the Program Files folders, because Windows "protects" those folders from most changes. It might be that you have a partially activated mod, and that Windows "rolled-back" the other changes. If you have a disk version of the game, no StarFarce, you should be able to copy the Game folder and move it elsewhere. That does ruin any shortcuts you have for the game though. I don't have my old SHIII disk available, else I could tell you more about the "Ubisoft Game Launcher" part of your install path, but there are lots of other folks on here more knowledgeable about that here. If you don't have a whole lot of Save Game data you want to re-use, it would be easier to just re-install the game. I used to just delete the "Program Files (x86)/" portion of the path from mine, and would then have it in "C:\Ubisoft \Ubisoft Game Launcher \Games \Silent Hunter 3\", but I don't think my install had the "Ubisoft Game Launcher \Games " part... Is that a download from Ubisoft you have?

Old 01-12-19, 02:42 PM   #5
yardmaster
Watch

I moved it out of program files as you suggested. I'll see how that works, I googled 4 gig patch and found two downloads in subsim, Silent Humter III_Front_End and H.sie V1681-Patch-Kit. Should I download either or both?
Old 01-12-19, 05:27 PM   #6
propbeanie

I've got windows 7 on one computer, and windows 10 on another, and for both, I used CapnScurvy's thread Windows10; Large Address Aware; SH4 Install as my base. He talks about Windows 10 and SH4, but it applies across all Windows from Vista 64-bit on. Others probably have their favorite way. Another choice is to use NTCore's Utility, or even hex edit the executable yourself. If you want to run H.sie's patch, you could do that, but Be sure and read up on it though. It isn't necessary for the 4 gig patch, but does have it on the menu. I'm not familiar with the Front_End.

Old 01-12-19, 07:22 PM   #7
yardmaster
Watch

Thanks. I used NTCores and it seems to be working. I have loaded the game a half dozen times, different years, different flotillas, and no freeze ups or crashes. I will test it the next couple of days. If there is still a problem i'll try your other suggestion altough that looks more complicated.
Old 01-12-19, 10:23 PM   #8
propbeanie

Moving the game can be a major... bother, yeah, that's the word... but it is sometimes necessary in order to get the mods to "stick". Windows XP, no problem. 'Modern' Windows, sheesh...

Old 01-13-19, 06:33 AM   #9
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I've been watching the thread, but haven't said anything because Propbeanie has it under control and I didn't want to risk giving conflicting information. I'm glad you've got it working.

Here is a version that is not attached to any other mod:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=2888
Old 01-13-19, 12:33 PM   #10
yardmaster
Watch

Well so far, so good. In addition to the 4gig patch I I changed the compatibility setting to Windows XP. Why didn't I do that first? I did but it didn't work. It appears the combination of the two has fixed the problem (I hope).
Old 01-13-19, 12:45 PM   #11
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
I've been watching the thread, but haven't said anything because Propbeanie has it under control and I didn't want to risk giving conflicting information. I'm glad you've got it working.

Here is a version that is not attached to any other mod:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=2888
... and that's where experience with the game shines, Sailor Steve. I had completely spaced on remembering that... thanks!