SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-03-19, 09:59 PM   #1
Greystone
Sparky

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 0
Default parameters for a completed patrol

I read somewhere that to complete a patrol, one must wander around within a 200 mile radius of the "yellow star", and that, provided one does so, the patrol will be deemed complete in 48 hours.

Well, I drew the 200 mile radius & entered it on March 28 at 2100 hours. It's now April 3, 1530 hours; star's still yellow, with no notification that the patrol's been completed.
I've stayed within the circle the whole time, sunk 6 merchants on the open ocean and around 8 merchants & a couple warships in two harbors, each of which were also within the drawn circle.
Something's obviously wrong with my take on things...
Greystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-19, 10:49 PM   #2
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greystone View Post
I read somewhere that to complete a patrol, one must wander around within a 200 mile radius of the "yellow star", and that, provided one does so, the patrol will be deemed complete in 48 hours.

Well, I drew the 200 mile radius & entered it on March 28 at 2100 hours. It's now April 3, 1530 hours; star's still yellow, with no notification that the patrol's been completed.
I've stayed within the circle the whole time, sunk 6 merchants on the open ocean and around 8 merchants & a couple warships in two harbors, each of which were also within the drawn circle.
ok. that's not good. each mission/patrol can have a different patrol radius...they arent all 200 miles. some are 100 miles and some are 50 miles. one has to pay attention to the orders page for this info because unfortunately most mod-sets (and stock) do not repeat that detail once you begin the patrol.
you can restart the patrol or try patrolling at 50 miles in the current one and you may see some success.
good luck. and good hunting.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-19, 10:55 PM   #3
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

It depends upon the mod (if any) used, and the orders given. Sometimes, the "patrol" you are sent on, you are sent to the Star, and once there, you receive orders to sink enemy shipping, of which there are no restrictions of where you do that, usually. If you received an order like that, you have to sink enemy shipping, generally 10,000 tons worth.

If you are given an order to patrol an area, most mods will tell you how big of an area, and for how long. Stock usually leaves out the details. It might be one day, it might be five. Most mods tell you. Stock usually does not. The radius of the circle might be 50, 75 or 100 nautical miles, or it might be kilometers. Most mods tell you. Stock usually does not. The time you are required to be within that zone might be continuous, where you stay within that circle for the entire time, or it might be non-continuous. Most mods tell you that. Stock is almost always "continuous", but doesn't tell you.

In most mods, all of that info is generally in your orders, received as you leave for patrol, with only a synopsis available on your clipboard, so if you're like me, write the orders down before you "Proceed" on patrol. For Stock orders... well...

Here is an example of a Stock mission "order": "Patrol East China Sea and engage enemy shipping." Not very illuminating. This is about par for the course with stock. If we look at the mission itself though, we can see the patrol zone:
[MapZone 1]
Name=Patrol East China Sea 03_Zone1 - how the game IDs the patrol zone
Radius=150.000000 - In kilometers = not quite 81 nautical miles...
and the objective defined:
[Objective 1]
ObjName=Patrol East China Sea 03_Objective1 - game's internal Patrol Objective name
Obj=7 - denotes a "patrol" objective
ObjType=0 - denotes a non-hidden "primary" objective
Time=2880.000000 - time duration required, in minutes = 48 hours, or two days
So for the Stock game, draw an 80nm circle, and figure at least two days. Some are five though... Go and be careful, but have fun...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-19, 11:40 PM   #4
jimmbbo
Run silent, run deep

Downloads: 59

Quote:

In playing the stock v1.5 game, by a combination of trial and error and posts on this board, "Patrol missions" require staying within the patrol area for a total of 48 hours, and I found that staying inside of a 60 mile radius keeps the "clock running". Leaving the area stops the clock, requiring return to "in bounds" to complete the mission.

"Sink enemy shipping" missions require receiving the radio message on station, at which time you are free to hunt anywhere till you sink 10000 tons, at which time the mission is complete.
I have experienced a situation where saving and then restarting the game "resets" the clock to show completion
HTH
jimmbbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-19, 01:04 AM   #5
Greystone
Sparky

Good grief... so relieved to find it's such a simple clear-cut black & white affair.
Thanks, all, for your feedback.
Just peachy; all my sinkings were beyond a 100nm radius & I've got 2 stinking torpedoes left.
I'll just hug the star, cut the engines (fuel concerns) & pray for enemy blips to show up.
Old 01-04-19, 07:12 AM   #6
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

The "Patrol" missions are just that - Patrol. No need to sink anything. Forth-eight hours in the zone, and the mission completes...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-19, 03:21 PM   #7
jimmbbo
Run silent, run deep

Downloads: 59

Quote:
Good grief... so relieved to find it's such a simple clear-cut black & white affair.
Just peachy; all my sinkings were beyond a 100nm radius & I've got 2 stinking torpedoes left.
I'll just hug the star, cut the engines (fuel concerns) & pray for enemy blips to show up.

When fuel becomes an issue and/or I am low on torpedoes on a patrol mission, I have parked the boat in "the zone", accelerated time and submerging as necessary to avoid the IJN bad guys till the star turns grey...
jimmbbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-19, 03:33 PM   #8
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
you are correct with both statements.

so, let's say you are playing FOTRS-Ultimate, which is a pretty good mega-mod. and your next mission briefing (while you are in port) states:
Patrol area 4 within the designated area off Honshu for 5 days.
you want to know what the diameter of you patrol zone is, right? well, it is available but it is not a one-click thing.
i understand your frustration because i have been there, right with you.
your best bet for the US-Pacific theatre is to assume a 50 mile radius. IF (big if) you detect a task force/convoy/target that appears to be outside of your 50-mile patrol zone, don't be afraid to go and get it. and when you are finished attacking and evading, return to your patrol zone. just know that the game is keeping track of your zone-time and if you are ordered to be there 5 days (120hours) you will need to spend 120 hours within the zone to get a completed objective and have the star grayed out.
good luck. and good hunting.

LAA enabled
Old 01-05-19, 04:14 PM   #9
Greystone
Sparky

Thanks again, all; I'll be keeping your suggestions & insights in mind to avoid future scenarios like this.
Old 01-05-19, 09:03 PM   #10
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210

What tells me the distance is normally the distance away from the star plus when I get the message. So if I am moving towards the star and time compression stop and the message pops up with my orders I make a circle from the star to my current position and stay inside and I have never had an issue.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-19, 11:41 PM   #11
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc4ulfate View Post
What tells me the distance is normally the distance away from the star plus when I get the message. So if I am moving towards the star and time compression stop and the message pops up with my orders I make a circle from the star to my current position and stay inside and I have never had an issue.
yeah, i love those missions, however, as you have probably noticed, not all missions have that kind of sign.
some missions actually have a range circle on the nav map.

there is a set of mission commands that will allow modders to create those mission features. me.... i would rather play than mod.
i am sure that propbeanie will tell us how it all works (sorry, pal) but if you browse the patrol objectives folder and see how many mission files are there you will understand the size of the task to change them and add patrol-range-circles.
so, take your best estimate for range and go out and sink 'em all.

LAA enabled
Old 01-06-19, 06:35 PM   #12
fireftr18
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77

For the game, as long as you sink tonnage, you'll be fine. There are many times I ran out of torpedoes before reaching the patrol zone. I returned home and ended the cruise. I got my medal, crew promotions, and crew medals.