SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-19-17, 07:24 AM   #4471
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBlemmen View Post
Hi all,

I've been using this mod for over a year now. When i started playing SH4 i read about these 2 megamods , TMO and RFB and i picked TMO at random. I've never run into any issues.

However, i recently checked out the manual to look for cool stuff i may not know about and i've noticed it's said there that the optimal cruise speed is "standard". This is not true in my game. I've used the "maximum range at current speed" many times and i've always noticed 2/3ds is the most efficient, usually giving me about 30% more range over standard speed.

I was just wondering if this is an error in the manual , a potential error in my installation or if the navigator's estimations are wrong.

Thank you.
hi,
the fuel ranges in SH4 have certain issues which result from the fact that SH4 is built on the SH3 code which assumed 2 engines vs 4 for a Fleet Boat and the SH world is flat which is a bigger issue in the Pacific.

Ducimus increased the range of all boats so you can comfortably transit to your patrol area at "standard" speed and then patrol at 2/3 speed.

2/3 speed does give you the max range, but when used with TMO will give an excissevely long range.

I have been using TMO for years. It is a fine mod, a good base which you can tweak to your personal taste.

Last edited by Bilge_Rat; 02-19-17 at 07:47 AM.
Bilge_Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-17, 10:27 AM   #4472
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilge_Rat View Post
hi,
the fuel ranges in SH4 have certain issues which result from the fact that SH4 is built on the SH3 code which assumed 2 engines vs 4 for a Fleet Boat and the SH world is flat which is a bigger issue in the Pacific.

Ducimus increased the range of all boats so you can comfortably transit to your patrol area at "standard" speed and then patrol at 2/3 speed.

2/3 speed does give you the max range, but when used with TMO will give an excissevely long range.

I have been using TMO for years. It is a fine mod, a good base which you can tweak to your personal taste.
Using the range to end and maximum range at current speed, my experience is that 9 knots is the most efficient for most of the newer boats. 2/3 speed is usually 8 knots, which according to the max at current speed calculations is a bit below what you get at 9 knots.

When checking on the max range at various speeds, the batteries must be at 100% or battery charging must be turned off. Also, you can set the speed to a custom number by clicking on the tab below the telegraph instead of using one of the presets. Good luck!

I used TMO and TMO/RSRDC for years also, but now I am running the current Beta release of FOTARS Ultimate. It seems somehow more rich and varied than TMO, but TMO is a great place to start. Adding RSRDC to it changes TMO considerably, but also adds the more historically correct ship movements, which is fun to use if you know the history. That seems a bit like cheating or having a time machine, but it's still fun! And that's why we are here - to have fun.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-17, 11:30 AM   #4473
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
Using the range to end and maximum range at current speed, my experience is that 9 knots is the most efficient for most of the newer boats. 2/3 speed is usually 8 knots, which according to the max at current speed calculations is a bit below what you get at 9 knots.
you are correct, but I was referring to another issue. In SH4, 2/3 or 9 knots uses less fuel than in RL while ahead standard uses more fuel than in RL. This has been tested and confirmed before.

plus, the SH world is flat, therefore some distances can be up to 22% longer than in RL.

To compensate, Ducimus put very high ranges for fleet boats. As I recall 18,000 miles for a Gato/Balao rather than the 11,000 nm in RL.

That gives you more than enough fuel to comfortably cruise at ahead standard to your patrol area, patrol and still get back to base.

You will get much better mileage at 9 knots, but you then wind up with an unrealistic high range of, as I recall, 22-23,000 nm at 100% fuel.

personally, I have modded my TMO to bring the range down to 15,000 nm, which was the value proposed by RFB.
Old 04-06-17, 03:29 PM   #4474
cookiemonste
Medic

Downloads: 78

I got a question.
I get a green screen when I try to enter the captains quarters.
I've googled it but I could only find the "proof that it is there", not how to fix it, so I'm asking here. Also, the free camera does not work anymore, if I pressed "dot" button on my keyboard I could fix the free camera on my sub and other units, this does not work anymore. Is there a way to fix that?
cookiemonste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-17, 04:15 PM   #4475
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

You might be missing parts (or folder) that make-up the Captain's Room Background image, or (more likely), you've got cross-contamination, affectionately referred to as Mod Soup, but not soup like Bleiente mixed up with his mod... Did you have any different mods previously installed? Do you have TMO v2.5 plus the small patch installed (it has nothing to do with the Captian's Room).

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-17, 05:44 PM   #4476
razark
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiemonste View Post
I get a green screen when I try to enter the captains quarters.
Don't do that, then.

No, really. It's pointless. There's nothing in there to do, and the "room" is just a copy of a German boat's. I had thought it was removed.

Quote:
Also, the free camera does not work anymore, if I pressed "dot" button on my keyboard I could fix the free camera on my sub and other units, this does not work anymore. Is there a way to fix that?
That's working as designed. Ducimus removed it as being a bit too gamey.

There is some .cfg file editing that can bring it back.

Edit:
Took me a while to locate it. Here is the instructions to get it working again.
Old 04-07-17, 09:11 AM   #4477
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by razark View Post
Don't do that, then.

No, really. It's pointless. There's nothing in there to do, and the "room" is just a copy of a German boat's. I had thought it was removed.

That's working as designed. Ducimus removed it as being a bit too gamey.

There is some .cfg file editing that can bring it back.

Edit:
Took me a while to locate it. Here is the instructions to get it working again.
Note that you will still have to allow the external views from the Radio in the office. Removing the semicolon allows the camera, but it is not enabled until you actually activate it in the Radio Gameplay Options from the office.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-17, 05:42 PM   #4478
cookiemonste
Medic

I got another problem now, my sub underwent a refit and now I cannot man the deck gun anymore. I can only fire and reload it manually, which increases the action times significantly.

Old 04-28-17, 05:49 PM   #4479
propbeanie

Did you by chance try to purchase a gun, or swap an aft gun for a bow?

Old 04-28-17, 06:31 PM   #4480
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
I got another problem now, my sub underwent a refit and now I cannot man the deck gun anymore. I can only fire and reload it manually, which increases the action times significantly.

old bug leftover from stock game when switch deck gun, refit. TMO thus by default has bow deck guns. If you would like a stern gun, go to TMO folder and look for "optional mods" . Place the aft deck guns mod into your mods folder, enable via jsgme.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-17, 05:34 AM   #4481
cookiemonste
Medic

As I first got ths sub, it had a stock and not movable stern mounted deck gun.
I could never swap the gun before, so this happened after the refit. I'll look into the mods folder.

Edit: tried to use the deck gun mod,t he bug is still there.

Last edited by cookiemonste; 04-29-17 at 07:07 AM.
Old 04-29-17, 06:08 AM   #4482
steevo45
A-ganger

Downloads: 483
Default Sneaking into Truk

Every time I try to sneak into the shipping lanes leading to Truk harbour I get CDR. Is this something others experience?
steevo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-17, 03:21 PM   #4483
cookiemonste
Medic

I got another question.
Hold on, I got two actually.
During depthcharge attacks some torpedo tubes got damaged. My crew would repair them, but when I tried to fire these tubes as they were fixed, I would get the message: Torpedo too damaged. What does that mean.
Also, it happened some times that my crew repaired something but it would become broken again immideately.

How can I fix this?
Old 05-02-17, 03:45 PM   #4484
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
I got another question.
Hold on, I got two actually.
During depthcharge attacks some torpedo tubes got damaged. My crew would repair them, but when I tried to fire these tubes as they were fixed, I would get the message: Torpedo too damaged. What does that mean.
Also, it happened some times that my crew repaired something but it would become broken again immideately.

How can I fix this?
It's an old bug thats never been resolved.Not sure.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-17, 04:54 PM   #4485
propbeanie

I always took the torpedo tube damage as that the crew stopped the leaking to the interior, but that they can't open the doors, else the boat will sink. ie: damaged & leaking exterior doors. The CPO always blames the Seaman for things that break after they're been repaired... bubblegum and baling wire didn't hold... Ubi could have "pretended" that also, and just changed the messaging a little...