Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 10-28-07, 03:35 AM   #1
Metl
Bosun

Downloads: 166
Uploads: 0
Default Il-2 help please

Anyone her play IL-2? If so, is there any way I can adjust the keyboard sensitivity? I either have to just tap the keys moving very little, or bob all over the place trying to target. I've turned off any difficulty relating to flight, but I feel I've overlooked something.
Metl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-07, 03:44 AM   #2
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

There is a forum here at subsim for flight sims http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/forumdisplay.php?f=216 populated by the subsim aviators. They can probably help you
Old 10-28-07, 04:08 AM   #3
Metl
Bosun

thank you. Hey I have one of your mods for 1914. Don't suppose you could point me in a good direction for mods for that game?
Old 10-28-07, 05:30 AM   #4
Letum
Navy Seal

Downloads: 43

There are no legal mods for IL2, but there are a few illegal ones.

You can not play IL2 with any sucsess with a keybord, you need a joystick.
Old 10-28-07, 09:48 AM   #5
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Don't even dare to ask for illegal mods here.
Old 10-28-07, 09:57 AM   #6
Letum
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird

Well, to be fair, all Silent Hunter mods are illegal bacause they modify and
reverse engeneer the games code. Even if that just means changeing a
texture. Thats totally agaist the user agreement and totally illegal.

Thats said, one could argue that IL2 is a diffrent case because the creator(s)
have explicitly said they do not support it and the things being edited have been
made in such a way as to make them hard to edit.
This is, however, a diffrance of morality and not law.

I think it's a real shame that IL2 has been "cracked" and is open to abuse by
cheaters etc.
Old 10-28-07, 10:02 AM   #7
XabbaRus
Navy Seal

Downloads: 5

Yep get a decent joystick, saitek Cyborg is good.

Oh do you want to join the subsim aviators for Wings Over Europe online campaign
Here is the link
http://217.117.216.144/woe/?page=home
First you have to get Hyper Lobby and register with a nickname. Then you fly one sortie on the Wings Over Europe server, usually near the op of the list of games for IL-2.

Once you have done that you can register on the Wings Over Europe and join subsim aviators where I or Hunter will approve you.
Old 10-28-07, 02:54 PM   #8
Metl
Bosun

As nice as it would be to join up, I can't even complete a single player mission. How do you keep your speed up? the autopilot can reach 350 easy, but I have a hard time maintaining 260.
Old 10-28-07, 03:40 PM   #9
XabbaRus
Navy Seal

Downloads: 5

You need to make use of your trims. Set up your controls that suit you, as pick up spped put nose down trim on and keep your nose just above the horizon, that way you will pick up speed and still climb. Also set your guns to about 150 metres in order to make the kill. If you are going after bombers make the range longer.

It takes time but is well worth it. Just keep pluggin away and make sure you get a good joystick, that will make it so much easier.
Old 10-29-07, 07:04 PM   #10
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letum
Quote:
Thats said, one could argue
No, there is nothing to argue since the board's policies are totally clear on this point , if it is not clear to you, discuss it with Neal. No discussion of illegal mods, piracy and similiar things is allowed. Period. i think it is a good rule, it keeps Neal out of legal trouble. It has been said in the past, and obviously must be said in the present again. and without doubt it will be said by the mods or Neal himself if this carries on.

Let's keep them free from that additional workload, don't you agree?
Old 10-29-07, 07:36 PM   #11
Metl
Bosun

I'm not looking for an mods like that anyway. The only thing I would be interested in is increasing the TC, but if that can't be done legally, no big deal. Bombers take forever to fly on auto!

I bought a Saitek ST290 pro. So far I like it. It has made flying and combat a little easier, now I just have the problem of stalling out and spinning almost every time I try to do a high speed bank. I can't figure out what I'm doing, so I just turned off stalls (which I would rather not do)

On a side note, I got my copy at gamestop. You know how they remove all CDs from the case before putting the box on the shelf? Well is the game supposed to come with a manual or do I have to use the adobe file?
Old 10-29-07, 08:42 PM   #12
Chock
Sea Lord

Downloads: 0

Quote:
now I just have the problem of stalling out and spinning almost every time I try to do a high speed bank. I can't figure out what I'm doing, so I just turned off stalls (which I would rather not do)
Sounds like you need to watch your angle of attack.

There are two ways a wing can stall, one is the obvious one, whereby the air isn't passing over it quickly enough to provide lift, and you drop out of the sky, the other is when the angle at which the wing meets the air is too steep, causing the airflow to break away from the upper wing surface and destroy the lift component. And this second effect can happen at any speed, especially since your 'stall speed' is massively increased when you bank over anything past about thirty degrees, and when you get right over in a steep bank, it will be well over double the normal level flight stall speed.

There are two ways in most simulators to detect this (and neither is as easy as it is in real life). The first is to have a force-feedback joystick which will vibrate as you approach a high angle of attack, so you'll know to ease off on the stick a bit (this simulates the real-world effect of the airflow getting disturbed and turbulent air hitting the elevators, which you feel through the stick as it wobbles the elevators about, and through your ass in the form of buffetting.

The other way to detect this in a sim if you don't have a force-feedback stick, is the noise they usually put in sims to emulate the noise of the air buffet (which they generally exaggerate a bit in a sim to help you), this will be a sound that's a bit like a metallic rumble, when you hear that, it's time to ease off on the stick a little. Your aeroplane will talk to you, you just need to know what to listen for.

One thing you need to be aware of is that an aeroplane uses its wings to turn, and it does this by banking over and diverting some of the lift off to the side, since you are over on your side your lift will send you that way rather than up. But this alone will not make you turn, it will simply put your lift vector sideways, so you need to kick your tail around into the turn by using your rudder and a bit of up elevator, which being over on your side, acts more like a rudder. If you do this properly, your angle of attack will be lessened and you'll be less likely to stall, but keep in mind that you will always need to put more speed on in a turn, as you need more airflow over the wings to create more lift, because you're going to spend some of that lift on turning.

It will help you to imagine having a toy plane on the end of a long piece of string, and imagine swinging it around yourself. If you then think about your airplane in the sim, imagine that you must try and keep your aeroplane riding along the circle that your toy plane on a string would describe, and not pulling the stick back so far that when swinging the plane around on a string, the nose ends up pointing into the circle. If you can keep that in mind, you should manage to keep your angle of attack where it should be.

Once you've grasped that, you need to get your head around this bit: For any particular aeroplane, it will have a best speed at which it can maintain a turn, and this is most likely to NOT be flat out (although it may need a high power setting).

At high speeds you may indeed turn fast, but your turn radius will be so huge that you'll never get on anyone's tail, thus you get tempted to pull back on that stick, and then stall. So what you need to do is figure out the best 'corner speed' for an aircraft. This will be one where you can comfortably keep turning all day long, without the speed bleeding off as you turn. Fighter pilots call this you 'sustained turn rate', and it is the main skill you need for a protracted turning fight. But your aeroplane will also have an 'instantaneous turn rate' too. This is a measure of how fast it can actually get into a turn regardless of whether or not you hope to be able to sustain that rate of turn (which you won't as the speed will drop off). This is the turn you use for a snapshot onto a target in a head on pass or something which flashes past you.

It's worth just flying around at various heights and figuring out what all these are. It might seem a bit boring but it will prevent a lot of later frustration.

As an example: The F-16 Fighting Falcon jet fighter can fly at over Mach 2, so about 1,350 (ish) miles per hour. But it can turn its tightest turn at between 350 and 440 miles per hour. so an F-16 pilot has to practice staying right on the edge of the highest angle of attack he can get away with whilst not bleeding off speed (i.e. maintaining about 400 mph. If he can do that, he can probably out-turn most other jet fighters. And if you were to get in an F-16 and try that for yourself, you'd find that you'd actually do best when only pulling about 4.5G, despite the fact that an F-16 can pull over 9G. In this case the trick is to use the forward and backward motion of the stick to control the speed, if it starts to drop, ease the stick forward, if you get too fast, you can pull it back a bit, it becomes a balancing act.

So the lesson here is, smooth precise flying with a deft touch, will win over yanking the stick back in the hope that you'll out-turn someone!

Try this move if you are having trouble: http://www.flightsimbooks.com/jfs/page98.php

Chock
Old 10-29-07, 09:22 PM   #13
Letum
Navy Seal

Quote:
No discussion of illegal mods, piracy and similiar things is allowed.
Strange, the silent hunter mods are totally illegal according to the
user-agreement, same as the IL2 mods.
Old 10-29-07, 09:47 PM   #14
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/faq.php?faq=susbim_faq_item#faq_rules2_faq_item
Subsim.com Radio Room Rules and Acceptable Use Policies[/b]]Subsim.com Radio Room Rules and Acceptable Use Policies [/b]]What is Subsim.com's stance in relation to warez and piracy?SUBSIM Review has a longstanding policy against software piracy. We do NOT allow discussion or even mention of warez, abandonware, peer-to-peer game swapping, illegal download sites, or rip-off websites. Nothing will get you banned faster than pointing people to illegal software distribution sites. Don't ask for serial numbers, manuals, or cracks. Any admission that you have in your possession illegal software can and usually will result in revocation of your Radio Room forum account. Support computer game programmers buy legally purchasing their work. They have to eat too, you know.
Old 10-29-07, 09:50 PM   #15
Chock
Sea Lord

Downloads: 0

I imagine all mods are questionable from a legality point of view, but the crux is how picky the devs are in condoning it.

The ones with any sense will welcome it (I STRICTLY mean mods here, not cracks - I hate software piracy with a passion), as it gives their product longevity (just look at Operation Flashpoint for an example of that working - there were even 'unapproved' mission disks on sale for it in legit games stores that were nothing to do with the original devs).

OM is guarded with IL2, and so the only 'mods' he actually condones are repaints, which is kind of ironic when you consider that when IL2 was being developed, it was in what used to be the home of bent software!

But to approve or not approve is his choice I guess, and the fact that it is tricky to reverse-engineer IL2 and the lack of approval is why it is seen as 'more' illegal. Although being 'less illegal' is a kind of like being 'a little bit pregnant' I guess. I think the main gripe with people is they can't easily make the offline single player IL2 a bit more challenging AI-wise.

Chock