SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-15-08, 04:22 PM   #106
Tomcattwo
Loader

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0

Aqualung said:
Quote:
Thanks for the advice I was unable to get the push to talk key to register no matter how long I held it pressed down, but have managed to get it to work by using open mike mode! Very immersive, being able to just give my commands to the crew, so thanks again for excellent download and advice
Glad to hear you got it working! You might now try to switch back to PTT if you want (use whatever key you like as long as that key doesn't send unwanted commands to the game) to see if that now works, or if you are satisfied using "open mike" mode, then go tell your crew to go kill something

Rik said:
Quote:
I still enjoy your mod very much. I can advice everybody to split german commands from the English by creating two voice_command files. I only use German so there is no confusion for ShSpeech with English commands and triggering the wrong command like launch a fish etc.
The program is very flexible, and will allow users to set up whatever voice_commands.csv file(s) they want - split German/English or whatever makes it easiest for you to caommand your crew. As long as it's working properly, Rik, it's "whatever floats your boat" What Rik did, sounds like, was to take out all the English commands to make a "German only" voice_commands.csv and it reduced the error rate due to interferences...cool! The fewer the number of commands in the file, the lower the error rate should be (and also, the faster the interpreter should work, theoretically).

Rik, you may want to share that file with others.

Glad you are enjoying the program.
R/
TC2
Old 05-15-08, 04:23 PM   #107
Delareon
Planesman

Downloads: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcattwo
@Delareon: What Friedl9te said: plus - please also forgive me for some of the "non-standard" German phraseology (you can blame Babelfish for "Nockel gelassen"). I am not a natural German speaker and I'm sure some of the commands look a bit strange to you. There are instructions in the readme on how to custom tailor your voice_commands.csv file to suit the way you speak, but as Friedl9te told you, you have to put in the commands phonetically for the (English speaking) speech interpretation engine from M$ to understand what you are saying in German. Keep trying
There is nothing to forgive Tomcattwo
Babelfish is strange... no matter what language.. tried to translate some sentences from German to english and vica versa.... LOL is my very academic summary from this tries
But on the other hand i think some of my english sentences are not much better then some babelfish translations *g*

As Friedl9te explained to me its quite hard to "simulate" german language with an
english speaking Software... So it sounds to me that we have to wait for an German
"Addon" for that speech recognition software, to get a real good solution, but i also think that there will nothing come from M$, maybe for Vista but definately not for XP. The reason is simple u cant really put all that commands in phonetically because
there are many german phrases u cant "simulate" in english.
One simple example is the letter ü. I dont see a chance to convert that into an phonetical english phrase.
Same Problem like between most of the other languages in the world i think.

A really good project but the limitations of the M$ Software are horrible in that case.
Delareon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-08, 04:34 PM   #108
Tomcattwo
Loader

Downloads: 2

Delareon said:
Quote:
As Friedl9te explained to me its quite hard to "simulate" german language with an english speaking Software... So it sounds to me that we have to wait for an German "Addon" for that speech recognition software, to get a real good solution, but i also think that there will nothing come from M$, maybe for Vista but definately not for XP.
Yes, that's just the way it is. Don't hold your breath waiting for M$ to come out with a German-based (or any other language other than English for that matter) voice recognition software for XP. Vista, I don't know, but for sure not for XP.

Delareon said some more:
Quote:
The reason is simple u cant really put all that commands in phonetically because there are many german phrases u cant "simulate" in english. One simple example is the letter ü. I dont see a chance to convert that into an phonetical english phrase.
Yep, you are correct. There are some sounds in German that there simply are no good English phonetic equivalents for, and dialectic German pronunciation makes it even harder. umlaut-vowels are one particular example, though I tried (with the help of a natural German speaker) as best as I could to produce sounds that were close. The speech recognition engine is really pretty forgiving, and the .csv file is easy to manipulate so that for those few phrases you find where it just won't recognize the way you pronounce a phrase, you can probably try a few combinations and eventually find a phonetic pronunciation it'll recognize most of the time. It still confuses "neun" (noin) quite often with "null" (nool) - I have yet to find a good way to put "null" in phonetically so it sounds like what it ought to sound like when produced correctly. The recognizer hears "nool" as "nooool", and "null" as "nuhl", neither of which are the way it is pronounced in German by most German speakers.

Quote:
Same Problem like between most of the other languages in the world i think. A really good project but the limitations of the M$ Software are horrible in that case.
Yep, however in MOST cases, the recognizer really does a pretty good job even with our butchered phonetics substituting for proper German pronunciation. I recommend you try to change the pronunciations of the most troublesome phrases for the way YOU pronounce thijngs within the voice_commands.csv file to personalize it for the way you normally speak. In any case, I hope you get some enjoyment out of the program.
R/
TC2
Old 05-20-08, 02:05 AM   #109
Friedl9te
Lieutenant

Downloads: 37

Yes of course, personalisation is the key. The commands I tried worked quite well after a lot of trying. But RL does not give me enough time to work through all of them, therefor I have given up.
Tomcatttwo you are not to blame in any way for what the engine is not capable of.
Its really a great mod.
Maybe we could find some guys with german mother tongue and each works only on a few commands to share the work. That could be a possibility to get through.

Friedl9te
Friedl9te SilentHunter III Help Thread (Sorry in German)
Friedl9te is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-08, 02:24 PM   #110
Tango589
Still crazy as ever!

Downloads: 180
Uploads: 1

Is there any way to disable the 'shoot' command but keep everything else active? I ask as I use the 'open-mike' setting (as I could never get the hang of the push to talk button method) and every now and then my mike will pick up a noise and launch an eel, more often than not at the most inconvenient time!

Otherwise, a great mod that has revolutionised the game almost as GWX.

Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...
Tango589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-08, 10:24 PM   #111
panthercules
The Old Man

Downloads: 6

I love using the version of this for SH4, but I've been reluctant to try it for SH3 (since recently returning to play some SH3) because of the problems of coping with German language commands given the speech recognition method it uses.

I've been using the old Shoot voice recognition program to give voice commands in SH3 since way back, and I found that it's voice recognition mechanism works very well at recognizing spoken Gernam commands, presumably because you can train and specify exactly what sound the Shoot program expects to hear and Shoot will react to it with the relevant key press output. Shoot doesn't really care whether it's an English word/sound or a German one - since it's not trying to match the sounds to a known English lexicon/dictionary but just to a limited number of sounds you define for it.

Unfortunately, the Shoot program doesn't seem to be able to handle any of the cool mouse-based commands that SH4/SH3Speech can.

Without really knowing much about the way SH4/SH3Speech is programmed, it seems to me that it should be possible in theory to separate the part of the program that recognizes the sounds from the part of the program that acts upon what has been recognized. Therefore, I'm just wondering if there wouldn't be some way to combine the front-end speech recognition aspects of Shoot with the back-end recognized command output capabilities of SH4/SH3Speech, and thereby come up with a really great voice command program for use with SH3 when played in German.

[Sorry if this has been suggested/discussed before - just saw this thread pop back up and didn't get a chance to read through all the back pages (recovering from an overnight stay in the ER a couple of days ago and can't spend much time sitting up at my PC desk yet, but SH4Speech was so much fun and I'd really love to use the SH3 version when I get my SH3 install back up to snuff, so when I saw this I wanted to throw this idea out there just in case)]

Last edited by panthercules; 06-28-08 at 10:17 PM.
panthercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-08, 09:35 AM   #112
Redbear
Engineer

Downloads: 33

Great work Tomcattwo! I tried some of the commands on a 'training' mission, and am looking forward to getting it 'fully implemented' (I had to download the speech SDK, and haven't completed training it to recognize my voice yet - but I couldn't wait to try out some commands!) You've done a great job and it is much appreciated!
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-08, 04:11 PM   #113
Friedl9te
Lieutenant

Hi Tomcattwo,

after a long Time of trying finally I have given up. German Orders have not the percentage of secure regognition and translation that is affordable to drive a german uboot.
Do you think it is possible to use another recognition engine suitable for the german language ?

Something like that ? http://www.linguatec.net/products/st.../voice_pro_usb

Friedl9te
Old 08-19-08, 10:18 PM   #114
frenema
Torpedoman

Downloads: 8

Sorry, I don't know if this issue has been brought up before, but is there any way to open multiple tubes for salvo shots? This is the only thing that is really keeping me away from using this mod.
frenema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-08, 07:01 AM   #115
kondor999
Watch

Downloads: 38

1st of all: fantastic mod!

2nd: "Shoot torpedo" (CTRL-ENTER) does nothing. I like it better since it is mouse-independent and can be used regardless of which screen you're in.

Thanks!
Old 10-19-08, 05:38 AM   #116
antidotos
Mate

Downloads: 17
Default french kb conflict

Sorry if this has been answered....
It seems my french keyboard conflicts with SH3peech.
When I test out of the SH3 (in fact OLC) environment it seems working with a new press to talk key (I cannot use the default one, do not know where it is, `è is in fact used by SH3....) I tried the numpad 0 to no avail (even capitalized NUMPAD0 to conform to Delphi standards). Any non english KB users with the same problems ?
Thanks for your help.
antidotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-08, 04:21 PM   #117
minsc_tdp
XO

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthercules
Without really knowing much about the way SH4/SH3Speech is programmed, it seems to me that it should be possible in theory to separate the part of the program that recognizes the sounds from the part of the program that acts upon what has been recognized. Therefore, I'm just wondering if there wouldn't be some way to combine the front-end speech recognition aspects of Shoot with the back-end recognized command output capabilities of SH4/SH3Speech, and thereby come up with a really great voice command program for use with SH3 when played in German.
This would actually be pretty easy. In fact, I could show you how right now because I'm feeling saucy.

To do this only requires that you download perl2exe and can recompile source\voice.pl into dist\voice.exe.

Voice.pl has this line (250):

my $phrase = $_;

This line sets $phrase to equal whatever the python listener script returned. So you could just overwrite it with an extra line below, using something supplied on the command line:

$phrase = $ARGV[5];

Now if you look at your BAT launch files, you'll notice they use:

voice 1024x768 stock 1 right sh4

so $ARGV[5] would expect that you hardcode a phrase on the launch command, like this:

voice 1024x768 stock 1 right sh4 "Fire"

(Note that you may need to remove the quotes from $phrase. Try an additional line of $phrase =~ s/"//g; if necessary.)

Now, every time you run that line, it will start up, issue the Fire command to the game. Now you want it to exit immediately. So find this line (688):

# Must be at the end of the main loop

add this line below it:

last();

Below that you'll see another line:

print "Restarting speech engine...\n";

Put another last(); line *above* that. So this ought to cause it to exit cleanly.

That's it. You're done. Recompile your modified source\voice.pl into dist\voice.exe. Test the changes by running:

and ensuring that it launches, issues the command, and exits, and will repeatedly do so.

Now you just have to program Shoot to launch shSpeech like this:

voice 1024x768 stock 1 right sh4 "whatever phrase Shoot just recognized"

and of course have Shoot pass the appropriate command. shSpeech should dutifully process each phrase and then gracefully exit. Some additional performance improvements would be strongly recommended, like figuring out how to remove line 246:

open(PHRASEIN, "hear \"$ARGV[1]\" |") || die $!;

which is the command that launches the MS SAPI based python listener, which would add a tremendous level of overhead.

I hope this was informative. If the bleating is loud enough, I could do these changes myself and release an update that has this additional "one-off" mode.

Last edited by minsc_tdp; 11-05-08 at 04:24 PM.
minsc_tdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-08, 04:54 AM   #118
Friedl9te
Lieutenant

Dear minsc_tdp,

this all sounds great. But unfortunately at this point there is no way to use a german recognition engine.

I tried Dragon Naturally speaking, but couldnt get results. They offer a english 9.0 Trial, so maybe you can adapt your program to work with a commercial product.
Once it works with the english Dragon version it will work with the german as well.
I hope !

My own programming Capabilities are too poor, sorry.

http://www.nuance.co.uk/plantronics/

Friedl9te
Old 11-06-08, 09:27 PM   #119
panthercules
The Old Man

Downloads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by minsc_tdp
Quote:
This would actually be pretty easy. In fact, I could show you how right now because I'm feeling saucy.

To do this only requires that you download perl2exe and can recompile source\voice.pl into dist\voice.exe.

Voice.pl has this line (250):

my $phrase = $_;

This line sets $phrase to equal whatever the python listener script returned. So you could just overwrite it with an extra line below, using something supplied on the command line:

$phrase = $ARGV[5];

Now if you look at your BAT launch files, you'll notice they use:

voice 1024x768 stock 1 right sh4

so $ARGV[5] would expect that you hardcode a phrase on the launch command, like this:

(Note that you may need to remove the quotes from $phrase. Try an additional line of $phrase =~ s/"//g; if necessary.)

Now, every time you run that line, it will start up, issue the Fire command to the game. Now you want it to exit immediately. So find this line (688):

# Must be at the end of the main loop

add this line below it:

last();

Below that you'll see another line:

print "Restarting speech engine...\n";

Put another last(); line *above* that. So this ought to cause it to exit cleanly.

That's it. You're done. Recompile your modified source\voice.pl into dist\voice.exe. Test the changes by running:

and ensuring that it launches, issues the command, and exits, and will repeatedly do so.

Now you just have to program Shoot to launch shSpeech like this:

voice 1024x768 stock 1 right sh4 "whatever phrase Shoot just recognized"

and of course have Shoot pass the appropriate command. shSpeech should dutifully process each phrase and then gracefully exit. Some additional performance improvements would be strongly recommended, like figuring out how to remove line 246:

open(PHRASEIN, "hear \"$ARGV[1]\" |") || die $!;

which is the command that launches the MS SAPI based python listener, which would add a tremendous level of overhead.

I hope this was informative. If the bleating is loud enough, I could do these changes myself and release an update that has this additional "one-off" mode.
BLEAT BLEAT BLEAT !!!!

Hey man - great to "see" you again - as you know I'm a huge fan and really appreciate the help you gave me way back in SH4 days to help tailor the SH4 version of this to my taste.

Most of what you said is completely "Greek" to me, unfortunately. I think you detailed a way to have Shoot recognize the German language command I've spoken and then, instead of outputting the key-press that SH3 expects as it normally would, Shoot would instead somehow cause SH3Speech to start up, issue the desired command to SH3, and then close itself. Seems like a lot of steps to go through, but if SH4Speech can load and quit quickly enough it sounds like it should work.

Now, just got to figure out whether there's any way in the world I'll be able to figure out how to do this - I think you lost me at "To do this only requires that you download perl2exe and can recompile source\voice.pl into dist\voice.exe.", as I have no idea how I would recompile anything (the downloading part I could probably handle )

So, maybe back to my fall-back strategy: BLEAT BLEAT BLEAT !!!!
Old 11-07-08, 03:55 PM   #120
minsc_tdp
XO

Downloads: 1

Quote:
BLEAT BLEAT BLEAT !!!!
LOL, your bleating touches my heart. When I get a chance I'll go ahead and release a 2.45 that has this capability. I'm sure I left something about above anyway that would just end in disaster for a non Perl programmer, haha!

BTW, the compiling part is really easy: You download perl2exe.exe, then from a command prompt you just run it and supply the updated voice.pl as an argument. It'll spit out a new voice.exe and you throw it in your DIST folder and make a new BAT file. Simple right? heh