SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-10-11, 01:06 PM   #706
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveGoat View Post
Sorry to jump in but when I click the update personel file I get an "invalid arguement to date encode" message.
I'm not sure what causes that. Someone will know.

Quote:
Also when I try to add a new entry in the log it adds the new entry above the last entry.
That's because it automatically uses the patrol start date. You need to change the date as well.

Quote:
I'm using Silent Hunter Gen as well (is this causing a conflict?).
I use it too. It shouldn't cause any conflicts.
Old 08-10-11, 01:25 PM   #707
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Sorry to jump in but when I click the update personel file I get an "invalid arguement to date encode" message.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
I'm not sure what causes that. Someone will know.
Is that the error that happens when you upgrade stuff before the start of a first patrol and the game chages your start date?
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-11, 02:29 PM   #708
LiveGoat
XO

Downloads: 439

Quote:
Originally Posted by frau kaleun View Post
Is that the error that happens when you upgrade stuff before the start of a first patrol and the game chages your start date?
It's a new career and the first patrol is completed (1939, Kiel). Haven't done any upgrades yet, not so much as picked an emblem even.

Maybe I have to wait for the war to start?

@Sailor Steve: But what if I have multiple entries for the same date?
LiveGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-11, 02:42 PM   #709
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Quote:
It's a new career and the first patrol is completed (1939, Kiel). Haven't done any upgrades yet, not so much as picked an emblem even.

Maybe I have to wait for the war to start?
That shouldn't be an issue, I always start in Aug 1939 and I've never had that error.

There is one error that is known to pop up in Commander if you upgrade anything prior to starting the first patrol of a career that causes the start date to be pushed back in the game. There's also something referred to in the Commander User Guide but I don't know if it's the same one or not.

Quote:
@Sailor Steve: But what if I have multiple entries for the same date?
AFAIK you can add anything for any date/time in between the start and end dates of the patrol. You just can't add entries with a date/timestamp before the first entry or after the last entry already provided by the game.

I don't know why having two entries for the same date would be a problem, they would have different timestamps so should not seem like duplicates of or additions to other entries for the same dates. OTOH I don't know that I've tried it, usually I just edit the ones that are already there.
Old 08-10-11, 06:49 PM   #710
LiveGoat
XO

Quote:
That shouldn't be an issue, I always start in Aug 1939 and I've never had that error.

There is one error that is known to pop up in Commander if you upgrade anything prior to starting the first patrol of a career that causes the start date to be pushed back in the game. There's also something referred to in the Commander User Guide but I don't know if it's the same one or not.

AFAIK you can add anything for any date/time in between the start and end dates of the patrol. You just can't add entries with a date/timestamp before the first entry or after the last entry already provided by the game.

I don't know why having two entries for the same date would be a problem, they would have different timestamps so should not seem like duplicates of or additions to other entries for the same dates. OTOH I don't know that I've tried it, usually I just edit the ones that are already there.
Hmm... it's prolly my install then.

Oh well I'll use a ktb template for this career till Kapitain Richter bites the dust (and he will bite the dust ). then try another install. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 08-10-11, 07:16 PM   #711
HW3
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453

This is what the SH3 Commander manual has to say.

Quote:
I am now getting “Invalid argument to date encode” errors when I select an existing career. Why does this happen and how can I fix it?

This error may appear after you delete save games through SH3. Sometimes, SH3 does not clean up after itself well, resulting in a data integrity problem. To avoid getting this error, always reload your career in SH3 (only needs to be to the barracks screen) after deleting any save games, as doing so allows SH3 to correct the problem.

"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-11, 07:27 PM   #712
LiveGoat
XO

Quote:
Originally Posted by HW3 View Post
Bingo! Serves me right for not reading the damn manual!

(Actually I have just not recently) still
Old 08-10-11, 07:36 PM   #713
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Yep, I knew I'd seen that phrase in there somewhere. Just couldn't remember what he said caused that particular error. Thanks for looking it up and getting it sorted.

@LiveGoat: I am wondering if that could also be the cause of the problems with dated entries in the log editor. I don't know why it would be, but you never know. Here's hoping you can kill both birds with one stone.
Old 08-10-11, 11:07 PM   #714
HW3
Navy Seal

Glad to be of service. I was curious myself, as I knew I had read it in there before, and wanted to refresh my memory on what it said exactly. It is located in the troubleshooting section.

Old 08-11-11, 07:28 AM   #715
BogdaNz
Loader

Downloads: 105

i want to ask, i am now at lorient 2 flottila ,and i want to change my u-boat ,but i want to do realistic ,to go from lorient to kiel or Wilhelmshaven to comission my new u-boat .
But when i go to Wilhelmshaven i will have same options like i have in lorient ?
Old 08-11-11, 07:45 AM   #716
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogdaNz View Post
i want to ask, i am now at lorient 2 flottila ,and i want to change my u-boat ,but i want to do realistic ,to go from lorient to kiel or Wilhelmshaven to comission my new u-boat .
But when i go to Wilhelmshaven i will have same options like i have in lorient ?
I'm not sure but I think in order to have all the "in base" options available, you have to be docked at the port the game recognizes as the home base for your flotilla.
Old 08-11-11, 08:07 AM   #717
BogdaNz
Loader

Downloads: 105

Quote:
I'm not sure but I think in order to have all the "in base" options available, you have to be docked at the port the game recognizes as the home base for your flotilla.
i think your right
Old 08-11-11, 09:00 AM   #718
HW3
Navy Seal

In WaW, we have what we call commissioning cruises where we start from the builders base and end up at our home base. They are played as single missions.

Old 08-11-11, 11:44 AM   #719
Obltn Strand
Commodore

Downloads: 135

Only way to get realistic transfer patrol is to change submarine before your flotilla moves to french atlantic bases. As for Lorient/Wilhelmshaven this before june/july -40.
Old 08-11-11, 12:12 PM   #720
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
In WaW, we have what we call commissioning cruises where we start from the builders base and end up at our home base. They are played as single missions.

Yes you can start anywhere in a single mission but the game only recognises the home base as the place where all options are available, hence you can't upgrade at resupply ships or milch cows.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote

Tags
sh3 commander