SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-27-09, 02:12 AM   #136
JScones
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlax
Sorry for the newbie question here but if I install SH Commander will I have any re-supply at sea feature? DO I need another mod like GWX? I am finding all of this install and re-install stuff abit confusing. No one seems to be clear on outlining the sequence of installation. Right now I have nothing I plan on installing SH III and patch If I just install SH COmmander will I get some re-supply at sea ability. I am afraid to tackle the install of GWX it sounds like I would have to alot of installing and uninstalling maybe I should just be happy with SH Commander! Please let me know your thoughts
SH3Cmdr's strength lies in its ability to provide you with flexibility and variability when playing your preferred modified installation of SH3. Accordingly, it ships with only a small number of "default" mods, preferring instead to (let you) enhance what you already have installed.

It does not include a resupply at sea mod. For this you will need a dedicated milk cow mod or one of the "supermods". Ironically, GWX is prolly the easiest supermod to install (much easier than d/l all the main individual mods and installing them yourself). There's a GWX sticky thread here with all the info you need. There's also stickies for the other "supermods" as well. Read them all, then choose the one(s) you like the sound of the most.

IMHO though, you need SH3Cmdr in any event. If you are in any doubt over this (obviously) biased statement, then just search the forum...there's plenty of satisfied users.

BTW, you can install and commence using SH3Cmdr at any time. It's totally independent of SH3 and any (super)mod. Just follow the instructions in my first post in this thread.
JScones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-09, 06:18 AM   #137
itman
Seaman

Downloads: 144
Default Roll-back glitch

first off: the most useful companion to SHIII.

Having installed the latest and brightest ComSupDelThalCommSpecUltEd. Followed closely the instructions given in the readme. On my XP-Box only superuser is allowed to install programs, so I've given read/write permission to the every-day-user too. Otherwise ComSupDelThalCommSpecUltEd won't let me modify SH3Cmdr.ini. Everything works fine except "roll-back" isn't automatically. I've checked the "automatically Roll-back"-check-box. But when quiting the game, roll-back does not happen. I have to push the roll-back-button.

In SH3Cmdr.ini the function "AutoRollback" is set to 1.

Did I miss something?

cheers

itman
itman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-09, 06:49 AM   #138
JScones
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by itman
Thank you.
Quote:
Having installed the latest and brightest ComSupDelThalCommSpecUltEd. Followed closely the instructions given in the readme. On my XP-Box only superuser is allowed to install programs, so I've given read/write permission to the every-day-user too. Otherwise ComSupDelThalCommSpecUltEd won't let me modify SH3Cmdr.ini. Everything works fine except "roll-back" isn't automatically. I've checked the "automatically Roll-back"-check-box. But when quiting the game, roll-back does not happen. I have to push the roll-back-button.

Did I miss something?
Because you mention specific permissions that are set on your computer, the first thing you need to ensure is that you are logged in under your Computer administrator account (check under Control Panel|User Accounts). This is the default superuser account. If you are, then your problem may be related to how your system's permissions are set up. Not sure that I can help too much there without knowing how it is set up.

Otherwise, ordinarily this problem may occur if:
  • you are running an auto shut down application like FSAutoStart or similar to close background processes before SH3 loads.
  • you are running a firewall or virus scanner while SH3 is running. Some can be over zealous and may block SH3Cmdr from doing its job.
If so, then turn all such applications off and test again. If auto rollback then works, turn each application back on and retest, until you find the one that is conflicting. Once you find it, you can check its settings and tweak as necessary.

Last edited by JScones; 02-27-09 at 07:02 AM.
Old 02-27-09, 08:11 AM   #139
itman
Seaman

Downloads: 144

Quote:
Originally Posted by JScones
Quote:
Thank you.
Quote:

Did I miss something?
Because you mention specific permissions that are set on your computer, the first thing you need to ensure is that you are logged in under your Computer administrator account (check under Control Panel|User Accounts). This is the default superuser account. If you are, then your problem may be related to how your system's permissions are set up. Not sure that I can help too much there without knowing how it is set up.

Otherwise, ordinarily this problem may occur if:
  • you are running an auto shut down application like FSAutoStart or similar to close background processes before SH3 loads.
  • you are running a firewall or virus scanner while SH3 is running. Some can be over zealous and may block SH3Cmdr from doing its job.
If so, then turn all such applications off and test again. If auto rollback then works, turn each application back on and retest, until you find the one that is conflicting. Once you find it, you can check its settings and tweak as necessary.
You pointed me in the right direction. Just had to add my user-account to the "main-user-group" (Hauptbenutzer) and everything works like a charm. Allbeit it states that my account has now "some striped down admin-rights" .

And yes, I had to shut down Comodo-Internet-Security to free up more RAM. As I perfomed a test-run, comodo still running, it kicks in about SH3cmdr.exe is about to run SH3.exe...

So thank you very much and have a nice day.

cheers

itman
itman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-09, 01:33 PM   #140
BellJack95
Bosun

Downloads: 149
Default Thank You for coming out of retirement!

JScones - thank you!

Also, my my thanks to those who extorted or blackmailed JScones into coming back to craft this update for SH3 commander.

I am coming back to SH3 after some time on shoreleave, and installed the GWX3.0 GOLD and found this most excellent update for SH3 Commander called....

"SH3 Commander-The Complete Super Deluxe Thallium Commander's Special Ultimate Edition"

I had to look up "Thallium" on the Internet and did not realize it was toxic! I guess that is the stuff in this release that greatly enhances the playing experience of SH3 commander. Being a cautious person, I make sure that I practice "safe sub" techniquies when playing to avoid premature exposure to thallium! My thanks JScones!
BellJack95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-09, 05:27 PM   #141
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellJack95
Also, my my thanks to those who extorted or blackmailed JScones into coming back to craft this update for SH3 commander.
You're welcome. Actually it wasn't extortion or blackmail, it was more like "Um, I had this idea..." and he said "I like that! I have to do something about it!"

Such is the nature of creativity. You just can't leave well enough alone.

Thank goodness.
Old 03-17-09, 02:23 AM   #142
JScones
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellJack95
I had to look up "Thallium" on the Internet and did not realize it was toxic! I guess that is the stuff in this release that greatly enhances the playing experience of SH3 commander. Being a cautious person, I make sure that I practice "safe sub" techniquies when playing to avoid premature exposure to thallium! My thanks JScones!
:rotfl:
Old 03-17-09, 02:49 PM   #143
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

Quick Question Jaeson

Can I save- exit mid patrol and change TC settings ?

And I have auto-rollback ticked.

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-09, 02:24 AM   #144
JScones
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREWALL View Post
Quick Question Jaeson

Can I save- exit mid patrol and change TC settings ?

And I have auto-rollback ticked.
I can't imagine there being a problem.
Old 03-18-09, 02:37 AM   #145
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

Thx for quick reply.

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-09, 01:35 PM   #146
HEMISENT
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 135

Jaeson,
A loyal fan from the past here. I've been away from the game for awhile now and am getting back into it, just DL'd your latest Commander and am reading the threads start to finish to familiarize myself before I commence installing GWX 3.0 and your new 3.2 version. A pleasure hearing you once more back into the thick of things. Looking forward to reading your take on things as I progress.

Cheers!

Bob C
Old 03-20-09, 02:06 AM   #147
JScones
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
You're welcome. Actually it wasn't extortion or blackmail, it was more like "Um, I had this idea..." and he said "I like that! I have to do something about it!"

Such is the nature of creativity. You just can't leave well enough alone.

Thank goodness.
I think most of SH3Cmdr was developed like this - a player writes somewhere "wouldn't it be nice if...", I go "hmmm, sounds like something SH3Cmdr could do" and then it appears in a subsequent release. I always maintain that SH3Cmdr would not be what it was today were it not for such comments from players. Heck, I remember expressing reservations to Beery when he first said that players would like Commander histories, LOL! Glad he convinced me otherwise...
Old 03-20-09, 02:19 AM   #148
JScones
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMISENT View Post
Jaeson,
A loyal fan from the past here. I've been away from the game for awhile now and am getting back into it, just DL'd your latest Commander and am reading the threads start to finish to familiarize myself before I commence installing GWX 3.0 and your new 3.2 version. A pleasure hearing you once more back into the thick of things. Looking forward to reading your take on things as I progress.

Cheers!

Bob C
Hi Bob. SH3's like that - ebbs and flows. Curiously, did you ever complete Type II mals and sabs?
Old 03-20-09, 08:37 AM   #149
Alex
Dominant Wolf

Downloads: 30

Don't know whether it can be considered as a bug or not, but here's me reporting that sometimes, SH3 commander mixes things up a bit in the campaign loading screen (I use the french version), at the end of the text, SH3 Commander reports uboote and Allied monthly losses. And sometimes, I get the last name under which I saved mid-patrol instead of the allied tonnage sunk.
Maybe knowing that is enough for you to find out and fix the bug in question... Tell me if you need a screenshot though.
Old 03-20-09, 09:19 AM   #150
JScones
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Don't know whether it can be considered as a bug or not, but here's me reporting that sometimes, SH3 commander mixes things up a bit in the campaign loading screen (I use the french version), at the end of the text, SH3 Commander reports uboote and Allied monthly losses. And sometimes, I get the last name under which I saved mid-patrol instead of the allied tonnage sunk.
Maybe knowing that is enough for you to find out and fix the bug in question... Tell me if you need a screenshot though.
It's not a bug, moreso an SH3 real estate limitation exposed by SH3Cmdr. Simply, SH3 was not coded to expect more text than what SH3 displays by default. Normally, the extra news brief text that SH3Cmdr adds isn't a problem and is displayed fine. However, when reloading a save game, the save game file name will sometimes overwrite the bottom part of the SH3Cmdr briefing due to where SH3 places the text on the screen. It happens more frequently for French players as the briefing text is longer.

This was first raised and discussed way back in 2005. I trimmed as much fat out of the news briefs as possible to minimise the distraction, and created what I believe was the best compromise between meaningful information and SH3 text limitations. IMHO what's there now is much better than trimming the text to one line or removing the feature altogether (both of which are IMHO gross overkill for a minor visual distraction that only occurs when reloading a save game, and even then not every time).

Anyway, if you find the text truncation too distracting, then, in the absence of the SH3 source code, the only other "fix" is to trim the contents of SH3Cmdr's "Menu variable_**.txt" file and make each entry shorter until it's no longer as distracting. Whatever suits you.

Tags
sh3 commander