SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-08-17, 07:18 PM   #1
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Default Adding a harbor

Trying to add harbor facilities to Cheju on Quelpart island. Specifically for my RSRD upgrade. Harbor traffic will be there, esp in 1945(Tirante had a nice raid there in April 45, along the lines of Barb's visit o Namkwan) Need to know so can add others as well.

Anyone with patience willing to instruct? Thanks in advance.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-17, 11:44 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

I thought there was a little tutorial already on here somewhere, but couldn't find it, so here goes...

I'm going to assume that you'll put it in Campaign_LOC.mis file, and that you're working from a copy (naturally). Open your target Campaign_LOC.mis file in the Mission Editor. Don't forget to do any hand-editing when finished here, btw, to keep the lurker parts "in line" with their timetable. You'll want to place at least two items to make a "usable" facility. Zooming in to the "target" area in SH4, there is nothing to go by for placement, so I open up Google Maps (pick your favorite) and can't find what you named, so I just asked for South Korea, and zoomed on in on your target area:

Side by side on my dual monitors, and it is fantastic... Like this, I can "place" a reasonable "harbor facility"... First thing you need to do is to click on Tools, and then on "Map Location Edit Mode". Now right-click on the map where you want to start, and left-click on "Add Map Location". What you add will go to the bottom of the Explorer list under Map Locations. We'll leave all the settings alone for now, just until we find something to use. There are several options to choose from. If you scroll through the list top to bottom, you'll notice a lot of the locations you might be familiar with. There is "Large_harbor_Type_II and III, and their "_Pacific..." relatives I, II, III, Medium_Pacific_Harbor I, II & III, Small_Pacific_Harbor I, II & III, and of course, VerySmall I & II. Lots to choose from, and their names don't really match what they are. You'll just have to experiment for a bit, and maybe change the settings (see below) so that you can see some of the choices better. I picked from the "Small_I" for most of this. I did put a Very Small II in the middle there.

You could leave the top setting as "2DMapData" for now while you try to make your choice, since everytime you choose something, it scrolls back to that anyway, but once you've found one to use, make that "Location Type" drop-down box read "3DMapData", and choose the one you want from the list in "Location 3D Model". Match that in the "2D Image Map name" drop-down box. Delete any 2d objects you might have placed during your "search". "Name (in editor)" what you want, though it will show up as "_Location name" if you leave it be, and then you'll have a "naming conflict" with each one you add... bother. leave the Priority" alone. The "Location name in game" is as it sounds, so make one of the docks you add a "Cheju". Delete the "Location name in game" in the white box, and leave it blank for the others. Don't forget to set the "Heading" to get the dock turned to what you want. Change the "Zoom Start" to read "50" from the 20000 m/pixels in there, and the 1 m/pixel stays the same. Tick the "Scale on zoom" to activate it, change the "Max Obj Slope to match the others in your mod ("0.550000" in FotRSU), and the "Scale (m/pixel at zoome end) to 14.377808 (in FotRSU). I have no idea what those do, other than I can guess that the "slope" allows the slope that something can sit on without being buried, and the 14.377808 is how close you can get, maybe?? anyway, set the dates you want, and then click "Accept", and there you go!

There are also cities and industrial areas you could add on-shore to "bring it to life", if so desired...

Go back into the file with a text editor and change all your lurker_hlb3 settings back to what they were, if anything changed in the file you chose... Take it for a test ride, and change anything you need to. Sometimes, it's beneficial to "merge" another file with what you're doing, as in this case, "Jap_HarborTraffic.mis" might be beneficial, in case you have to move any traffic in it, which if you do, once you have the docks set and that file saved, then open the other file for editing, and merge the dock file in with it (do NOT click the "Save" box for that). Do the edits there (on a copy also), save, and make yourself a JSGME mini-mod...

I tell ya brother, I can't wait for your combo to come out... Yours and Ralles are both looking really good!

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 06-08-17 at 11:56 PM. Reason: my momma and daddy paid for my grad skrule! er, "grade" skrule...
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-17, 04:20 PM   #3
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
I thought there was a little tutorial already on here somewhere, but couldn't find it, so here goes...

I'm going to assume that you'll put it in Campaign_LOC.mis file, and that you're working from a copy (naturally). Open your target Campaign_LOC.mis file in the Mission Editor. Don't forget to do any hand-editing when finished here, btw, to keep the lurker parts "in line" with their timetable. You'll want to place at least two items to make a "usable" facility. Zooming in to the "target" area in SH4, there is nothing to go by for placement, so I open up Google Maps (pick your favorite) and can't find what you named, so I just asked for South Korea, and zoomed on in on your target area:

Side by side on my dual monitors, and it is fantastic... Like this, I can "place" a reasonable "harbor facility"... First thing you need to do is to click on Tools, and then on "Map Location Edit Mode". Now right-click on the map where you want to start, and left-click on "Add Map Location". What you add will go to the bottom of the Explorer list under Map Locations. We'll leave all the settings alone for now, just until we find something to use. There are several options to choose from. If you scroll through the list top to bottom, you'll notice a lot of the locations you might be familiar with. There is "Large_harbor_Type_II and III, and their "_Pacific..." relatives I, II, III, Medium_Pacific_Harbor I, II & III, Small_Pacific_Harbor I, II & III, and of course, VerySmall I & II. Lots to choose from, and their names don't really match what they are. You'll just have to experiment for a bit, and maybe change the settings (see below) so that you can see some of the choices better. I picked from the "Small_I" for most of this. I did put a Very Small II in the middle there.

You could leave the top setting as "2DMapData" for now while you try to make your choice, since everytime you choose something, it scrolls back to that anyway, but once you've found one to use, make that "Location Type" drop-down box read "3DMapData", and choose the one you want from the list in "Location 3D Model". Match that in the "2D Image Map name" drop-down box. Delete any 2d objects you might have placed during your "search". "Name (in editor)" what you want, though it will show up as "_Location name" if you leave it be, and then you'll have a "naming conflict" with each one you add... bother. leave the Priority" alone. The "Location name in game" is as it sounds, so make one of the docks you add a "Cheju". Delete the "Location name in game" in the white box, and leave it blank for the others. Don't forget to set the "Heading" to get the dock turned to what you want. Change the "Zoom Start" to read "50" from the 20000 m/pixels in there, and the 1 m/pixel stays the same. Tick the "Scale on zoom" to activate it, change the "Max Obj Slope to match the others in your mod ("0.550000" in FotRSU), and the "Scale (m/pixel at zoome end) to 14.377808 (in FotRSU). I have no idea what those do, other than I can guess that the "slope" allows the slope that something can sit on without being buried, and the 14.377808 is how close you can get, maybe?? anyway, set the dates you want, and then click "Accept", and there you go!

There are also cities and industrial areas you could add on-shore to "bring it to life", if so desired...

Go back into the file with a text editor and change all your lurker_hlb3 settings back to what they were, if anything changed in the file you chose... Take it for a test ride, and change anything you need to. Sometimes, it's beneficial to "merge" another file with what you're doing, as in this case, "Jap_HarborTraffic.mis" might be beneficial, in case you have to move any traffic in it, which if you do, once you have the docks set and that file saved, then open the other file for editing, and merge the dock file in with it (do NOT click the "Save" box for that). Do the edits there (on a copy also), save, and make yourself a JSGME mini-mod...

I tell ya brother, I can't wait for your combo to come out... Yours and Ralles are both looking really good!

Yes, I could not locate the tutorial either, thus why I posted.

Yes, that is the correct island. During the war it was known as Quelpart Island, now known as Jeju Island . Yes, that is the correct location of the harbor, Cheju which Tirante raided in April 1945.

Thanks, glad there is anticipation. So far I am happy with what I've done.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-17, 04:59 PM   #4
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

I did find one of those other "Harbor" thingies has a "smaller" breakwater that might be more appropriate. Of course, though, that is a "modern" image on Google, so there may not have been any breakwater there at all, and the docks may have been 10 miles away from where I put 'em... I don't know if you've looked into the history around Singapore, but the game has the harbor on the wrong side of the island. There's a few others that are way off also. I'm thinking though that some of the choices were in the interest of game play, since it would take quite a while to get out of Singapore if it was on the other side of the island. That would be similar to Sasebo for an IJN base on the Japanese side... - or Singapore...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote