SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > Wolfpack
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-31-19, 02:20 PM   #1
Capt Codetrucker
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Does anyone know if Wolfpack has... a full and navigable world?

Does anyone know if Wolfpack has...
  • a full and navigable world?
  • CelNav capability?
  • Does it have a sextant?
Thanks.
Old 03-31-19, 02:43 PM   #2
derstosstrupp
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 489
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Codetrucker View Post
Does anyone know if Wolfpack has...
  • a full and navigable world?
  • CelNav capability?
  • Does it have a sextant?
Thanks.
I’m not a dev, but I have spent a good amount of time in game, and I can say that my hunch is no on all counts. These would definitely be great additions in the future, if time and budget allows.

I’ve been following your thread over in SH5 Intently, as I too have an interest in being able to nav in-game. I really hope that gets worked out. The only thing I’ve found in any SH Game that scratches that itch is the Stellarium way (sh3 and 4 only). If you are not familiar with that, basically someone wrote a python script that dumps your coordinates into the external planetarium software Stellarium. When you want to take a fix, you run the script, it fires up the software and asks for date and time, and you use the in-software Angle measure tool to measure the altitude of the bodies as you would in real life, and can get your fix. Certainly not the same as having an in game sky and clock that works, but it scratches the itch. Only downside is that it consumes your game time considerably.

One-Stop Targeting Shop:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...WwBt-1vjW28JbO
My YT Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIJ...9FXbD3S2kgwdPQ
derstosstrupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-19, 03:57 PM   #3
Capt Codetrucker
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by derstosstrupp View Post
I’m not a dev, but I have spent a good amount of time in game, and I can say that my hunch is no on all counts. These would definitely be great additions in the future, if time and budget allows.
Thank you for the heads-up.

Quote:
I’ve been following your thread over in SH5 Intently, as I too have an interest in being able to nav in-game. I really hope that gets worked out. The only thing I’ve found in any SH Game that scratches that itch is the Stellarium way (sh3 and 4 only).
Thank you for that suggestion. I’ll see how it goes.

I have really been giving a lot of thought to this. The fact is that mariners sailed the seven seas without longitude for thousands of years. Longitude may make things more precise and accurate, but it is not absolutely necessary. This has been proven by centuries of successful mariner explorations. It is with this idea that I am attempting “Phase 1” which is to navigate from Memal Harbor to Kiel Harbor using only DR, a careful record of my time and speed, and the latitude obtained from the in-game sextant. It will be interesting to see how successful I am at making that voyage without the use of longitude.

FYI...

Phase 2 will be to navigate out of the Baltic Sea past Copenhagen to Helsingborg, through the English Channel and head to the Azores.

Phase 3 would be to navigate to The Hawaiian Islands from the Azores if the SH5 will allow. Given SH5 focuses on the Atlantic this may not be possible.

Lastly, I confine myself to real time (TC=1), so this project is going to take awhile. Actually, I have been sailing a tall ship, HMS Bounty in the oceans of Microsoft FSX, but the beauty and experience of sailing in the SH5 world is superior. I’ll report back with my successes/failures as they present themselves and my gimpy noodle doesn’t give me trouble.
Old 04-05-19, 07:32 AM   #4
RedHammer
Loader

Downloads: 32
Uploads: 0

Hope we get the full sub, kind of annoying to see one room containing both radio and listening too, mid ballast is a must also, as well as interacting with the trim valve panel to really get full control over what the sub is doing.
The devs say it's not what the uboat's are about, but I humbly disagree (and my *ss is covered, bought 2 instances of the game so I've supported it twice already), it's about much more than just blowing vents and slamming the diveplanes back and forth like some maniac
RedHammer is offline   Reply With Quote