SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-05-17, 02:34 PM   #1
Nijntjepluis
Nub

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Icon7 Conn, n00bie!

Hi all!

So, this is my first post. Even before brewing tea; I must be mad.

So, I saw The Mighty Jingles play Cold Waters. I used to love my Harpoon classic and Silent Hunter (back in the day when PC screens had less than 16 colours) so I figured I give it a go.

Admission: I downloaded the game illegally. Yes, I know. Pirates are targets for a torp. I did that to test the game on my hardware and see if I did like it before actually buying it on Steam. Which I now have, so I deleted the other copy. There, I do think games devs these days should put more demos out there.

Anyway, hello! I'm Belgian / Dutch / German / British, 41 years old, married to Barbara, two kids: Erik and Nova. I spend my time working, writing, tinkering with my '82 XT550, camping out and playing.
  • LEGO
  • Kerbal Space Program
  • CMANO
  • World of Tanks / Warships
  • OpenTTD

I've been playing Cold Waters for a couple of days now, but I've already shot a Tango at point-blank range, left the water like a dolphin on speed, killed a Foxtrot with his own torpedos and been sunk quite a lot.

Especially in that 'stop the amphibs'-mission, with a Krivak hammering away with active sonar and passing out torps as if they were cookies.

OK, I'll be back soon. Now watch a JiveTurkey vid, learn about torpede evasion. I need it.
Nijntjepluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-17, 02:43 PM   #2
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Welcome to SubSim

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-17, 03:41 PM   #3
SiegDerMaus
Edgerunner

Downloads: 10

For torpedo evasion you almost have to be in an LA or Skipjack class. A Sturgeon or Permit will simply not have the speed for close range torpedo evasion.

Now, that's not saying you can't evade torpedoes in a Sturgeon, you simply have to do it at longer range. Once you detect a launch, change course, depth, and speed, maybe launch a decoy. But if the torpedo acquires you in one of the slower boats, you're dead already.

For an LA or Skipjack, all you have to do is run at flank and knuckle like crazy. These boats can do long range evasion too, but they actually have options if a fish acquires them. Once you get the torpedo in the water warning, set flank speed, drop a noisemaker when it gets close if you're still not quite moving fast enough. Run in a snaking course with hard back and forth turns to create knuckles behind you (Sturgeons and Permits can knuckle too, but can't move fast enough to do it reliably), now you might be able to force the fish to acquire an enemy or one of your decoys, or you might have to knuckle until the torpedo's out of running time.
SiegDerMaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-17, 04:46 AM   #4
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Welcome to subsim

I find the torpedo evasions the most fun and challenging part in this game.
I assume torpedos have a seeker angle of 180° to detect your sub, so you would have to make a 100° turn at full speed to get out of this cone. I suggest to use a sub with a max speed of 30 knots to start with so you get used to the tactics. Then, vertical evasion is important because torpedos have a hard time to keep up following you in the vertical, this gives you a serious chance to avoid impact and gain distance.

MOSS tactics are good to fool ships or helos for a short time, and torpedos all the time if they happen to pick up the MOSS signal, so use these MOSS torpedos...

Good luck and hunting,
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-17, 06:06 AM   #5
Tinman764
Chief

Downloads: 177

Welcome to SubSim!

One mistake I used to make that normally ended up with me eating torps from a surface contact was waiting too long for a perfect solution.

Recently I've been happy to shoot at targets with ~50% SOL as by then the bearing is usually good enough for your torp to find it. Set your activation distance to something reasonable and make sure you keep the wire - this is crucial as you wont know the distance to the target.

If you lose the wire then treat your torp as a threat and get away from it asap.

Doing this will normally let you get the first shots in before the destroyers are in range to reply. The only thing you need to worry about then are aircraft, but that's a different story...
Tinman764 is offline   Reply With Quote