SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-07-17, 07:03 PM   #1
Bungo_Pete
Medic

Downloads: 14
Uploads: 0
Default Why can I not dive after an emergency blow?

...and don't tell me it is because of having to charge air banks i got an eel on my ass screw protocol.I do not need air to dive! FIX IT!
Bungo_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-17, 08:17 PM   #2
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungo_Pete View Post
...and don't tell me it is because of having to charge air banks i got an eel on my ass screw protocol.I do not need air to dive! FIX IT!
I think it's realistic: Your dive planes are too weak to make your multi-ton sub dive, even at high speed, so you need the ballasts to fill with water to help. It takes 2 minutes approx to refill the pressure in the pumps to make the ballasts available after an emergency blow. For more details you'd have to consult docs about real subs, but these details are not published I think

But try this: Go at flank speed and once you reach max. speed, then in 1-go hit W multiple times to set the dive planes to max down. Maybe you'll dive but I doubt.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-17, 08:54 PM   #3
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 16

If you find yourself in a situation where you have to EMBT blow, chances are you're screwed anyways.

USS Kentucky SSBN 737 (G)
Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Yes I was really on a submarine.
ETR3(SS) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-17, 10:48 PM   #4
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Theoretically it would be easy to construct a sub which would dive without the need of pumps: a sort of mechanical device that opens the ballasts to let the water in. Problem is: Such a construction would be very frigid and subject to easy damage in combat, so it's better to have pumps that are well-shielded against explosions etc. If your pumps or ballasts are gone your are in a liquid grave...

So in your situation, the pumps must reload to apply pressure and fill the ballasts with water removing the air which applies forward force and impedes any diving. You need to be that patient, in reallity it lasts more than 2 minutes I imagine which means skippers do emergency blows really at last ressort because any time on the surface is deadly.
Old 11-08-17, 01:51 AM   #5
-Pv-
The Old Man

Downloads: 5

When blowing ALL the compressed air you have stored forcing all the water out of the ballast tanks, diving immediately without charging means you have lost all the stored pressure necessary to bring you back to the surface using ballast tanks. Since there is no compressed air, you have also lost the ability to trim and control your depth. You can take on water to sink, but you cannot push it back out again. Planes and propulsion are not enough to compensate for the water you have taken on to dive. Your boat essentially becomes a rock with an engine.

If you are surfacing to save the crew with enemy nearby, then you blow emergency in order to abandon ship at the surface increasing your crew's ability to survive.

If you are blowing to get to the surface so you can make enough repairs to sail home (in the game, get to the map edge or abort the 3D sim) then there are no attacking enemy around and you have time to recharge.

Other than these two reasons, you should not be blowing emergency.
As stated above, you should only do this to save the crew and in most cases, you have probably lost the fight.
-Pv-
-Pv- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-17, 08:27 PM   #6
Bungo_Pete
Medic

I'm not saying flood the ballast tanks to bring the ship down fast just let in enough water for a slight down bubble(very slight negative buoyancy)
I am writing this after just getting racked by a kresta class cruiser his helicopter dropped a torpedo on me my skipjack dodged the torpedo with a blow and then he blasted me whilst I wallowed on the surface unable to dive
submarines have dive planes for a purpose.
Old 11-08-17, 08:44 PM   #7
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Oh, I just forgot to say: Going to flank and then putting the ballasts to +30 and also the planes at +30 will get you to surface quite as quickly. And also the contrary when on surface and you want to dive (-30 / -30), so no need to use the 'Blow Emergency tanks'.
In practise it's not that long: just steer a big angle with S and hit E multiple times to make the fastest possible surfacing. Then hit X to level.
Old 11-08-17, 09:04 PM   #8
GoldenRivet
Subsim Aviator

Downloads: 146

Just out of curiosity i did a test

Sturgeon class at 500 foot depth, 0 knots

emergency blow - submarine was fully surfaced in 2 minutes 0 seconds

use of full rise on ballast and planes only - submarine was fully surfaced in 2 minutes 42 seconds

repeated the test at 500 foot dept, 25 knots

emergency blow - submarine was fully surfaced in 30 seconds

use of full rise on ballast and planes only - submarine was fully surfaced in 34 seconds.

so in a situation where you are running full bore away from torpedoes, blowing ballast doesnt appear to make that much of a difference
Old 11-08-17, 09:19 PM   #9
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Also if your test depth is about 800, then when crash-diving manually with 25 knots you must recover latest 200 feet before (hitting X to level) or you will exceed 800. To be safe I would level out when hearing the 500 pass. To speed up the levelling I make a hard turn and return to 5-10 knots, also to fool any enemy whith a TMA on me.
Old 11-08-17, 09:23 PM   #10
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 16

Conducting an EMBT blow to evade a torpedo, and subsequently being unable to immediately submerge, is a tactical error on the OP's part, not the game. You made a decision and you learned the hard way, doesn't mean the game needs changing.

Of note though is the ballast system in game actually is performing the function of three systems in real life. EMBT blow, trim system, and fairwater/ bow planes.

USS Kentucky SSBN 737 (G)
Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Yes I was really on a submarine.
ETR3(SS) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-17, 02:30 PM   #11
ragnar1242
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETR3(SS) View Post
Conducting an EMBT blow to evade a torpedo, and subsequently being unable to immediately submerge, is a tactical error on the OP's part, not the game. You made a decision and you learned the hard way, doesn't mean the game needs changing.

Of note though is the ballast system in game actually is performing the function of three systems in real life. EMBT blow, trim system, and fairwater/ bow planes.
This ^^^

Having to actually control this game like a real submarine would be a task all in itself
ragnar1242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-17, 10:54 AM   #12
GeneralGamer
Navy Dude

Downloads: 158
Uploads: 3

If you hit emergency blow by mistake...( never did that ..yeah right lol) You can maintain depth until it is safe to surface with using your speed and planes.

Visit, like and suscribe.

is the best!!!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwe...1_CdFU_Mw4-SrQ

GeneralGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-17, 11:32 AM   #13
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

In my first campaign I have hit blow tanks by mistake instead of emmergency dive, and I didn't realize it until I was on the surface.
Good thing is there were no spectators in my room

Old 11-19-17, 04:57 AM   #14
MC_Hamster
Swabbie

Downloads: 2

Only time I've ever blown ballast was when I was on the verge of being wrecked at the end of a battle. Had managed to take out all the bad guys, but had taken a bunch of damage in the process and then took one final hit from a helo-launched torp that put me over the edge and caused enough flooding that I couldn't get back up before the pressure overwhelmed my pumps and I went to the bottom. Sat there for a while until the Helo bugged out and all was clear, blew my tanks and crossed my fingers. Fortunately it was enough.

As has been pointed out though.. it's an emergency procedure. You should probably expect some discomfort
MC_Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-17, 02:00 AM   #15
Bungo_Pete
Medic

Icon9

well it just happened again(driving a jack) in 323 feet of water set 65 @320 feet emergency blow do 180 cannot dive....DEAD!

FIX IT!