SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-07-08, 10:12 PM   #1
peabody
Admiral

Downloads: 126
Uploads: 7
Default [WIP] Climb Mount Niitaka

Climb Mount Niitaka (working title may be changed)

As some may have read in other threads, I started a Japanese campaign and made the in game Sen Toku playable, but it was never released and some may have wondered what happened. (and some may not care) The campaign work stopped when it was obvious that most of the subs and ships were being built on German subs and my Campaign was started with the sub being built on a Gato and the Campaign on the Pacific Theater. (US/Japan).

Now that Kelto's has some working subs we have discussed it and have decided to complete the Campaign by switching it to the Uboat side. Some stuff just needs to be put into a different folders, but a lot needs to be rewritten. But we have a start.

Since Japan placed more importance on sinking waships rather than merchants there will be more than just "Engage Enemy Merchant Shipping". It should be more of a challange with more engagements with Warships and Task Forces, but still some merchant missions. Especially with invasion forces bringing LSTs, Troops and Supplies to the allied forces.

The initial release will certainly not be a 'supermod' with it's own 'sticky' but we will attempt to do our very best to give you something worth your time. I think the hardest part will be to determine where the line is between not enough targets and too many targets.

Kelto's has done the sub work with help from Mikhayl, Xanto, and Zaza. Takao has provided Japanese names to use in the subs. I have certainly learned a lot from looking at other peoples work. Very little of the original SH4 traffic will be used, but some will be partially used. It will not be totally historical because we are hoping you will sink more tonnage than the Japanese did.

I'm sure we will post some questions as we go, but we hope everything goes smoothly and you will have another chapter in the SH4 Campaign log.

Peabody

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-08, 10:26 PM   #2
ivank
The Old Man

Downloads: 284
Uploads: 0

cant wait! are your playable japanese ships going to be included?

Leutnant z. S. David U. Ziegler
U-105 IXB On Patrol 1

Last edited by ivank; 08-07-08 at 10:43 PM.
ivank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-08, 11:51 PM   #3
Captain_AJ
Crusty

Downloads: 324
Uploads: 0
Default japanese campaign/japanese sailors

I know you all great modders have worked very hard .. iam using Keltos sub in a campaign mode .. However japanese faces will bring it more real .. than german sailors that are shown .. is it s dream ? dont Know about changing faces . But if I new how 2 I would

Captain_AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-08, 12:33 AM   #4
peabody
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimuraijn
I know you all great modders have worked very hard .. iam using Keltos sub in a campaign mode .. However japanese faces will bring it more real .. than german sailors that are shown .. is it s dream ? dont Know about changing faces . But if I new how 2 I would
Keltos is working on it, just have to wait and see how it turns out. And I am not one of the 'great modders', I am only a beginner, but I'll do my best.

Peabody

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

Old 08-08-08, 03:34 AM   #5
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 114
Uploads: 18
Default faces

Right, I forgot all about those , actually there is a thread here somewhere with the first pictures, I re-worked the sailors and merged the faces with those of the sub captains, I still need to find the sailors though

I like the "Climb mount Niitaka" name, was it an operational code name ?

a thought : later on we could ask that guy who rebuilt Pearl Harbor (so we could smash it :rotfl: ) to build us the underground base at Rabaul ???

Keltos

keltos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-08, 09:52 AM   #6
peabody
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by keltos01
Right, I forgot all about those , actually there is a thread here somewhere with the first pictures, I re-worked the sailors and merged the faces with those of the sub captains, I still need to find the sailors though

I like the "Climb mount Niitaka" name, was it an operational code name ?

a thought : later on we could ask that guy who rebuilt Pearl Harbor (so we could smash it :rotfl: ) to build us the underground base at Rabaul ???

Keltos
It was the attack code. They started toward Pearl Harbor before the final decision had been made. If the US had given in at the negotiations they would not have attacked.

Peabody

Old 08-08-08, 04:15 PM   #7
keltos01
Silent Hunter

we should have said in the title that it was an ijn campaign mod too I think, see even I, and I researched a bit about codenames, didn't know that one ! I thought it was tora tora tora...

If the moderators would be so kind as to add IJN Campaign Mod to the title maybe it would help bring people who know how, else we could restart the thread with a full title ?

keltos

Old 08-08-08, 05:00 PM   #8
peabody
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by keltos01
we should have said in the title that it was an ijn campaign mod too I think, see even I, and I researched a bit about codenames, didn't know that one ! I thought it was tora tora tora...

If the moderators would be so kind as to add IJN Campaign Mod to the title maybe it would help bring people who know how, else we could restart the thread with a full title ?

keltos
Well, it's had 150 reads so 150 know what it is. Tora,Tora,Tora was the code if they had achived surprise. Climb Mount Niitaka was the code to continue on their mission and attack.
Peabody

Old 08-08-08, 05:16 PM   #9
keltos01
Silent Hunter

then I guess it's good this way

for intel : the first Jyunsen B kaidai and kaichu has now been downloade 333 times, the new version 2.4 with the new towers and stuff 108 times, so I guess people are interrested

but those would be empty shells without the campaign you're making, I'll try and check the map stuff if I can.

thanks again Peabody,

keltos

Old 11-07-17, 04:04 PM   #10
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

As information (besides the resurrection of an old thread), we have solved the conundrum of the BigMap.dds versus Objectives.dds in the mod, and it will introduce a new anomaly, but the player may not notice it... we'll see. Anyway, a screen grab of the results of the workaround is in order:

The file used for "objectives.dds" will be changed, but will be similar to what you see. You might notice that the map is about two and a half times as large as the map in Silent Hunter 4, so we have to "fake" the game into displaying the "objectives.dds" elsewhere... Anyway, now all we have to do is re-write ~ALL~ the PatrolObjectives files - over 480 mis and tsr files - YIKES!!! But this is the only way we've discovered to display the size of the territory the Empire of the Rising Sun attempted to have submarines in... More later. The work of Peabody and keltos01 continues!

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote