SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-29-17, 01:00 PM   #1
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37
Uploads: 0

Default Stop Code

It started some month ago, suddenly I get a blue screen and the text-.....problem, we will restart the computer for you.

Mostly or every time I had done something else while the computer have restartet. The latest 2-3 weeks it has gone from 2-4 times per month to 3-5 times per day. Yesterday I said to myself. this time you read what it says on the screen

It said I could read more about it in Windows update/stop code.

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-17, 08:08 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Not cool. Which version of Windows do you have, and is it 32-bit or 64-bit? How much RAM do you have? Do you know how many "sticks" there are of it? Was there a Windows Update installed just before the CTDs started? Had you installed any new apps, etc.?

The thing to get is the Stop Code, like "Stop Code: 4 - blah blah blah, Windows has encountered a problem at memory location whatever, etc." (and however it's worded). It will have all sorts of fancy stuff and at least four addresses usually where there was a problem. It does not always "point" at the guilty party. It just points at the location where the computer was when it "Stopped"... I've had issues before where Windows will all of a sudden decide to install a video card driver (oh so helpful) from three years ago that I'd skipped because it had issues... It's easy enough to back out of the install, but those things happen.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-17, 07:22 AM   #3
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

Not that this helps in this instance but if something goes wrong with windows and I don't know what it is I simply turn off the power to the computer, I don't shut it down.
This has saved my PC on many occasions since the problem or sequence to the problem hasn't been saved to the register etc.

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-17, 12:06 PM   #4
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

I have read about it on Microsoft's support side. It have been a while since I made this major upgrading on my computer- To Windows creator. Since then I have a few updates to my computer. It hasn't happen during or right after those updates.

It happens when I'm using my computers- Like I'm on this page-Subsim, moving my cursor around to go back or to move forward a page-then suddenly my computer freeze. I can see the cursor doesn't move even though I move my mouse around....and then about 5 sec later I get the blue screen and the text your computer ran into a problem we will restart it for you and then some more smaller text.

I have windows 10

The rest I can't remember. tried to make a search for it, ´cause I had made a thread about my new computer and the search-thing doesn't work-If and when I remember it and the search-thing works again I will post what else my computer have.

Edit-I remembered I had a confirmation email from the company I bought the computer from.
this is what my computer is called.

HP PAVILION 17­G159NO 17.3"

End Edit

Edit 2

A while after I had posted this thread, can't remember how long time after, my cursor suddenly stopped moving. Moved my mouse around, nothing happened-Ahh again I thought..waiting for this blue screen and restart....then after 3-4 second I could move the cursor again and thereafter I had no restart at all-Yesterday I had my computer turn on for about 7-8 hours and no blue screen.

End Edit 2

Markus

Last edited by mapuc; 07-30-17 at 12:35 PM.
Old 07-30-17, 03:15 PM   #5
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

It might be helpful to download a program called Who Crashed? which analyses the system dumps created on blue screen. Who Crashed? then attempts to tell you who's the bad guy and what you can do about it.

This has been a valuable tool for me.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-17, 03:31 PM   #6
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Got a link ?

Markus
Old 07-30-17, 04:39 PM   #7
HW3
Navy Seal

Downloads: 453

http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed

"Some ships are designed to sink...others require our assistance." Nathan Zelk
HW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-17, 05:16 PM   #8
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Thank you.

"If your computer unexpectedly reset or shut down"

This happens almost every time I turn on my computer in the evening, after it has been turned of for about 16-18 hours. I press the "On" button and after about 5 sec. or so it turn itself of. then I have to press the "On" button once again and the computer start and load its stuff.

Markus
Old 07-31-17, 08:31 AM   #9
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Now, the most common reason for that is a bad power supply. Of course, in that case Who Crashed won't be able to tell you much. So that alone would be a reason you would suspect the power supply. In a desktop computer you just unbolt the old one, buy a new one from one of thousands of sources, bolt it in and you're done.

In your laptop, you're at the tender mercies of HP, who typically has parts for one year, then sells them out, turning your almost brand new computer into a brick. An unfixable brick with a simple problem because all the parts are available from HP only and they can't be bothered to support their laptop for at least 5 years.

There is a reason that desktop computers exist.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-17, 01:29 PM   #10
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

1. Yesterday I had for second day no blue screen and restart at all.

2. About power supply- I have problems with my batteries. Even though I run a diagnostic on them there is no problem. The problem is that sometimes they wouldn't recharge even though I have set a barrier for when the battery should start recharge.

Markus
Old 07-31-17, 02:35 PM   #11
propbeanie

Be sure and go to HP Support and search on your Service Tag, or whatever they call it for the HP computer model. See if there's a recall on the battery / charger. They had a round of bad batteries not too long ago (again). My 15-y.o. son now has an AMD 8-core laptop, and we're watching to see how far this recall goes. It's like those two wheeled thingies of a couple of years ago, where the batteries would catch fire and blow-up, only this is a laptop. Does your battery get very hot to the touch when re-charging, especially by the connector? Generally speaking, if you use a laptop "platform" and keep air circulating under the machine, it's not as bad... maybe...

Old 08-01-17, 01:32 PM   #12
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

3 days without any blue screen and automatic restart and for the first time since 5-6 days in a row-now need of a second start.

Pressed the "On" button and was expecting the computer to shot down after 3-5 sec. Well I was surprised it didn't happen at all.

Maybe one or some of my hardware had a hick-up or something.

Markus
Old 08-16-17, 01:56 PM   #13
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Don't know why I hadn't seen this before.

If you talk to a supporter say this

"Thread stuck in device driver"

Markus
Old 09-01-17, 01:48 PM   #14
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Have some more information to add

Made som search about this problem and on a computer page it was told I should press win-logo + r and write devmgmt.msc and look for conflicts or a little red or yellow triangle warning sign(or what the call it)

I did so, but couldn't see any little triangle-I know how they look like.

For days I had no problems until yesterday when this blue screen of death return. Today I went back to this devmgmt.msc and this time I toke a very close look and under something called System units I saw a yellow triangle on something called

HP Mobile Data Protection Sensor.

I tried to find an upgrade to this unit, but couldn't find anything on the Internet.

Can it be this little thing that makes my computer freeze and restart now and then ?

Markus
Old 09-04-17, 09:22 AM   #15
propbeanie

All sorts of stuff go through that... it's sort of like a "catch-all". In programming, when you get an error message that doesn't seem to make sense, you look at the instruction that came just before what the error points to, so if you're not looking in an error / warning file only, but in the regular log file, look at what shows as loaded just before that "Warning:" message. I do not recall if that has anything to do with the Data Execution Protection, or power management, but it usually has to do with hard drives, whether you are using a USB external drive that is 2 Gig or larger, or an interface issue with an external drive, or maybe a USB stick with issues, but you might get a clue from what driver tried to load just just before that warning...