SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-06-17, 10:25 AM   #1
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Default More Windows Update weirdness...

Can anyone explain to me, why Microsoft is displaying an old driver / app in the "Optional" page of Windows Update in a Windows 7 64-bit install? I decide to go through all of their "updates" and pick and choose the ones I felt OK to let into my little computer. Most of the "important" ones are OK, though their wording on the Support site for most of them anymore are beyond ambiguous, delving into the double-speak realm... Almost like a room full of lawyers have come up with some of their support text... but anyway, on the "Optional" page, is the listing:

"Advanced Micro Devices - MEDIA - 3/21/2016 12:00:00 AM - 7.12.0.7723 9.2 MB"

which, as you can tell, is a bit long-in-the-tooth... Now, I've got an ATI video card that has an HDMI port, so that's my guess as to why they're associating it with AMD, but the MEDIA?... I've got the Microsoft Media Player disabled on my computer because of their intrusiveness with it, and "kill" any hooks to it in any app, such as a web browser, that may try to use it to play media. Is this a "back door" attempt at "hooking" into my computer some more? I don't purchase music online. I've got me a rack of old CDs next to me, with over 450 disks on it that I use for "My Library". (They still try to interrupt me and ask me to update the album info...).

I was curious about this "update" all of a sudden being in their list again this morning, so I clicked on their hyperlinks in Windows Update for "More Information", and was taken to a Windows 10 screen, with the leading topic there "Installing Windows 10 on top of Windows 7". So they're still upset with me for not upgrading to Win10?... So I clicked on the "Support Information" link, and got a blank MS web site page with a "search" box and "Search for what you're looking for:" What in the world?

I've got my ATI vid card updated all the further it will go with the ATI driver. I have not, nor will I ever download their media stuff. Don't want it, don't need it. But why is this showing up in the Windows Update, and today? Are they doing this because of what they did with the nVidia drivers, and thinking that they messed up the ATI ones also?... This was not an update that I had ever clicked on to "Hide", nor was it ever on the list before... ??

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-17, 07:08 PM   #2
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

I just did an update of Windows 7 and locked up the installation again. I did make a system restore disk this time. Turns out to do the same thing as trying it from the boot prompt: nothing at all. Oh, it churns and fusses, claims to fix stuff and exits saying yer good bub.

But the system will never reboot again. Reinstall #2 since June is coming up.....if I can get motivated enough. Microsoft is pitiful.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-17, 10:29 PM   #3
propbeanie

That's why I don't like these daily noodlings in my computer by Windows Update. They ruin "The Hive", which is what they've been calling "The Registry" since Vista-64, which I had on a laptop and absolutely despised, especially prior to SP2... I bet I had to restore that thang a half-dozen times because of one of their updates trashing things in "The Hive".

Probably what's going on with your install RR, is the windows update itself seems to hang. It's not really, it's just having a tough time of it downloading the updates, because Windows Update needs updating, but of course it can't, because Windows Update needs updating, which of course it can't... recursiveness - kind of a Catch-ah Twenty-Two... See if you can't find a slipstream article on the web somewhere of which updates ~have~ to be put on the install disk, so that you can not have all that "hanging" crap.

My thinking is that MS is doing that on purpose with Win7 (especially) and Win8, so that folks get so frustrated that they give in to MS and purchase the Win10 subscription. I've been meaning to do the same myself for a while now, because I really should re-install stuff on my "The Beast" and "freshen-up" a little...

Old 07-07-17, 05:59 PM   #4
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
That's why I don't like these daily noodlings in my computer by Windows Update. They ruin "The Hive", which is what they've been calling "The Registry" since Vista-64, which I had on a laptop and absolutely despised, especially prior to SP2... I bet I had to restore that thang a half-dozen times because of one of their updates trashing things in "The Hive".

Probably what's going on with your install RR, is the windows update itself seems to hang. It's not really, it's just having a tough time of it downloading the updates, because Windows Update needs updating, but of course it can't, because Windows Update needs updating, which of course it can't... recursiveness - kind of a Catch-ah Twenty-Two... See if you can't find a slipstream article on the web somewhere of which updates ~have~ to be put on the install disk, so that you can not have all that "hanging" crap.

My thinking is that MS is doing that on purpose with Win7 (especially) and Win8, so that folks get so frustrated that they give in to MS and purchase the Win10 subscription. I've been meaning to do the same myself for a while now, because I really should re-install stuff on my "The Beast" and "freshen-up" a little...
Actually, knowing Microsoft's sketchy history and eagerness to prosecute anyone posting repair tools on the Internet, I had done my homework this time. Made a system restore disk. (how many times had I seen "You didn't make a system restore disk. You deserve your fate." in posts on help forums?) I had a restore point made just before the update. Nothing could go wrong.

But it did. The update proceeded normally to the end. The dialog box said the update was installed and I needed to reboot. That's the last I saw of Windows. Froze at the loading screen with the bar. The "system restore disk" did several meaningless little stunts but fixed nothing. When I tried to restore to my system restore point, it was invalid. End of show and this is on a 3 week old installation of Windows.

Windows has again fallen and can't get up. A brand new installation is my only option.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-17, 07:57 PM   #5
propbeanie

Windows will wipe the reference to your restore point when it loses 'The Hive' (sounds like a good horror movie title). You will run into the same situation when you do a "fresh" install. Windows Update will not be able to update itself, because it needs a Windows update... lather, rinse, repeat... That's where the slipstreaming comes in, and it's supposed to be 100% legal... Now, I have heard that somewhere before... Was it something to do with the Brooklyn Bridge, or that real estate someone had there in Florida?...

Old 07-08-17, 04:15 AM   #6
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123
Uploads: 0

hi pb
Sounds like this could be the reason why some guys cannot roll back to their previous gpu driver.
Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote