SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-20-17, 11:58 AM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Default 0/10 for new Microsoft laptop

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Micr...Teardown/92915

It makes me sick when reading about such garbage products like this. It shows what a gang of ruthless dirtbags Microsoft has become. With Windows now being not more than a a walking corpus and Microsoft's online "services" getting brutalised by Google, it is clear to see that Microsoft - by means of quality and customer orientation - is just a living corpus, a shadow of its former self. If you throw your money after such crap - selber schuld.

Windows is dead. And Microsoft should be dead.

Not the link to their teardown of the last Surface. Not much better junk it is.

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Micr...Teardown/92362
Old 06-21-17, 08:38 AM   #2
edgar
Nub

Downloads: 0

Laptop $700 reviews http://pc4u.org/best-gaming-laptop-under-700-dollars/
edgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-17, 07:18 PM   #3
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

You're right Skybird, what a load of crap, a small load though!!

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-17, 11:51 PM   #4
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Meh...

The Surface is what it is: a device designed for mundane people who want to do mundane things. It is by no means intended as a high-power, high-end laptop, and it is certainly not intended as a power game device. If you want to do more or less everyday activities, then the Surface should suffice. If you want to do advanced graphics, gaming, or, even, complex business applications, you need something else. Buying a Surface for something it wasn't intended to do is like buying a Smart Car and then complaining about its acceleration ability and/or its cargo capacity...

Also, I have seen much made of the inability to service or upgrade the Surface: again, the intended market for the device(s) is the same market that changes cell phones every few years, among other consumer products, and who are not prone to upgrade their existing devices, and who just buy a new device whenever the device goes out of fashion or fails...

It is what it is and nothing more...

<O>
Old 06-22-17, 02:11 AM   #5
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

Quote:
It is what it is and nothing more...
That sums it up nicely!!

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-17, 04:05 AM   #6
Skybird
Soaring

If you do only everyday easy stuff and no gaming, you do not need a Surface at all. Plus it is hoepless overpriced, at least last time I checked . And then it has plenty of tehcnical problems and issues, with battery, with display... Google it. Lousy production quality, for overpriced charge.
Old 06-23-17, 04:11 AM   #7
Skybird
Soaring

Oh, I just have read it, the latest Surface Pro again come with many problems and issues.
Again the battery, and this time bluetooth problems as well.

Do. Not Buy.

Reece, on your description of people willing to pay and buy as often as possible, this guy agrees with you, probably:

http://www.computerworld.com/article...g-a-phone.html

I buy as rarely as possible. I hate needing to relearn things and reinstall again and repated, repeat again and again, and the money it is not worth it to me. I try to choose my thingsa accordingly, so that I think they give me a long lifespan.I have started to accept that I do not stay state-of-the-art anymore. Its a race you cannot win, and why turning older while being tired?
Old 06-23-17, 12:43 PM   #8
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

The killer on these is that they are strictly disposable: not repairable. Your average lithium ion battery is good for three years and that's it. Keyboard problem? Toss the machine. Monitor damaged? Toss the machine. Need more RAM? Sucks to be you. If the slightest thing goes wrong with this box of horse excrement, it goes in the trash.

I don't mind computers going in the trash. That's how I got my HP all-in-one computer. A customer struggled with it for two years and never could get it to run right. He finally took it to me and I diagnosed a bad hard drive. He said, it's trash, I'm buying a Chromebook.

I put in a new hard drive and have a new toy. That can never happen with one of these piece of trash Surface identity crisis machines. Typical Microsoft "take your money and stab you in the back" business practice. Of course the press is all wetting itself about how great the Surface is.

No thanks.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-17, 03:05 PM   #9
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

And it appears that they have inherent design problems:
New Surface Pro 2017 shuts off unexpectedly? Return it while you can

These things which are not repairable are shutting down without notice.

Quote:
Forums are ablaze with complaints about the new Surface Pro—the one that doesn’t have a model number but is generally known as Surface Pro 2017. Becca05 on the Microsoft Answers forum says:
For some reason my new Surface is shutting off randomly. I check the setting and a few other things but [it] still randomly turns off without warning. I'm losing some of my school work because of it.
That thread has 231 replies, and 250 people marked “Me Too.”
Microsoft employee BryanH has responded:
We are aware of a small group of customers reporting a scenario with their new Surface Pro in which the device inadvertently hibernates. We are investigating this issue.
That left many Surface Pro 2017 customers fuming. Calling hundreds of active complainers a "small group" tends to raise all sorts of hackles.

So here's Microsoft jumping into the same bed with Samsung, making devices too small, too inadequately cooled, not repairable and darned expensive. Hope people literally have money to burn!
Old 07-21-17, 05:34 PM   #10
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

And in keeping with it's self-proclaimed hero status for standing up for the American worker:
Microsoft's Wilsonville jobs are going to China, underscoring travails of domestic tech manufacturing

As the article says: the only surprising thing is that they tried to make its computers in the U.S. in the first place.
Old 08-18-17, 02:59 PM   #11
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Looking at a 1TB Surface Pro 2017? Make sure you know what you’re getting

Ready to drop $2900+ on a non-repairable laptop with soldered in RAM, SSDs (be careful about the plural there), CPU and other normally replaceable items? Ready to be married to the Windows 10 fiasco just to put icing on the cake?

Now comes the revelation that these computers are Siamese Twins, equipped not with a 1 TB SSD, but with two 512s cobbled together in a way that breaks Windows reinstallation and causes the default setup to defrag the SSDs once a week. This is the surest way to kill expensive, non-replaceable hard drives. There is a cumbersome workaround for the defrag debacle but none so far that lets you reinstall Windows and see both hard drives as a single device. Hey, if it breaks you're just supposed to trash it and spend another $3000. If you can't afford "excellence" tough toenails.

Yes, it gets worse. Read the story. Buying a Microsoft piece of horse squeeze is just as bad as buying an Apple piece of horse squeeze.

If you want something designed well for a third the price, get a Lenovo Thinkpad. I've bought five of them for customers and everybody's happy, including me if I have to work on them.
Old 09-19-17, 03:36 PM   #12
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Running a Win10 beta build on a Surface Pro 3? Don’t shut down

Quote:
Somehow Microsoft managed to release the latest beta build, 16288.1, to both the Fast and the Slow ring. If you install it on your Surface Pro 3 and try to reboot, you’ll see a “Surface” on a black screen, the dot-chasing “working” icon, and exactly nothing else. My SP3 has been bricked since yesterday, and the dots are still chasing each other.

How, you might question, could this have happened?
It's from Microsoft isn't is? What exactly did you EXPECT would happen?
Old 11-03-17, 05:29 PM   #13
1mPHUNit0
Chief

Downloads: 60

Lenovo Legion or msi gt62.....to me are now the best
Old 11-04-17, 07:18 AM   #14
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

I'm not a laptop guy at all. Desktops are the only long-term computing solution there is because each component is standardized, with dozens or hundreds of companies competing to produce that part better and cheaper.

If my GPU takes a crap I have hundreds of choices, each of which will plug in and just work. Motherboard? Same. Memory? Same. Optical Drive? Same. All components are instantly available, cheap and better quality than a laptop.

My main computer, which has had a motherboard malfunction, was built in 2007. Since then it has had three motherboards, six processors, four video cards, at least half a dozen RAM configurations.....it goes on and on. A desktop is forever rebuildable, forever reconfigurable, forever useful.

Standard practice for even a high end laptop is that all parts are proprietary, no sources available except for the OEM, and they only stock parts for a year. After that, as parts sell out they will never again be available. Your $1000 laptop becomes a boat anchor. It will NEVER be worth using in ten years, as my desktop has been.

I fix laptops. Every time I get tempted by one of those pretty things, I am reminded, by having to tell a customer that they are the proud owner of an expensive paperweight, that I don't want one. For $400 I can see having one. For the over $2000 that Microsoft wants for theirs that you can't replace an SSD, RAM, a keyboard or display panel in, no thanks. Consumer Reports says a quarter of them won't last a year.
Old 11-05-17, 04:30 PM   #15
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
My main computer, which has had a motherboard malfunction, was built in 2007. Since then it has had three motherboards, six processors, four video cards, at least half a dozen RAM configurations.....it goes on and on. A desktop is forever rebuildable, forever reconfigurable, forever useful.
Counting by the above, one could say you have had not one but several desktops.

My current rig is from 2010, and has seen the gfx board replaced once. Its now about getting retired, I await my new platform in a couple of days, the order has been placed. Costs twice as much as my last two systems together, but should be fast like hell and offer all performance reserves needed to test out VR in all seriousnness. I demand it to hold together for at least 6 -7 years - as long as my old one did. Its a pure simulation and game console, nothing else.

Windows 10, here I come. Hooray. The only way to protect privacy under Windows is to maintain no privacy-relevant data and habits under Windows. Windows for gaming, Linux for everythign else. The onyl thing Microsoft can spy on, is my Steam login and the games I have. Not even my Paypal login will be used under Windows.

i7 8700K, 1080TI - fast enough for VR, eh? It should also be quite stealthy. Usually I would have stuck with my long proven method of always buying one generation behind to get a good compromise between performance and costs, but this time I decided to sin in luxury. I did it even twice this time: for the first time, and also probably the last time ever. I do not complain about the now to be retired system, I think 7 years is okay. It based on y superoslid Asus motherboard, and the almost legenadary i5 2500K, one of the best bang-for-the-buck ratios ever offered by Intel , and superb quality I think. It served me well. And it was W7, which I really liked.