SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-02-16, 10:08 AM   #16
Herr Minger
Soundman

Downloads: 101
Uploads: 0
Icon7

Once again Thank You Kevinsue. I finally had success in firing torpedo's in a training mission. Now all I need to do is edit the gameplay settings as described and Bobs my uncle.
Old 12-18-16, 08:12 PM   #17
pzrshrek
Watch

Downloads: 78
Default sorry

This still doesnt work.

No fool-proof solution.

Congrats that it works for you
pzrshrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-16, 02:47 PM   #18
OldCoder
Soundman

Downloads: 24

Oh wow, I had no idea that you could do auto firing solution in TWOS. The reason I gave up on SH5 a couple of months back is I couldn't hit anything even after watching hours of youtube, and being new to the game it's a real struggle to learn such complexity when free time is limited.

Now I know this I look forward to having another go, which will ease me into playing the game and if that's successful maybe can look at manual firing in the future. Thanks for the info.
OldCoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-16, 05:21 PM   #19
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi OC
Check out my SH5 tutorials for both manual and Auto TDC.
Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-17, 03:08 PM   #20
OldCoder
Soundman

Downloads: 24

Thanks, I did finally manage to sink the tutorial tanker (only taken me 6 months! well, on and off due to very little time) by following the info in this thread and the auto targeting tutorial linked from Berbster's FAQ.

Two things I wasn't sure about. The XO pop-up continued to display unknown target when I'm tapping space bar. Why is it unknown? It was pretty close, and visually huge at x6 scope. How do I get my crew to identify it.

Second, I tried following the auto targeting tutorial (move to 800 range and perpendicular etc) but couldn't get the 1, 2, 3 circles to appear on the mini map, so setting the firing speed of the torpedo was guesswork.

TIA for tips.
OldCoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-17, 07:27 PM   #21
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

This is just what I need. I think I'm getting it, at least I've hit the target twice now, but I haven't found an explanation of the RAOBF rings yet and how you use them in game. Sorry if that's an I can't see the forest for the trees moment. Yes, I've watched the videos up at the first threads, but there is no audio and I'm left wondering about the thought process behind the moves.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-17, 09:48 PM   #22
kevinsue
Der Einzelgänger

Downloads: 363
Uploads: 3
Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid View Post
This is just what I need. I think I'm getting it, at least I've hit the target twice now, but I haven't found an explanation of the RAOBF rings yet and how you use them in game. Sorry if that's an I can't see the forest for the trees moment. Yes, I've watched the videos up at the first threads, but there is no audio and I'm left wondering about the thought process behind the moves.
There is a very comprehensive tutorial available within the game for learning how to use the RAOBF as well as many other skills which can be utilized in SH5.
These can be accessed through the "Tutorial" tab in the main game page and then selecting the appropriate "Historical Mission". There is also a "Range and
Angle on Bow Checker" available during your campaign in the automations tab for confirming the accuracy of the data the you input into the TDC during
manual targeting.

"The finest Captain I ever crossed swords and set sail with"
kevinsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-17, 10:31 PM   #23
Buddahaid

Thanks. I will work with these.

David Bowie
Old 01-14-17, 02:24 PM   #24
Buddahaid

Great! All those tutorials right under my nose and I was distracted by a shiny thing.

David Bowie
Old 01-14-17, 04:50 PM   #25
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid View Post
... and I was distracted by a shiny thing.
At our age ol' chum, that's called: 'goin' for the light'!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-17, 12:49 PM   #26
Buddahaid

I had something more like this in mind.

David Bowie
Old 03-17-17, 04:41 PM   #27
Peter Cremer
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 141

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoder View Post
Thanks, I did finally manage to sink the tutorial tanker (only taken me 6 months! well, on and off due to very little time) by following the info in this thread and the auto targeting tutorial linked from Berbster's FAQ.

Two things I wasn't sure about. The XO pop-up continued to display unknown target when I'm tapping space bar. Why is it unknown? It was pretty close, and visually huge at x6 scope. How do I get my crew to identify it.

Second, I tried following the auto targeting tutorial (move to 800 range and perpendicular etc) but couldn't get the 1, 2, 3 circles to appear on the mini map, so setting the firing speed of the torpedo was guesswork.

TIA for tips.
I got so frustrated in trying to sink, or even get a hit, on the tutorial ship that I finally surfaced and sank it with the deck gun.
Peter Cremer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-17, 11:23 PM   #28
artbysmiley
Nub

Downloads: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Cremer View Post
I got so frustrated in trying to sink, or even get a hit, on the tutorial ship that I finally surfaced and sank it with the deck gun.
Follow this tutorial http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...&postcount=146

It tells you how to activate auto TDC in TWOS and how to use it. It is as simple as lock ship with space bar, unlock ship with space bar. Fire torpedo
artbysmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-18, 03:25 PM   #29
Leon0803
Watch

Downloads: 28

Ive got the exact same problem, i cant hit anything!
Leon0803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-18, 03:54 PM   #30
tHy
Watch

Downloads: 50

The trick is to NOT have the target set when using auto TDC. Counterintuitive, but here's a short step by step. The great in-detail and pretty tutorial with plenty of pictures was already posted by THEBERBSTER above.
Quick explanation:
You mark it once (spacebar). Then (if you've changed the appropiate map settings either via the options editor using the map options menu ingame) you'll see the torpedo solution line right on target (even if it's moving). Then, when you unlock the target (space again), the solution will immediately update and use the correct automatic values (all values will be filled in, and the line will be shown "in front" of the target, where the torpedo would intersect.
Change the torp speed setting to see the line and possibly the estimated time of impact change.

If you want to keep track of the targets, use the "follow contact" from the watch officer (IIRC) or just press X when aiming at the target. That will keep the periscope pointed at the center of the ship and will also continuously update the torp solution automatically. Great when waiting on the map for a target to move into perfect position.

tl;dr : Mark the target (spacebar), then unmark it (spacebar again). To keep the sight centered on target, press X.

If you're bothered by the target being identified as "unknown" (which also matters to see the draft depth of the ship visualized in the torp depth setting dialog), you can either identify it manually or use your officer to identify the target automatically. Remember this requires the appropriate TWoS-Submods to be activated as well as settings to be adjusted to work.
tHy is offline   Reply With Quote