SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-22-19, 07:41 AM   #361
TS13
Seaman

Downloads: 31
Uploads: 0

I think that this modpack offers the same 4GB patch that is on subsim's downloads. Anyway, that didn't work, so I resorted to the one I linked above.

Well, my monitor is 1366x768, which is a weird resolution (almost 16:9, but not exactly). I did not have any problems in the stock game though. Going to check all the mods individually, I wonder if it is OTC that is causing this (I chose 16:9 aspect ratio).

Yes, I am using MultiSH4 as you had suggested to me.
84% Realism
TS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-19, 08:06 AM   #362
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

That LAA is what CapnScurvy uses in that thread of his, so just make certain you have the correct dot Net framework. One big thing about setting the LAA is to make certain that the SH4.exe is not write protected, which it often is after install. Right-click on the SH4.exe file, and choose "Properties" from that context menu. Look at the file "Attributes" near the bottom of the "General" tab, and the "Read-only" tick-box should be empty, else a 4gig patch can't write to the executable file. All 4 gig patches are basically the same, in that they just flip a couple of bytes of data to show that the program is capable of addressing more RAM.

I also don't think the 16:9 ratio to 1366x768 conversion would slow you down that much... Just make sure you've got enough room for the windows swap file, that you are using SH4 v1.5 (Uboats), that your Save folder is emptied (do NOT use an old save), and that you are activating the mod over a fresh SH4 install. If you're experimenting with mods, that can be a bother. As mentioned, the use of MultiSH4 (thread) (download) can help immensely, but it can take a while to set that up also.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-19, 10:19 AM   #363
TS13
Seaman

Yes, I am following all those steps religiously.
All right, I found that the culprit is TMO itself. I made a new installation with only TMO 2.5 in it, and it has the aforementioned performance issues. I reduced all the graphics settings all the way down, tried all possible resolutions, and the issue persists.
84% Realism
Old 03-22-19, 12:44 PM   #364
propbeanie

Well... TMO is not much heavier than the Stock game... it doesn't add much to the roster, and since the SH4 game is "dynamic" in its loading (only loading what is within approximately a 30km area), the size of the campaign is not an issue. Run the LAA app again, using the Intermediate mode, load the SH4.exe in it again, and make certain that you see under the "LAA" column a "True" setting, while the "Original" column would show "False".

You should not be having troubles with SH4 on a computer like yours. It might be that you'll have to start all over again, and un-install Silent Hunter. When you go to re-install, make certain that you are NOT in the "Program Files (x86)" folder, or any other Windows "protected" system folder, so that JSGME works correctly when activating your mod(s). You also want to make certain that you install the game's version of Windows' DirectX v9.0c so that all the graphics function correctly. That will not ruin the current DirectX on you machine. Also, be sure you delete "C:\Users \YourName \SH4 \" and all of its sub-folders to clear that data. Then run JSGME, and put Ralles Mod Pack in MODS and start building it again. If it still doesn't work well, there has to be something running on your computer that is "stealing" clock cycles. You could use Task Manager to see what's running on it now, and how much of the computer any particular app is pullling...

Old 03-22-19, 04:47 PM   #365
TS13
Seaman

EDIT: No, scrap that. The problems started again. Darn it.

Gonna uninstall everything and re-install.
84% Realism

Last edited by TS13; 03-22-19 at 05:21 PM.
Old 03-22-19, 07:27 PM   #366
TS13
Seaman

Update: Uninstalled/reinstalled everything. Same problem.

I know that my second installation of SH4 works, because it works fine for stock game, and it only has problems when I mod TMO 2.5 in.

It is a Steam version of the game, but I have installed it outside Program Files.

I made sure that sh4.exe is not read-only.

I do have plenty of swap space.

DirectX 9 is in the game's folder, so I assume that it is being used. At any rate, the stock version has no problems, so I expect that DirectX is not the culprit.

I decided that I should get a different mega mod just to make sure that I can get a mod to work in the second installation. I chose the new release of FOTRSU. Unfortunately, it appears that I have reached my download limit, so I can't download it.

That's all. For the time being I am stuck.
84% Realism
Old 03-23-19, 12:47 AM   #367
propbeanie

You should be able to download FotRSU tomorrow. However, if you can't get TMO to run correctly, there is something wrong in the set-up somewhere. Did you open the LAA applet again, and check that SH4.exe is indeed activated? Another thing to check for is the MODS folder structure.

So your folder structure should be similar to this:
... only more "crowded" with files and folders. The mods will have a similar folder structure to the game. They usually would not have any animation folders (unless Jeff-Groves or Anvart have been working on it), but you will almost always see additions in the Air, Roster and Sea folders, and usually Campaigns. There should be no repeats such as a "TMO" folder inside of a main "TMO" folder.

If you can run Stock, you should be able to run TMO. Another mod to try is THEBERBSTER's re-mix of Webster's GFO (Game Fixes Only). Peter has made it almost fool-proof (that does not include me). In THEBERBSTEES All In One Beginners Mega Mod List For SH4 221117 mod, the folders are numbered in the proper order of activation. You can skip numbers, but don't put one in front of another with a lower number. There is the "Real Environment" in it, along with MaxOptics, which pre-dates OTC. Since all that Webster did when he made his original was to use mods that "patch" different aspects of the game, there are no additions to the Campaign, no new ships or planes, etc. It would be a good candidate to see how your computer handles a mod. Start simple though. Only do like 1-4, and see how it does.

Old 03-23-19, 02:50 AM   #368
TS13
Seaman

Yes, that's what my installation looks likes (only with TMO 2.5 right now, for testing purposes). Yes, LAA is apparently set correctly.

I managed to make performance a bit better by tweaking antialiasing/anisotropic filtering etc in the NVIDIA panel and turning VSync on, but the end result is that the game looks worse than stock, and performs worse than stock at the same time. Kinda defeats the purpose.

I have previously installed successfully multiple of Webster's mods (installed individually, not the mega mod) and other small mods. That I can do, especially because it is so easy to test.

However, I am looking to increase immersion. I do not care about the graphics, but I would certainly enjoy improvements in the campaign.

Gonna see if I have better luck with FOTRSU once I have the chance.
84% Realism
Old 03-23-19, 01:02 PM   #369
propbeanie

Do you still have your SH3 installed, and modded with GWX? Does it still run fine? Do you happen to have SH5 with TWoS mod?

Old 03-23-19, 02:42 PM   #370
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS13 View Post
Intel i7-451OU 2.6GHz
16 GB RAM
Monitor 1366x768
NVIDIA GeForce 830M
Windows 10

I was assuming that it was the environmental mod causing the performance issues, but it might not be the case. I will be further testing with just TMO (and moving forward by adding RSDC etc) over the weekend.

Note that I have absolutely no issues with stock SH4.

The Large Address Aware program I used is this one:
https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/t...-aware.112556/
It said that the operation was successful. But is there any way to check if this is actually the case?
I'd gamble it is the LAA or your version of .NET Framework. It is not your system.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-19, 03:21 PM   #371
TS13
Seaman

Note that I have currently entered my plan B for a proper career: GFO/Real Environment #1/RSRDC. It seems to run fine as a second installation (the first installation is a virgin installation for creating all other ones). I will talk more about this in the proper thread, but the point is that it runs fine, and I only seem to have a problem with TMO 2.5 (which in various tries I installed both from Ralles' package and alone from subsim's downloads).

No, I do not have my SHIII disc anymore. It is somewhere in northern Europe, along with the friend who "borrowed" it from me. I do not have SHV (although I am considering it, for getting my Atlantic fix).

I have Net Framework 4.7. At some point I used to run the wrong LAA for it, but I corrected the mistake. Still no joy.

If the problem is created by NET Framework or LAA, wouldn't it manifest in my stock installation as well? Not to mention the current GFO/RE/RSRDC which also seems to be doing fine.

I saw that TMO allows me to move freely everywhere on the sub and on deck. I wonder if that's what is causing the problem. Unless I am missing something, in stock I can only move around freely in the command room.
84% Realism
Old 03-24-19, 12:53 PM   #372
propbeanie

In stock, you shouldn't be able to move about the Control Room either... You may well have a contaminated SH4 install, part stock, part TMO, part Ralles, etc., all fighting each other. You mention you have two installs. Did you happen to use MultiSH4 to make yourself another "Save" folder for the 2nd install of SH4? I ask that because that is the probable route of a lot of issues encountered in this flakey game. What I would do is delete the current copy of the game you have. Delete the save folders (usually in "C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4\"). Uninstall the original SH4. Delete any leftover folders or files that are left of the install. You usually do not need to run a registry cleaner for SH4.

Then re-install the game, but you should NOT let it install in any of the "Program Files" folders. It is best if you install it in a folder of your own naming. If you do install it in a "Program Files" folder, don't worry too much about it, because you're going to copy that install anyway and move it somewhere else. Anyway, after you are re-installed, I find it easiest to go ahead and use something like 7Zip to make an archive of the folder. I will usually do it from within the "Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific" folder. I will then copy that zip file, and paste it into a folder of my own choosing. On my laptop here, I have "C:\Games\" that holds all of my cantankerous old games, so I have a "TMO" folder, a "TMORSRDC" folder, a "FotRSUv081" folder, etc., for each copy of the game for those specific mods. Each copy takes about 4G of hard drive space - I will then run JSGME in each individual copy of SH4 for my MODS folder, and I will then run MultiSH4 in each copy, and create a Save folder for each one, such that I have an "SH4" for stock, "TMO" for TMO, etc. I have several copies for the FotRSU mod we're working on, so those are "F71", "F80", etc. Just something that you can remember. What that does, is it keeps the Saves from cross-contaminating the different copies of the original install, and each other. Be sure an run "Tasks - Generate snapshot of game files" in JSGME before you apply any mods! It can help you later by doing that.

Before you run the LAA applet, be certain that the SH4.exe file is not write protected.

Old 03-24-19, 01:30 PM   #373
TS13
Seaman

Are you sure that I couldn't move around in the command room in the stock version? It was Shift-F2 that allowed it, and I think it was my first installation of SH4 ever and I had not modded the game at all when I was doing that (although I had used the Keymapper to remap the keys).

At any rate, that was an old installation, which is now long gone and irrelevant. The "mother" installation that I use currently is completely untouched.

Yes, I pay attention that SH4.exe is not read-only, I use MultiSH4 for new save folders every time, and I delete the Documents save folders before each new installation. It is all outside Program Files too.
84% Realism
Old 03-25-19, 02:55 AM   #374
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

For what it's worth, I just tried "Shift+F2" (vanilla game) and all it did was raise/lower my viewpoint
Old 03-25-19, 06:18 AM   #375
TS13
Seaman

Can you please check your commands.cfg file in the data/cfg folder? Mine includes the following (in a clean installation -or so I believe):

[Cmd53]
Name=Command_room_free_camera
Ctxt=1
Key0=0x71,s,""

What is [Cmd53] in your case?
(by the way, 0x71 is F2 and 0x71,s means Shift-F2)
84% Realism

Last edited by TS13; 03-25-19 at 06:31 AM.