SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 03-23-07, 05:44 AM   #1
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

A message from the Silent Hunter IV Dev Team

A message from the Silent Hunter IV Dev Team:

“We are working hard to correct the bugs discovered by the community or the testing team. Already patch v1.1 corrects many of the issues, and we’re at work on the next one. We have strong hopes it will include both Anti-Aliasing and a fix for the issues experienced when running the game in very high resolutions.

However, some issues pointed out, like for example the 2D appearance of crewmembers, the random counting by the crew or the eyes popping out from the men’s heads are actually part of the protection scheme. Playing a cracked version of the game or even using a no-cd crack over a legal install of SH4 game triggers this protection.

Obviously, running a legit version of the game should not produce these problems. Since we have found at least one documented case where such behavior was experienced by the owner of an actual copy of the game, we have contacted the company producing the protection used by the game.

We will track down the issue and sort it out. In the interest of helping us do so, please post here if you are seeing these issues, while running a legit version of the game."

Thank you,
The SHIV dev team

__________________________________________________ ______

Updated 30 March

Discuss TDC Bulletin here

Last edited by Onkel Neal; 03-30-07 at 03:06 PM.
Old 03-23-07, 05:48 AM   #2
cherbert
Engineer

Downloads: 86
Uploads: 0
A message from the Silent Hunter IV Dev Team

This is great news!!! Thanks Neil. (and thanks Dev team!!)

The anti-protection system explains why I've never experienced the popping-eyes and paper thin crew members. (clever!)
Old 03-23-07, 05:51 AM   #3
partyboy
Helmsman

Downloads: 18

Good to hear.

And.. :rotfl:to the people who complained about the 2d crew/eyes/countdown bugs.
Old 03-23-07, 05:55 AM   #4
Immacolata
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 3

"PWNT" as they say on less mature forums

Thanks for the headsup neal.

Oh, and neal. Please tell the devs back that at least one subsim.com skipper is having a great time here. Got my Subsim-store ordered game yesterday and have been patrolling since.

"The power of the executive to cast a man into prison without formulating any charge known to the law, and particularly to deny him the judgment of his peers, is in the highest degree odious, and the foundation of all totalitarian government whether Nazi or Communist."
- W. Churchill
Old 03-23-07, 05:59 AM   #5
P_Funk
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens
Since we have found at least one documented case where such behavior was experienced by the owner of an actual copy of the game, we have contacted the company producing the protection used by the game.
I wouldn't sink anyones boat just yet.

Old 03-23-07, 06:01 AM   #6
OneTinSoldier
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 46

If they fix the resolutions to give us 'true' resolutions of the 3d rendered world that are selectable as in-game resolutions, then they will be making right what is currently wrong and is a cheat and a lie.

If they give us AA capability... Happy Days are ahead!

Let's just hope they do it.

At any rate, thank you very much for the heads up on the Message.

Cheers

"Variable this is EasyRhino, do you copy? Over." Loud and clear EasyRhino. "Do we have a gig? Over." That's a Roger, we have a gig. Target is painted, start the music. "Roger that Variable. Into attack. Pickling target. Target is acquired and lit. LGB comin' down!" EasyRhino, circular error probability zero. Impact with High Order Detonation. Thank You, have a nice day.
Old 03-23-07, 06:02 AM   #7
fredbass
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 0

Sounds great. Now I'm wondering just one thing. Will my 64bit operating system play the game? (without you know what) :hmm:
Old 03-23-07, 06:03 AM   #8
Father
Swabbie

Let's hope there is indeed light at the end of the torpedo tube!

And a high res one without jaggies!
Old 03-23-07, 06:03 AM   #9
hyperion2206
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 8

Great news, I knew the devs wouldn't leave us in the lurch! I have a question however: The problem that some crew members don't have eyes so that they look like zombies, is that aso caused by the protection system?:hmm:
If someone of the devs reads this: You've done a great job!!

Old 03-23-07, 06:07 AM   #10
Misfit138
Lieutenant

Downloads: 80

Sounds really good. I wish the best of luck to the devs in a mission to squash some bugs!

Probable going to buy this game soon
Old 03-23-07, 06:10 AM   #11
Barkhorn1x
Captain

Downloads: 59

Good, positive message.
Old 03-23-07, 06:13 AM   #12
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperion2206
Great news, I knew the devs wouldn't leave us in the lurch! I have a question however: The problem that some crew members don't have eyes so that they look like zombies, is that aso caused by the protection system?:hmm:
If someone of the devs reads this: You've done a great job!!
Nope, not caused by the CP ( I HOPE!!), as I reinstalled the game before patching and havent applied the *COUGH* yet and last night all the crew members had eyes missing. That was after a long period of max TC, so dont not if that´s the case.
Old 03-23-07, 06:14 AM   #13
Ragtag
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 163

I have the Deluxe box and i did experience eyes missing once and transparent crewmembers. Never seen the papercut crew though

Very pleased to see that FSAA might get fixed Excellent news.
I gotta say i really like the patch. It added and fixed quite some bugs. Good job and kudos to the Dev team.
Old 03-23-07, 06:17 AM   #14
maerean_m
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredbass
Sounds great. Now I'm wondering just one thing. Will my 64bit operating system play the game? (without you know what) :hmm:
The game runs perfectly on Windows XP 64 bit.
Old 03-23-07, 06:24 AM   #15
Potoroo
Navy Dude

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens
A message from the Silent Hunter IV Dev Team:
However, some issues pointed out, like for example the 2D appearance of crewmembers, the random counting by the crew or the eyes popping out from the men’s heads are actually part of the protection scheme. Playing a cracked version of the game or even using a no-cd crack over a legal install of SH4 game triggers this protection.

Obviously, running a legit version of the game should not produce these problems. Since we have found at least one documented case where such behavior was experienced by the owner of an actual copy of the game, we have contacted the company producing the protection used by the game.
I thought only Microsoft was capable of this sort of insanity. Obviously I was very wrong.

This copy protection scheme will be cracked like every other such scheme has been cracked. In the meantime how many more false positives will there be? There are much smarter ways of protecting intellectual property but Ubi seems utterly incapable of moving into the 21st century. It's sad, really.
Closed Thread