SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-04-17, 01:34 PM   #616
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anvar1061 View Post
No problem! I am a tester of your mod. But, if I put everywhere UnitType = 408, I get CTD. So I change it in Mis.file to 407! So that you know.
Good luck!
@ Anvar1061

there are UnitType settings in three different files:

- LLH_LaPlate.cfg in Land/LLH_LaPlate folder
- LHLaPlate.cfg in Roster/France/Land
- Lighthouses.mis in SingleMissions/English/Lighthouses

The three of them need to be matched, or the game will CTD on mission loading.

Tourelle de la Plate alpha v12 contains its own testing mission. If you run that mission, everything should work just fine with no tweaks required. The mod should already be compatible with most megamods / mod loadouts, since we have made our best not to include in it stock files which are also modified by other mods (two important exceptions to this rule being Zones.cfg and Sh3.sdl though).
Of course you can still customize the mod, or test it with your own test mission, but then don't complain with me or Kendras if your game happens to crash. All in all, my suggestion is to consult us before you make any modifications, specifying what is your purpose and what mod soup you are using; I am pretty sure that in most cases we will spare you a good dose of brain racking...

Thank you for taking your time and test our work BTW. Your help is very much appreciated, but let's coordinate our relative efforts
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-17, 02:34 PM   #617
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendras View Post
So, maybe the easiest way is to keep the current paint sheme.
I am afraid the yellow/black cardinal mark system has been introduced after WWII. In any case, the historical picture you have posted here a few days ago seems to discard it. Pity, because it looked very cool

Plain (dark) green, plain red and red with a central black band, all are likely alternatives with their own pro's and con's. Unless we find information on the paint scheme actually used at the time, I have no real preference for one or the other. Most of my remarks on the subject are more me thinking out loud, than actually suggesting/discarding any of the aforementioned options

Quote:
Thank you, that was a good exercice.
I am impressed by your work

Quote:
Now, we have to find an average shape for each group.
More than looking for an average shape, I would rather choose a lighthouse for each category which fits better the caracteristics of the group. I would then model it as accurately as possible, but stripping it down as much as possible of any non-shared feature. Any accessory/specific parts can be stored in the library file, and set as configurable equipments that we can switch on and off at wish.
The advantage of this work-flow is that, within one model, we get an accurate representaation of at least one of the lighthouses in the group, and a generic representation of all the others

Quote:
You return to Senegal ?
No long trips on the horizon, for now

Quote:
For generic lighthouses, I think they should be very simple 3D models, and we should be able to rescale them easily (different separated parts, easy scaling on Y axis to change only the height).
In general, I think we should not waste too much of our time in customizing the generic models. If I had to focus on making a generic model to resamble more closely to a specific lighthouse, I would rather model that lighthouse, maybe using the generic model as template.

That said, I hope to use stripped-down versions of specific lighthouse models as generic models, setting them as "proxy clones" (a "proxy clone" is an unit pointing to the dat file of another unit). This is a method used in SHIV and 5 for representing some sibling aircraft/ship classes, but it should work in SHIII too. Using this method, unit type, equipments and textures can be easily customized for each copy of the main unit, but unfortunately there is not way to customize its height, unless we divided the main model in slices, the lower ones being set as configurable library equipments (but that would be a very unhortodox approach lol )

Quote:
The texture applied to them should be easily tweaked in order to have different textures for the same model, depending on the lighthouse). For example, Le Four and Les Pierres Noires are very similar, but the texture must be different.
No problem for textures, but remember that not always modern paint schemes are indicative of the historical ones
Old 09-04-17, 03:14 PM   #618
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
I am afraid the yellow/black cardinal mark system has been introduced after WWII. In any case, the historical picture you have posted here a few days ago seems to discard it. Pity, because it looked very cool
No problem for textures, but remember that not always modern paint schemes are indicative of the historical ones
I think, our method should be this one : we create lighthouses with colors and light signal of nowadays, unless we have precise informations about how it was during WWII.

Quote:
More than looking for an average shape, I would rather choose a lighthouse for each category which fits better the caracteristics of the group. I would then model it as accurately as possible

In general, I think we should not waste too much of our time in customizing the generic models.

If I had to focus on making a generic model to resamble more closely to a specific lighthouse, I would rather model that lighthouse, maybe using the generic model as template.
I have put a green color on groups that we should focus on first. In these groups, a lighthouse's name is sometimes also green, meaning that this lighthouse should be modeled first, and used as generic lighthouse for all the lighthouses of the group.
Old 09-04-17, 03:37 PM   #619
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
I think, our method should be this one : we create lighthouses with colors and light signal of nowadays, unless we have precise informations about how it was during WWII.
If I have to choose, I would rather paint La Plate red with a black band, and Le Chat plain red, even though we miss definitive clues that those were their paint schemes

Quote:
I have put a green color on groups that we should focus on first. In these groups, a lighthouse's name is sometimes also green, meaning that this lighthouse should be modeled first, and used as generic lighthouse for all the lighthouses of the group.

I hope you have also taken into account the availability of models in 3DWarehouse, as they somehow ease my work...
Old 09-04-17, 04:42 PM   #620
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
I hope you have also taken into account the availability of models in 3DWarehouse, as they somehow ease my work...
My choice is indicative, do as you wish.
Old 09-04-17, 04:56 PM   #621
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
My choice is indicative, do as you wish.
Okay
Old 09-05-17, 02:29 AM   #622
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Maybe we could get in touch with Jean-Christophe Fichou on this subject. He is the author of the article Les phares français pendant la Seconde Guerre mondiale that I pointed you to a while ago, co-author of the book Phares: histoire du balisage et de l'éclairage des côtes de France and owner of the website http://phares-de-france.pagesperso-orange.fr, which is the best source of historical information on French lighthouses I have found so far.
I think no one better than him can provide us with the information we are looking for, or point us to the appropriate sources, and being an enthusiat himself, he could take an interest in our little project. What do you think?

His email address is: JCF@phares-de-france.com. My written French sucks, could you drop him a line explaining to him what we are doing and the information we are looking for?
Old 09-05-17, 04:10 AM   #623
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Maybe we could get in touch with Jean-Christophe Fichou on this subject. He is the author of the article Les phares français pendant la Seconde Guerre mondiale that I pointed you to a while ago, co-author of the book Phares: histoire du balisage et de l'éclairage des côtes de France and owner of the website http://phares-de-france.pagesperso-orange.fr, which is the best source of historical information on French lighthouses I have found so far.
I think no one better than him can provide us with the information we are looking for, or point us to the appropriate sources, and being an enthusiat himself, he could take an interest in our little project. What do you think?

His email address is: JCF@phares-de-france.com. My written French sucks, could you drop him a line explaining to him what we are doing and the information we are looking for?
Mmh, you gave me all the informations. I guess I have no choice ?
Old 09-05-17, 10:37 AM   #624
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Mmh, you gave me all the informations. I guess I have no choice ?
We have no choice. The very same future of SH games modding, is in your and Jean-Christophe Fichou's hands
Old 09-05-17, 12:11 PM   #625
Anvar1061
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 842
Uploads: 0

Quote:
@ Anvar1061

there are UnitType settings in three different files:
In single missions I forgot to do the necessary correction.
Anvar1061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-17, 12:38 PM   #626
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anvar1061 View Post
In single missions I forgot to do the necessary correction.
If you use the mission included in the mod, you don't need to do any correction, unless for some reason you want to change unit type from 407 (as currently used by our lighthouse) to something else.
Old 09-11-17, 09:50 AM   #627
gap
Navy Seal

Yesterday I found on Pinterest this beautiful construction plan of the 1839 Sein lighthouse, the one destroyed by the Germans in 1944 (click to enlarge):

This lighthouse was not among our top priorities, but I couldn't help but model it:

The model includes fully modelled lantern house interior, with a realistic representation of a Frensnel lens visible through the glasses. Everything is in scale*, including the Fresnel lens**

* as you can read from the plan, the lighthouse was 43.46 m high, from the soil level to the focal plane

** going by the lighthouse range, I assumed its optic to be a 1st order lens.

I will admit that model's poly count is a bit too high, so some downsampling might be required, especially for the gallery railing and for lantern room's framework. Other than that, some optional 3d jobs that I might decide to do on the model are:
  • modelling the keeper house and the two radio-beacon metal towers built in the same site in 1935 (you can see them in one of the pictures below).
  • Any small corrections that might become necessary aftre comparing the model with historical pictures.
  • Splitting the model for damage simulation (I will do that after UV-mappi
ng)

Those are all the original pictures I have found so far:

Let me know if you find any other photographs/drawings
Old 09-11-17, 11:54 AM   #628
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Icon14

Really great work, gap !
Old 09-22-17, 03:18 AM   #629
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Any news about La Vieille ?

Old 09-22-17, 04:35 AM   #630
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Any news about La Vieille ?

Working on it right now.
While we wait for it to be ready, here are two simple beacons I have modelled during the last few days:

la pyramide des Chaumes - Saint-Clément-des-Baleines, Île de Ré ( 46°14'36.67"N 1°33'12.32"W)

...et l' amer de Plas ar Scoul - Île de Sein (48° 2'27.45"N 4°52'8.91"W)

They are daymarks (no lights). See if you can spot them with your binoculars