SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-17-17, 12:18 PM   #241
MLF
Weps

Downloads: 137
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post

I thought shadows didn't work in SHIII, and the model I sent you has no shadow models/controllers. Where are shadows coming from lol
I don't think I meant shadows, but more light and shade.

Quote:
.Okay, I don't know if they can make reflections more obvious, but there are some properties in the water reflection controller that we can play with. I see your lighthouse has some nice reflections, how did you se them?
I added water reflection to all nodes with the following settings:-

ClipHeight = 0
Reflection = 1
Refraction = 1
FrustumTest = False (What IS that???)
MaxVisDistance = 0.0
MinVisDim = 0.02
MaxVisDim = 0.2

Basically I think they were the settings Kendras used on his lighthouse at the beginning of the thread so I used them as they worked.

Quote:
Nice! What lighthouse is that?
It's actually a 3DsMax model at the following link:-
https://free3d.com/3d-model/light-ho...ble-96732.html

Not sure what light house it is, but it looked so decrepit I thought it would be a good one to start with. It still needs work, especially with scaling. really need to get my head around Blender as my 3Ds Student license has expired. I've attached another screenshot with La Plate in the distance (same positions as La Veille and La Plate) and it's obvious the scale is out. Any observations and suggestions would be appreciated. Also the texture, although I tried to include OA seems a bit flat - all trial and error.

Quote:
I know a tower raising directly from the waves is a bit weird, if this is what you mean, but that's exactly how the Petite Vielle looks like. Other lighthouse will be more conventional

You are right, of course. Also the smooth sea in my screenshots doesn't help.

regards,
MLF
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Decrepit Lighthouse.jpg (70.6 KB, 10 views)
Old 07-17-17, 12:33 PM   #242
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I think the easiest way is to set all 3D models as land units, or all 3D models as terrain objects.
Old 07-17-17, 12:59 PM   #243
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Even with values without decimal digits in .mis file, and corresponding values without more than 6 decimal digits in locations.cfg, both models are not aligned.

Long=-571143 ----> -4.759525
Lat=5764737 ----> 48.039475

Old 07-17-17, 01:31 PM   #244
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendras View Post
Even with values without decimal digits in .mis file, and corresponding values without more than 6 decimal digits in locations.cfg, both models are not aligned.

During your tests, was the heading for both rock and lighthouse set to 0?
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-17, 03:39 PM   #245
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
could you change your excel sheet in order we can calculate what are the new coordinates in degrees ? Sorry, I can't see the formula ("read only"). I guess I have to divide by 120000 ?

So the new coordinates are :

Long=-4.75953125
Lat=48.039475

instead of :

Long=-4.759531
Lat=48.039481
Your calculations are right: in SH games, each degree of latitude/longitude is always equal to 120 km, so for converting from lat/long coordinates expressed as decimal degrees to offsets from the equator/Greenwich meridian in meters, you have to multiply by 120,000.

I won't update the spreadsheet until we discover where the slight error is coming from (hoping that we do). In the meanwhile you can see the formula of my spreadsheet by unprotecting it (Menu 'Review' => 'Unprotect Sheet'). No password is set

Quote:
I think the easiest way is to set all 3D models as land units, or all 3D models as terrain objects.
Sure it is until we discover what is the issue with the different coordinate formats used in SHIII. If we do,
If we don't, we will set the rock as a land unit rather than as a location, or as a library equipment, similar to the lantern and other subobjects.

Quote:

Something I would be interested to know is: did your many failed tests change at least a bit the relative position of the two parts (making the alignment a bit worse or a bit better, moving the rock from one side of the lighthouse to the other, etc.), or not?
Old 07-17-17, 04:13 PM   #246
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLF View Post
I don't think I meant shadows, but more light and shade.

Quote:
I added water reflection to all nodes with the following settings:-

ClipHeight = 0
Reflection = 1
Refraction = 1
FrustumTest = False (What IS that???)
MaxVisDistance = 0.0
MinVisDim = 0.02
MaxVisDim = 0.2

Basically I think they were the settings Kendras used on his lighthouse at the beginning of the thread so I used them as they worked.
Thank you. I have Reflection/Refraction parameters set as in your model. I doubt other parameters have any impact on the quality of the reflections, but on their appearance/disappearance based on distance from the model, on its rendered size on screen etc (BTW: in short, FrustumTest makes reflections to fade out when their parent object is out of camera).
Curiously, the version of WaterReflection I am using has not MaxVisDistance parameter. Are there two versions of the controller? Might the version you are using lead to a better visual quality of the effect? Other than that, I can only think that I have checked the DX2/3 compression flag of the texture used for reflection. This, indeed, might have an impact on their quality

Quote:
It's actually a 3DsMax model at the following link:-...

Not sure what light house it is, but it looked so decrepit I thought it would be a good one to start with.
Sure, I had seen that model long ago, and I think I already have in on my HD. It is very nice indeed, though I don't think it represents any real lighthouse in particular and, if memory serves me well, its poly count is a bit too high for our needs

Quote:
It still needs work, especially with scaling. really need to get my head around Blender as my 3Ds Student license has expired. I've attached another screenshot with La Plate in the distance (same positions as La Veille and La Plate) and it's obvious the scale is out. Any observations and suggestions would be appreciated.
Learning Blender is a good idea; despite its counter-intuitive UI, I think it is a good and poweful program. I am also slowly learning it, especially for model post-processing. For modelling, my tool of election is still Wings-3d. Should you decide to switch to it, while you learn the more complicated Blender, I am sure you will find many valid tutors on the forum, me included

Quote:
Also the texture, although I tried to include OA seems a bit flat - all trial and error.
That's true. Texture map settting is much more complicated, unreliable and restrictive in SHIII than in it is in SHIV and 5. The good thing is that the more we make mistake, the more we learn. With this mantra in mind, I also plan adding specular and bump maps to the La Plate model (as you might have noticed, the AO map is overlapped to the diffuse map), but I am leaving those as the last task
Old 07-18-17, 02:26 AM   #247
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
I won't update the spreadsheet until we discover where the slight error is coming from (hoping that we do).

Sure it is until we discover what is the issue with the different coordinate formats used in SHIII.

Problem solved !
Old 07-18-17, 02:57 AM   #248
MLF
Weps

Hi Gap,

Quote:

Sure, I had seen that model long ago, and I think I already have in on my HD. It is very nice indeed, though I don't think it represents any real lighthouse in particular and, if memory serves me well, its poly count is a bit too high for our needs
I did a little research last night and I believe the model I converted is the Aniva Rock Lighthouse:-

http://www.michaeljohngrist.com/2011....JT0vfXZD.dpbs

Nice to know it "exists"

Regards,

MLF
Old 07-18-17, 03:54 AM   #249
MLF
Weps

Quote:

Curiously, the version of WaterReflection I am using has not MaxVisDistance parameter. Are there two versions of the controller? Might the version you are using lead to a better visual quality of the effect? Other than that, I can only think that I have checked the DX2/3 compression flag of the texture used for reflection. This, indeed, might have an impact on their quality
i am using Skwas' S3Ditor Version 0.9.9.0. MaxVisDistance is a parameter when editing the Water Reflection controller/property.

You are using controller 10/-1 as am I, with a child node of 6/0 WaterReflection property yet the one I use has this added parameter.....very strange.

None of my textures have the DX2/3 compression checked - I seem to recall a post somewhere where this was stated as causing a problem?????

Regards,

MLF

Last edited by MLF; 07-18-17 at 04:23 AM.
MLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-17, 04:17 AM   #250
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Exclamation How to properly choose and calculate coordinates

So, I've finished to test all possibilities, and here are my conclusions :

- In locations.cfg, coordinates D (in degrees) must have no more than 6 decimal digits.

- In .mis file, coordinates M (in meters) mustn't have any decimal digits. Even if the converted number in degrees (D) has exactly 6 decimal digits.

As D should be equal to M/120000, the minimal move for a land unit is 3 meters (0.000025 or 25.10^-6 degrees), in other words M must be a multiple of 3.

But there is more !

When you convert the coordinate M (in meters) to D (in degrees), you must apply this formula :

for longitude : D = M/120000 - 6.10^-6
for latitude: D = M/120000 + 6.10^-6

Last edited by Kendras; 07-18-17 at 04:36 AM.
Old 07-18-17, 04:25 AM   #251
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Icon12

If you want to test yourself new coordinates, here is a little tool :

http://www.mediafire.com/file/54akqo..._-_mast_ref.7z

The land unit is a red mast (stored in environmental folder)
The terrain object is a blue mast

Old 07-18-17, 05:51 AM   #252
MLF
Weps

I have amended the reflection propertie's parameters, and also removed the DX2/3 compression checks on all nodes in LLH_LaPlate.dat and Lighthouse_Parts.dat. In my view the reflection now looks stronger bringing the light house into the sea rather than on it?

regards,

MLF
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New reflections.jpg (40.3 KB, 16 views)
Old 07-18-17, 06:04 AM   #253
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
I have amended the reflection propertie's parameters, and also removed the DX2/3 compression checks on all nodes in LLH_LaPlate.dat and Lighthouse_Parts.dat. In my view the reflection now looks stronger bringing the light house into the sea rather than on it?

regards,

MLF
Nice.

Could you also add some reflections nodes for the sub parts ?
Old 07-18-17, 06:28 AM   #254
MLF
Weps

Quote:
Nice.

Could you also add some reflections nodes for the sub parts ?
Thanks.

I added the reflections to all nodes in the lighthouse_Parts.dat - when I zoom in on the reflection they are there, but fainter, possibly because they are further away from the sea which is possibly more realistic than having the reflections all the same strength. I'll see if I can improve on them but need to go out now for a couple of hours.

regards,

MLF
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Part reflections.jpg (25.8 KB, 16 views)
Old 07-18-17, 07:42 AM   #255
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Icon14

Quote:
Thanks.

I added the reflections to all nodes in the lighthouse_Parts.dat - when I zoom in on the reflection they are there, but fainter, possibly because they are further away from the sea which is possibly more realistic than having the reflections all the same strength. I'll see if I can improve on them but need to go out now for a couple of hours.

regards,

MLF
Perfect !