SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-13-17, 01:19 PM   #11
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
Yes indeed I know that, but I am pretty sure that any object can be used as a terrain object, no matter whether it is located in the Terrain folder or not.
Yes, with placement nodes in the .dat file located in the Locations folder.

Quote:
I still see an unfixed possible error though: while digging into stock files, I have noticed that the container used for the StaticObject controller, is usually of the type 10 / 1000, not the more common 10 / -1

I hope you get my point
Mmhh ... not yet.

Quote:
You once told me that terrain objects' vertical position is always relative to the sea level, whereas land units get linked to the terrain/seabed. Is that correct?

If yes, no matter how good you match the two parts in wings 3D, you will still need to measure their relative (vertical) distance in game, and make the appropriate changes in Wings3D based on that measure.
Yes, I aligned both models on the verticals axis : I mean both are exactly on the vertical axis, but not at the same place on this axis of course (separated by 1,7, so 17 meters, as you already did). The problem was that the rock was not adapted with the base of the beacon, so I moved it a bit. And yes, it was hard for you to understand what I was meaning. Sorry for that.

Quote:
We are talking about horizontal position, right?

I knew that choosing to set the rock as a terrain object, though more logical, would have caused this sort of problems. That's why I asked you how you wanted me to set it. No problem is insurmontable though.

There is a linear relation in the SHIII world between lat/long degrees and metric offsets so no big problem here: despite the different system of coordinates adopted, we can place the two parts exactly at the same spot.
I once had a converter by TheDarkWraith. I cannot find it anymore, but I can create something similar for you
Cool !

Quote:
If the lighthouse is destroyed during the campaign, or if at some point it must be removed from game (according to historical data on its destruction), the rock would diasappear too, and I didn't want that: the submerged danger should keep there.
IMHO, it's not a big deal if a submerged rock is deleted somewhere in the sea.

Quote:
- I have created a tga mask for the lighthouse, which is linked to the rock object. The icon is inspired by modern nautical charts, no idea how beacons were marked in German charts of the 30s-40s. I hope you like it:

Maybe for SH5, but it will be hard, and probably impossible to have it on the SH3 navigation map. The pic will be totally pixellised and not readable at all.