SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-29-17, 02:22 PM   #631
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Icon12 DECENT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eichhörnchen View Post
I'm still trying to get a decent photo of this painting (the only one I ever decided to keep for myself). It was published many years ago as a birthday card by Polytint Cards

<And on it's first flight 3/5/1936 Capt Joseph Summers Vickers chief test pilot: actual flight! (Eastleigh Aerodrome Archives)> AND by Assistant test pilot Jeffry Quill with new engine and propeller.> JUNE 18,1936>

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 05-29-17 at 02:46 PM.
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-17, 02:26 PM   #632
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

Default Sorry about that

Thanks Jim. When I re-read my post I can see I should have worded it differently: I should've said "take a decent photo"... the painting is one of mine. Sorry about that, but the Spitfire Society link is still going to be useful

This is the photo I took for my Subsim album; colours can vary so much sometimes!

On the subject of which... this aircraft is always painted by others in a light-blue colour. I did a lot of research for this painting (and the plastic models which preceded it) and 'K5054' at this time was painted overall in what was called "Supermarine Seaplane Grey", which far from being grey was a sort of turquoise-green. On a sunny day, such as in the summer of 1936, the highly polished finish would no doubt have picked up a lot of the 'local colour' of the blue sky, which led to contemporary descriptions of it as being a light blue aircraft. Mine is, I believe, the only correct portrayal (the second photo is more true to the painting). Some would argue, I realise, that I should have painted it blue, then, to more accurately show what colour it appeared... well maybe

Last edited by Eichhörnchen; 05-29-17 at 03:45 PM.
Eichhörnchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-17, 03:01 PM   #633
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Default By the way...

I forgot to say I finished this one too:

"White Five", an Me262 of JV44
Old 05-29-17, 03:08 PM   #634
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly View Post
STEED might recognize this one.

.webm version
Split Second.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-17, 07:30 AM   #635
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

I've altered the canopy shape of Yellow Ten... still hadn't quite got it right

(This was the later "blown" canopy shape)
Old 05-31-17, 08:09 AM   #636
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

^Very nice

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-17, 02:18 PM   #637
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

BLADE RUNNER
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-17, 04:53 PM   #638
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Default "D-Day Plus"

Or maybe just "D-Day"... this is my latest experiment with using the PC to help me compose a painting. It really does beat the way I used to do it: shifting bits of tracing-paper around, each with a little part of the drawing on it, until they all looked to be in the right place.

It started the same old way, though... with a very quick sketch to record the idea; in this case a Spitfire banking over a Normandy beachhead, viewed through a thin veil of low cloud and sea mist.

Then some model photography... remembering the direction of the morning sun... I have to get some good shadows on the models to make them "pop". Finally they can be photo-shopped onto a makeshift background with adjustments of size and attitude all done with digital manipulation. I photographed my model from different angles just in case I decided to put 'two' aircraft in, and in the end this is the way it's gone.

Problem is, I'm not going to be able to use my chosen aircraft: despite coming from an "Xtradecal" sheet entitled "Normandy Invasion Aircraft", my research has revealed that this plane was not in the war until July '44, and even then flew only over Holland and Belgium... not Normandy. I considered stretching things and suggesting this was how I fancied the pilot (Tony Cooper) might have returned to the area where he had indeed flown during the initial invasion, in his Spit MkV, but this notion was in turn squashed when I discovered that the decal instruction sheet had mistakenly directed the modeller to put 18" (full size) invasion stripes under the wings, when in fact this squadron used the narrower ones. They got the narrower stripes under the fuselage right, but not the wings. A reissue of this decal set has corrected the error, but my model was built years ago and I trusted the information; it's unwise to trust decal sheets and artists' profiles... always use contemporary photographs if you can get them.

So I've had to re-think the fuselage markings entirely... currently favouring no.485 (NZ) Squadron, who flew MkIX Spits on D-Day.

Now all I have to do is to draw and paint it.
Old 06-22-17, 04:42 PM   #639
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Working on the background still, but I've started to rough in the Spitfires to help me get the colour-contrast & tonal values right.

I think I'll put some invasion "traffic" heading for the beach... the white wakes in the water will follow the same direction as the aircraft and help the impression of speed.

Some more progress; happy with the clouds now so I'll move on to the aircraft tomorrow (remember these are only rough atm).

Nearing completion I think.

Finished

Last edited by Eichhörnchen; 07-02-17 at 06:41 AM.
Old 06-22-17, 06:05 PM   #640
STEED
Lucky Jack

Quote:

Butcher Birds!

Eichhörnchen have you ever done any paintings after WW2?

I liked our white elephant the TSR-2.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
Old 06-23-17, 12:33 AM   #641
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

I loved the TSR2 as well; I once saw a model of it made up and finished in RAF green/grey camo with full squadron markings, imagining what it would've looked like if it had gone into service. What a great aircraft that was and would have been!

To answer your question, no, I haven't got around to post-WW2 just yet. I only started painting aeroplanes this past year, so I began with my favourite period. But when I move on from these I'll be looking to paint Hunters, Swifts, Seahawks, Lightnings, V-bombers etc... all the stuff from the golden age of British-built service aircraft.

But I'd also like to do some WW1 and 1920s-30s civil aviation (my very first aeroplane panting was of the Supermarine S4 Schneider Trophy plane).
Old 06-23-17, 06:48 AM   #642
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

A few different colour schemes of TSR2 models....only the white variant is mine.

Old 06-23-17, 07:03 AM   #643
STEED
Lucky Jack

Quote:
I loved the TSR2 as well; I once saw a model of it made up and finished in RAF green/grey camo with full squadron markings, imagining what it would've looked like if it had gone into service. What a great aircraft that was and would have been!

To answer your question, no, I haven't got around to post-WW2 just yet. I only started painting aeroplanes this past year, so I began with my favourite period. But when I move on from these I'll be looking to paint Hunters, Swifts, Seahawks, Lightnings, V-bombers etc... all the stuff from the golden age of British-built service aircraft.

But I'd also like to do some WW1 and 1920s-30s civil aviation (my very first aeroplane panting was of the Supermarine S4 Schneider Trophy plane).
Hope you paint the TSR-2 one day.

In the mean time how about the Dornier Do 335?

http://www.aeroflight.co.uk/aircraft...ier-do-335.htm

Old 06-23-17, 08:09 AM   #644
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

I saw a dramatic painting of the Pfeil ("Arrow") in the Aeroplane Monthly once... by Keith Woodcock, I think.

Can you believe... I've got the great Charles Thompson giving me some personal tips on an aviation Facebook forum right now. I just sent Charles (I call him Charles, you know) a message asking for some input into that troublesome B-17 job I posted recently.

@ Jim... I thought I'd seen a plastic model but maybe it was this 'Corgi'

Last edited by Eichhörnchen; 06-23-17 at 09:26 AM.
Old 06-23-17, 10:23 AM   #645
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:

@ Jim... I thought I'd seen a plastic model but maybe it was this 'Corgi'
Plenty of plastic examples to be found too but my interest is obviously diecast.