SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-11-17, 10:03 PM   #16
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkerov View Post
OK so last night the same thing happened again. I was in the formosa straits, depth below keel about 700ft. I picked up 2 radar contacts headed my way so I ordered a crash dive. I intended to get to a depth of 250 but at about 100ft on the way down there was a collision sound of some kind. Heavy damage and flooding, everyone in the watch slots = dead.
I managed to emergency surface only to find the two planes I had detected had arrived within visual range. But they did so AFTER the collision. I shot at them, thinking they would now attack but they ignored me. I guarantee there was not enough time between detection and damage for it to be these guys that caused the damage.

So I saved the replay as suggested to check for mines. There was no mine either?!?!?!
I still have no idea what caused the damage. Has anyone got any ideas now? Did I strike an invisible object of some kind?
If you know how, use the Mission Editor and open the Data \ Campaigns \ Campaign \ Jap_Minefields.mis file, and notice the anti-sub nets and minefields on both ends of the Formosa Straits. Do not click on any "OK" buttons or "Accept" buttons. Always "Cancel" out so that you don't accidentally have the Mission Editor bring "stock" info back into the file - but you can right-click on an item, or choose it in the Explorer tab, and select "Properties", and you should be able to see the dates things become "active"... I don't know if the mines and sub nets render in a replay, but I'm thinking that they do...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-17, 12:24 AM   #17
Barkerov
Soundman

Downloads: 42
Uploads: 0

Thanks Propbeanie. I will give this a try.
It makes me wonder though, in game do mines make a BOOM sound or a CRUNCH sound? This to me sounded more like what you get when you hit the sea floor. The replay certainly didn't render whatever it was I hit.

Also I was in the middle of the formosa strait, not at the ends if that matters.
Barkerov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-17, 08:17 AM   #18
propbeanie

Yes, the mines and nets are at either end. I don't think there is anything like that in the middle. If you're at 100 though, and the mine is at 15, you could hear the "chain" rattle as you catch it, then the "boom!" as the mine gets close. One thing we've discovered in FotRSU is that the anti-sub nets do not render correctly, and that you will hear their sound at approximately the 20km distance, though I don't think you take damage from them there... Are you sure you didn't get bombed? If you've got a save with replay, look again from a different angle. The game doesn't always "draw" things the same way twice in the replay files...

Old 07-12-17, 06:54 PM   #19
Barkerov
Soundman

Downloads: 42

100% certain I didn't get bombed. I watched the replay once from the surface and once centered on where I took the damage.

After looking at the maps though, I concluded that I am in fact in the right area for a minefield and I was last time around too (East China Sea just off the coast). These minefields also have their mines set at depths between -35 and -20 which if in meters means between 65ft and 115ft deep. It is the right depth to account for both incidents. Weird that it didn't render though

Anyway by DID rules it looks like I am starting again. S-42 Class, April 22nd 1942 out of Brisbane. Not a minefield even close.

Thanks again propbeanie. Wouldn't have been able to figure it out without your advice
Barkerov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-17, 08:15 PM   #20
propbeanie

You are more than welcome. The minefields during the war were a menace to everyone, not just the warships... The things broke loose all the time, and would float to where ever the currents carried them...

Old 07-13-17, 11:36 AM   #21
A-Ganger
Sparky

Downloads: 13

LOL funny story over here

My first campaign mission in DW yesterday I had saved the game at one point. Apparently, I saved it about 2 seconds before I ran aground and killed myself...lmao

Everytime I would load the saved game, as soon as it started I died and until I zoomed really close I could not even see my sub explode.. Had to start completely over..derr
A-Ganger is offline   Reply With Quote