SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-15-17, 06:21 PM   #1
p.jakub88
Gunner

Downloads: 123
Uploads: 1
Exclamation How to add a new ship sinking sound into OTC 1.5?

Hello everyone,

i would like to add to OTC 1.5 a sound of the sinking ship from the Traveller v2.6 TMO mod. I like the sound very much.

I noticed, that all sounds are managed by a Sh.sdl file found in the Sound folder. I tried to add a new line to this file, to be able to hear the new sinking ship sound in the game.

However, when i sunk a Mogami Cruiser in the Torpedo training mission i hear nothing...

What i did wrong?

Thank You in advance for reply!

Best wishes

Jakub

EDIT: In the Traveller v2.6 TMO mod Sh.sdl file an entry was changed in the "Name" column from Ship.Sink to Ship.Sink_Effect (Scufundare vapor.wav) plus added another line called Particles.Sub_Sinking_Effect with related file called Sub_Sinking.wav.

This setting works in the Traveller v2.6 TMO mod, but not when i changed it manually either in the default SH4 Sh.sdl file or in the OTC 1.5 Sh.sdl file.

Maybe i need only to edit the default SH4 sinking sound to be heard from greater distance? I am confused, since the stock SH4 ship sinking sound and the one from Traveller v2.6 TMO are the same (i played them).

Quote from Traveller v2.6 TMO change list:

"Added ship sinking sound effects to most Japanese ships. This cool feature has been a broken in SH4 since it was first released, never have been working correctly due to a probable hard-coded bug. You would only hear these sounds if you were right next to a sinking ship. Now you will hear these ship death sounds at distance. I'm quite pleased with the results of this workaround fix, as it really adds to the atmoshpere of the game".

I don't want to enable the Traveller v2.6 TMO mod just for the ship sinking sound, i wanted only to implement this into OTC 1.5.

Any help would be appreciated!
p.jakub88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-17, 07:53 AM   #2
p.jakub88
Gunner

Icon14 How to add a new ship sinking sound into OTC 1.5? SOLVED

Hello,

finally i was able to implement a new ship sinking sound from the Traveller v2.6 TMO mod into SH4.

I looked again into Sh.sdl file and noticed few other changes in comparison to the stock file.

I also copied a NCA_Mogami.dsd and NCA_Mogami.dat files from the Traveller v.26 TMO Sea folder.

Now, when i sunk a Mogami Class Cruiser in the Torpedo Training Mission i heard a new distinctive sinking sound while submerged from 900 yards.

I nearly gave up, but then a success came.

So now my job would be to implement sinking sounds to other enemy ships just as did Traveller in his mod.
Old 07-16-17, 10:23 AM   #3
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Nice job p.jakub88, you've just started your new hobby in tweaking/modding your game the way you wish!

Knowing what others have done, looking at the differences, and doing your own testing puts you on the right tract.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-17, 11:02 AM   #4
p.jakub88
Gunner

Icon14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
Nice job p.jakub88, you've just started your new hobby in tweaking/modding your game the way you wish!

Knowing what others have done, looking at the differences, and doing your own testing puts you on the right tract.
Hello,

the credits for that not only comes to me, but also to propbeanie and Bubblehead1980 for their help in pointing out on which files i need to focus.

Fortunately, i could always count on Subsim forum members in terms of receiving help.