SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-29-17, 12:08 PM   #4801
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Did you see any sonar lines when that happened mark bonamer? Radar report, anything? Maybe slight "hiccup" as something was generating a spawn near you? We might still have an errant ship call that's bad in there, in spite of our continual searching...

What day was it (approx), time of day if you have it, location as close as you can get it, and where were you sailing from, and what was your assignment? Any (and more) info you can supply will help us narrow down any possibilities... If nothing else, there will be a court-martial to determine the level of dereliction of duty, and the method of punishment to death, for having allowed your boat to hit a mine... - least, that's ~our~ story
that's pretty funny....the last part i mean.
so, i applied LAA and re-started a patrol from surabaya to zone A4 on Jan 22, 1942. made some kills along the way to A4, patroled for several days before i encountered a freighter...sank same. radioed back to base and they said RTB. so i did. along the way i sank a couple more marus. i got to a point SE of surabaya early on Jan 29 and received the prompt to end patrol, which i selected. bang. CTD. my course approx 310 speed 12 on the surface. cannot remember if there was a surface contact....maybe one but long range. things happen suddenly and it is difficult to keep constant awareness of ALL game conditions.
let me know if you think of something.
thanks.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-17, 01:12 PM   #4802
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

That's only a small glimpse of what's happening beneath the surface with FOTRSU. We will have an interm release, v0.62 tonight, which will modify some aspects that have been negatively impacting gameplay.

But the bad news is from CapnScurvy "There are unseen, unmodable factors within the hard coded files that permit (or not) a specific Ship Class/Type to do things. Without a blueprint of what the game allows, we are pretty much like a blind man feeling a cow for the first time. In his mind he in-visions what a cow looks like, but it can be wildly off when he tries to describe it...."

After explaining that there are hardcoded, undocumented restrictions that we can't do anything about and don't even know about, he says "There's no way I'm ready to push this business out for release. Lots of painstaking testing will have to be done to figure out what are the specific "limits" within each Unit Class/Type."

That is why flags are far from our thoughts right now. Big progress is being made. That progress is very, very slow because of the weirdness baked into the game engine by the game devs.

Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate v0.62 PublicBeta EN will be out tonight for all in the Subsim download area!
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-17, 01:42 PM   #4803
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0313 View Post
Okay gent's I have a few things to let you know about. I am running a Balao from Brisbane in January 1944. I have the SJ Radar on its highest power setting. Wind is 0 knots.

1. When in free cam the radar isn't turning. It's turning on the scope but not showing it on the free cam.

2. My watch spotted a medium modern split freighter at 8250 yards. Never showed up on radar. Bearing was 280 when spotted.

3. I know this has been discussed before but the recharge times are way to long.

4. Are you going to add new campaign start bases that follow the allied advance. Look at Travellers mods, He added forward bases like Guam in late 1944.
J0313, it would be helpful if you told us which version of Fotrs Ultimate are you using?

I decided to make a Single Mission test mission with a Balao, March 1944 to see what's up. I'm using the soon to be released v0.62 Beta of FOTRS Ultimate....here's my image of the Balao surfaced:

The two Radars function normally, no issue with them?!? Don't forget to Turn them "on" when you want them to function. That's toggling the "T" key for SD, the "T+Ctrl" for the SJ; or use one of the Task Bar Buttons along the bottom after going to the "Radar" section. The SJ can still be turned on/off with the toggle switch on the Radar unit.

When looking for suspected targets on Radar, watch the PPI screen for a couple of revolutions. There's an expected probability of about 95% to show a contact on every sweep....meaning some sweeps won't show all targets. Using the "Options" menu, you may wish to check your setting for "Realistic Sensors" is not checked.

We can look at the Battery recharge times and try to shorten them.

As far as the Campaign layers, we're constantly reworking them.

=================

With another 5 hours of work today, I've found a way to have the AuxSubchaser be heard with the passive Hydrophones. Your Sonarman will still report his findings (he uses active Sonar to make contact reports), and you, the player, will "hear" the unit too. This finding comes from finally reading "beyond" the files, and seeing what results come from tweaks actually made. It's unfortunate, there's no one actual file to manipulate to change this in-game behavior. You have to realize that the game does what it does, and you make other changes accordingly to suit the game.

This is how I was able to get a Corvette unit type to be heard with the hydrophone. I found there is a "limit" to what the hard coded files dictate for a specific unit "Type", and by keeping within this "limit" you allow the unit to be heard with passive hydrophone use. The only issue is you only know these "limits" by trial and error....there's no mod-able files to read/tweak to make things work. You go into testing blindly and come away with a sense of what the game allows, doesn't allow....you then make changes to files you CAN mod, to suit those findings.

This capability will not be in the next release...v0.62 (which should be anytime now). Too much other testing to change units to suit these revelations....but we should be able to correct this long standing stock game issue of having ships unheard with manual hydrophone use.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-17, 01:52 PM   #4804
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
This capability will not be in the next release...v0.62 (which should be anytime now). Too much other testing to change units to suit these revelations....but we should be able to correct this long standing stock game issue of having ships unheard with manual hydrophone use.
Isn't it amazing that the game was out there with these problems for ten years and the problems were never mentioned! We try to do new things with FOTRSU and suddenly these ten year old problems rear their ugly heads!

Hey, we didn't sign on for this stuff!
Old 06-29-17, 03:46 PM   #4805
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1106
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Wow. Talk about finding a "detail". Excellent! is that one of the AA guns?

I wonder about the "Corvette Subchaser Class" above and if there's any sound controllers in the DAT for it?... CapnScurvy, can the ship be heard if you zoom the external camera over to it? Seems to me that it made "noise" in the Museum, but I can'r remember exactly. Is this the clone of another? or the original??... (propbeanie leaves room to other computer)
Yes it was, I found it during my research of nodes, and links etc.
Old 06-29-17, 06:25 PM   #4806
J0313
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1783
Uploads: 0

Sorry Capn, I am currently on v.60 with the kongo fix. I saved and reloaded and the radar was turning like it was suppose to. I didn't know about the 95 % thing. Thanks for the heads-up.
J0313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-17, 07:00 PM   #4807
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark bonamer View Post
that's pretty funny....the last part i mean.
so, i applied LAA and re-started a patrol from surabaya to zone A4 on Jan 22, 1942. made some kills along the way to A4, patroled for several days before i encountered a freighter...sank same. radioed back to base and they said RTB. so i did. along the way i sank a couple more marus. i got to a point SE of surabaya early on Jan 29 and received the prompt to end patrol, which i selected. bang. CTD. my course approx 310 speed 12 on the surface. cannot remember if there was a surface contact....maybe one but long range. things happen suddenly and it is difficult to keep constant awareness of ALL game conditions.
let me know if you think of something.
thanks.
That funny part? I learned that at work. ~Never~ admit culpability. ~Always~ blame someone else. "I had no prior knowledge. I didn't do it. I wasn't there when it happened"... - that kind of thang...

As for the CTD you describe, it hit as soon as you hit the "End Patrol" button? Coming into base, it almost would have to be an Ally vessel, if it's that, and we hadn't had any previously... Which boat did you have? I'd hate to think it's something to do with the CareerStart and / or Flotilla file... they are a bear to trouble-shoot...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 06-29-17 at 07:12 PM.
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-17, 07:10 PM   #4808
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
That's only a small glimpse of what's happening beneath the surface with FOTRSU...

... from CapnScurvy "There are unseen, unmodable factors within the hard coded files that permit (or not) a specific Ship Class/Type to do things. Without a blueprint of what the game allows, we are pretty much like a blind man feeling a cow for the first time. In his mind he in-visions what a cow looks like, but it can be wildly off when he tries to describe it...."
Just so long as we're not at the tail end, in the swing range of a hoof... "Wowser! what's this shtinkie thang?"

Once again folks, when you get the new v0.62, be sure and empty the Save folder in My Documents. You'll have to re-set your preferences for screen resolution and game play, but we definitely want a "clean" save folder with the new changes again... Parts will be compatible, but some won't...

Old 06-29-17, 07:23 PM   #4809
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Announcing
Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate v0.62 PublicBeta EN

Yay! We fixed some more bugs! The big story is that we keep unearthing 10 year old programming errors by our illustrious dev crew without a clue, who accidentally, it seems, produced the best diesel-electric submarine simulator on the planet.

We're spending a lot of time repeating "best diesel-electric submarine simulator on the planet" over and over as we curse at the gross stupidity we find. Thank God for CapnScurvy. Some of this is way over my head, but I'm bright enough to know it's bad.

Making progress and if it doesn't look like we're really active here in the thread, believe me we're plenty active in our Workshop of Doom and Pepsi Cola.

Of course, crew, it's up on Area 51 as well.

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 06-29-17 at 07:33 PM.
Old 06-30-17, 06:00 AM   #4810
Front Runner
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 215
Uploads: 0
Default What a TEAM !!

Just want to say what an incredible job that the FOTRSU team is doing. I'm a novice at modding and from the little I've done I see what an intricate and time consuming job it is to locate and find the bugs without creating others.

SH4 is the best diesel sub sim on the planet and FOTRSU is making it even better.

Did I read somewhere that Onkel Neal has someone looking at the original SH4.exe files which may lead to the possibility of crushing some of the DEV Bugs?

Gone but not forgotten, RIP Dave "LeoVampire".
Front Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-17, 06:47 AM   #4811
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Front Runner View Post
Did I read somewhere that Onkel Neal has someone looking at the original SH4.exe files which may lead to the possibility of crushing some of the DEV Bugs?
No, nobody EVER said such a thing........OUCH!

Okay, Photobucket just eliminated itself from the universe by shutting off third party hosting without ransom paid. From service to ransomware--what an ingenious idea. I'll be moving all my stuff from Photobucket to Google tonight. So should you.
Old 06-30-17, 09:23 AM   #4812
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

I'm apparently in the same boat with PhotoBucket!!

I have a PM from "THEBERBSTER" this morning that asked me to do something about this same issue....my pictures for the "[TEC] Windows10; Large Address Aware; SH4 Install" have all vanished with the same image as you see above!!

I've never pushed my images for third party use, however apparently someone else has (maybe pushing my tutorial along as a third party?!?) and poof my pictures are being held for ransom too!!

I notice so far, these genius folks haven't yet caught up with my signature or other images in this thread, as they have with the Windows 10 Tutorial!? But, I bet they'll screw them over too.

Double R you say you're moving your images over to Google?

==================

Oop's I spoke too soon, just an hour later and my signature image is gone! I see my 'ol "Popeye" image is still up...for now!

Just wanted to look at what the "ransom" from Photobucket was........$399.00 for a year's subscription! Sounds reasonable doesn't it!?!

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"

Last edited by CapnScurvy; 06-30-17 at 10:27 AM.
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-17, 10:36 AM   #4813
propbeanie

Oh my!... I just left them, but left my stuff up there... wow! When you say "Third party", I think of a corporation using them to display an online catalog, or something along that line... not a little user displaying links to the pix... $400 for a new computer ain't bad, but for a Photobucket license, it's basically theft... their site hasn't worked correctly in years anyway!

How does one go about finding all of their posts to be able to begin to tell what needs replacing?... I wonder if any other hosting sites will follow suit?...

A cursory glance through the early parts of this thread, and it appears that the photos that "link" somewhere are the ones that are "missing". If you've got a plain link to a photo on their site, no issue (yet), but if you use the photo as a hyperlink elsewhere, that's where it "bombs"... maybe...

Last edited by propbeanie; 06-30-17 at 10:47 AM.
Old 06-30-17, 03:24 PM   #4814
jldjs
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Passive sonar and no signal

I installed Beta 62 and as I usually do, I go to Submarine school, torpedo exercise, and shoot the warship. As with Beta 60, beta 62 it does not keep the lock (L key) on the ship with Porpoise at periscope depth with ship seen. Cap'n explained that this would happen if the target is visual. Ok, but with Beta 56 (and TMO, et al) the target remains locked under the same situation.
Is this because the ship is not "heard" by passive hydrophone? It is doing 9 knots!
I'm confused if "this" is a stock problem, then why does it seem to be ok with Beta 56 (TMO)?
Old 06-30-17, 11:18 PM   #4815
propbeanie

Check the depth of the boat at periscope depth and the range to the target. It might be that you're just a pinch below a good PD and losing lock from wave?...