Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 01-06-10, 08:10 PM   #16
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

You have to tune the priority of combat zones, too. In the begining set all enemy territory to zero, and your own bordert territories to maximum. Have only aircraft sliders maxed, everything else on zero.

some hours later include the sectors where the front is, and include SAMs so that bthese could be targetted inside these sectors.

Next step is when these sectors are SAM-free - then you are deeper in the enemy'y territory, you still have Migs on priprity, and SAMs quite high, but you add the next chain of sectors to the active combat operaiton zones, and start to have airports included.

The trick is to prioritize the combat zones cleverly. what costs you many planes is deep strikes at the early stage of the war, when they still have to pass through plenty of Mig- and SAM-infested airspace.

I usually coordinate airport strikes with staritng to hit aircraft production. Until then, I first focus on defence: killing as many migs as I can, in the air, and second: preparation of the later offensive: taking out the SAMs. Not before Migs are taken out (especially the odern models) and all SAM batteries outside the airports have been deleted, I make all enemy country a hunting ground and start go for industry and airports.

the first day therefore is almost cp0mpletely dogfighting for all my units. After air superiroity has been totally established, it is almost completely mud moving only.

To ground battles you have to react depedniong on the situation. Take out artillery first, especially if it is in range to friendly units. They do the most damage, helicopter gunships also can be devastating. Next dangerous is armoured units.

Take note that there are two kinds of engineer units. Their presence close to a place can increase the repair of airfields and bridges.

In the Korean campaign I only destroy the bridges close to and directly north of Seoul, else the city get overun too easily. On the Balkans, I never bomb bridges. It hinders my own advance only, and there is no prressure by the enemy that forces me to do so in order to prevent a threatening ground developement.

In the early stage, focus on attacking ground units only if they are about to enter combat range to your own ground units. Do not let your ground units attack, the losses are needless. Pave them a way by air attacks, and let them just seize and hold ground. Destroying enemy units on the ground is the airforce's job, at least in this sim.

P.S. Move the sliders in quarters of the scale, to see some noticable difference between the settings. If you make finer tunings, chances are you won't note the effect. Don't be shy to give 0% and 100%. Combat zones where you want something getting achieved you should hit not with divided resources, but with everything you have. I use many sliders for switching between maximums and minimums. And CAPs I almost always locate manually where I want them. Line them up, regarding their timing, so that the relief force is already approaching a critical area when the current patrol is getting out. Else your airports can be hit, and when you have to live without AWACS for the coming 8 hours, it is a completely new ballgame.
Old 01-06-10, 08:13 PM   #17
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
I still break out in a cold sweat sometimes thinking of the noise the RWR makes when a MiG-29 shows up.
You never have done a tank battle in SBP, with you lacking situational awareness but starting to take hits... In some aspects, F4 is better and more immersive, in others, SBP takes the lead. Both can become incredibly tensed and exciting, and both can give you real big battles with dozens of participants in one place.
Old 01-11-10, 06:24 PM   #18
XabbaRus
Navy Seal

Downloads: 5

Installed and patched and crashed.

Looks like I will have to wait to the weekend to fully learn how to even get off the ground.

This is soooo cool.

GFX might not be that great but still it is smooth as anything...That counts more to me than a plane detailed down to the last rivet.
Old 01-12-10, 06:32 AM   #19
Skybird
Soaring

There is a video, I think at their homepage, showing you through the full engine ignition process. Nothing better to launch a mission from a D&C cockpit.

Expect frames to suffer in campaign a bit, not so much in the Balkans, but Korea on first day, over the FLOT at Seoul. It gets better once you have eaten up his first massive blow.
Old 01-21-11, 04:54 AM   #20
JamesT73J
Medic

Been playing again recently - it's still the best, much as I love the feel of the DCS / Lomac games. Nothing beats the huge scale of immersion one feels in Falcon.

I'd say in terms of difficulty, F4AF is 'perfect'. You can fly it like LOMAC if you want to, i.e. if you wish to take off with engines started, you can do so - all you need to learn is weapons delivery & sensor management which really is quite intuitive once you understand the commonality among all the MFD pages. The Viper as depicted in F4AF has an excellent human interface.

Likewise, surviveability takes a lot of practice. The training mission 'missile avoidance' is very good; it places a variety of threats in just the right quantity to keep you busy, without being overwhelming, and it's a mission I return to regularly if I get a bit rusty.

Missile and AAA performance in F4 (any version) has always been a little more fallible than the DCS products, for my money - since the days of Flanker 1.5 threat radar has always been difficult to spoof, and ZSU's & SAMS are extremely hard work; generally if they can lock-and-launch, there's a good chance you'll perish. I always felt weapons in those games perform 'ideally', i.e. extremely well. In F4, sound avoidance technique (beaming the launch platform, tallying the smoke trails - EXCELLENTLY modelled, by the way - and trying to increase the bearing rate does work very well, apart from against the latest threats, which is as it should be.

Falcon 4, (like Falcon 3) has some superb situational awareness tools - don't be afraid to use them. These were designed to overcome the limitations of working with a 2D monitor, and they are really well thought-out; enhanced padlock is a great aid (I have track IR but don't especially get along with it, though I do use that for the DCS titles as I never like the view system) and pressing shift-F3 will open up a useful situational-awareness tool. There is a lot going-on in the F4 world and until you get used to it, don't hesitate to use these things to help develop 'a picture' of what the F4 world looks like.

Little touches set F4 apart for me. I love how the AI will be unpredictable. It will run away, it will sometimes engage very aggressively (who hasn't been caught out by MiG-21's intercepting high-speed at very short range from a GAI scramble? Exactly as they are designed to do!) and sometimes it will not even notice you're there - just like real people.
"My advice - buy the damn game and play the arse off it. It's not all there yet but it's still a damn good game, and we all know it'll be even better once the community is done crawling all over it." User 'Sideways' 08th March 2010.
JamesT73J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-11, 11:58 AM   #21
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

Funny, I dusted it off just last night and feel much the same!
Hopefully I can play through a campaign or two in the next while. Nothing sums up F4 better than "There's a war going on. Someone put you in an F-16." The game world is very 'alive' and it's hard not to get sucked in when you learn to appreciate what that F-16 can do.

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote