SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-08-17, 10:42 PM   #1441
AirHippo
Sailor man

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 0

I've found this myself - the Kilo has a pretty ropey sonar suite, and relies mainly on staying undetected to get a shot off at all.

When you were using your AShMs, you may be encountering the problem of sonar inaccuracy again. I can't speak for the Kilo TMA update rate, but it should be pretty quick (1-2 minute intervals); check the Age parameter on the summary (on the map/3D view screen) to make sure you're still getting regular updates to the fire-control system.

Anyway, as you've probably noticed, your AShM's seeker head can have two modes: Wide and Narrow search. Generally speaking, with a Kilo, I'd go for wide - the sensors are sufficiently poor that a narrow search will miss. That's one thing to make sure of.

I've also noted that, in a similar scenario to the one you tried, I managed 4/5 hits; the ship that I missed I missed twice, but it was also very close - about 6,500m. It may be that the missile seeker has a minimum arming range - the "Seeker Range" parameter on the fire-control board, which has a minimum value of 5nmi. In that case, no matter how good your sensor data, your missile will be unable to attack a target because it hasn't yet armed its seeker.
AirHippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-17, 08:18 AM   #1442
KilooliK
Watch

Downloads: 2

I find the Kilo sonar, as simple, and easy to navigate. It doesnt look like a space station panel. As mentioned earlier, the Kilo sonar picked up the 5 contacts pretty much instantly (every time) at the start of the mission. While the Akula lll took a bit of time to pick them all up. So in conclusion, I think the sphere/hull sonar in the Kilo is actually better than the Akula lll. Now of course the TA on the Akula, give it an obvious edge against other subs. I dont expect the Kilo to find a modern (Virginia/Akula/Kilo) sub out past 4-5nm reliably if the sub is on the hunt. If it all. But, it will pick them up if youre close (3-5nm) enough. Conditions vary. Speed/Depth/Current etc etc. I dont feel the Kilo is the best choice of sub, to go head to head with against a Virginia. Since the Kilo lacks a TA. But, it does have the stealth advantage. 90% of the time, an enemy sub doesnt engage me first. It is only after I fire my torpedos first, that he learns of my location and fires one back down my bearing. So in short, I get first shot. If I can find him.

But yes, the ASM have a minimum range, which is 5nm. The seeker wont home on anything under 5nm by default. But it seems in RA, that may be 8nm+ seeker minimum? Because shooting at boats at 5-7nm with Club SSM missiles is a no go in RA.

Ill check tma on 3D map. Might be some of my issues regarding contacts hoping around .

Last edited by KilooliK; 01-09-17 at 09:18 AM.
KilooliK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-17, 03:02 PM   #1443
AirHippo
Sailor man

Horses for courzses, as they say; I'm an Akula fan, although I find Gepard's waterfall displays very weird. One thing I like about the annular style of display is that it's great for instantaneous situational awareness, something the waterfall doesn't lend itself to so easily.

Anyway, regarding the mod, I love the new Alpha command station! Everything else... well, it's the usual high standard of work from the RA team. Well done all!
Old 01-12-17, 03:25 AM   #1444
AirHippo
Sailor man

Default Bugses

Couple of small bugs I've found:

The Victor-III seems to have a surplus tube that can't be edited or loaded:

And the Narrowband display's contact lines are sometimes so dim as to be invisible (this has occurred with the Victor-III and Akula so far).

Old 01-12-17, 08:46 AM   #1445
KilooliK
Watch

Downloads: 2

Kilo Alrosa and Improved has the same issue (at times) regarding narrowband contacts. Dots/lines barely visible.

I wish the Kilo had a TA. That would be the perfect sub. Its already my #1. The lack of the Victor not having anti ship missiles keeps me using the Kilo. I think ship missiles are a must on a sub. But, I see the Kilo as basically an anti ship sub.

Last edited by KilooliK; 01-12-17 at 09:00 AM.
KilooliK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-17, 11:56 AM   #1446
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KilooliK View Post
Kilo Alrosa and Improved has the same issue (at times) regarding narrowband contacts. Dots/lines barely visible.

I wish the Kilo had a TA. That would be the perfect sub. Its already my #1. The lack of the Victor not having anti ship missiles keeps me using the Kilo. I think ship missiles are a must on a sub. But, I see the Kilo as basically an anti ship sub.
Be sure to check out the Lada if you want a towed

If you want to report bugs, you should submit them directly to the RA forums at redrodgers.com

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-17, 06:02 PM   #1447
Stewy1
Girt by Sea

Downloads: 131
Uploads: 34

Hi guys,

I'm running 1.39 and am reticent to go to 1.41 because I've spent a long time getting my database just right (added ALL LA boats, Sturgeons and Virginias, painted some subs and ships, and adjusted the Sonar Source Levels on all of the Russian, Chinese, and Western subs, etc.)

Could you tell me, are you happy with 1.41? What are the best things in your opinion? What are some of the new objects that are cool?

Could you please post a screenshot of the Shang Class, Yasen and new counter-measures models? (and anything else which you think is cool - I'd love to take a look at them!)

Cheers fellas
Stew
Stewy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-17, 09:36 AM   #1448
MR. Wood
Planesman

Downloads: 170
Uploads: 5

Photo for photos lol will take some in a bit and upload them so you can see. 1.41 any chance we can see some of the paint jobs you did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewy1 View Post
Hi guys,

I'm running 1.39 and am reticent to go to 1.41 because I've spent a long time getting my database just right (added ALL LA boats, Sturgeons and Virginias, painted some subs and ships, and adjusted the Sonar Source Levels on all of the Russian, Chinese, and Western subs, etc.)

Could you tell me, are you happy with 1.41? What are the best things in your opinion? What are some of the new objects that are cool?

Could you please post a screenshot of the Shang Class, Yasen and new counter-measures models? (and anything else which you think is cool - I'd love to take a look at them!)

Cheers fellas
Stew
MR. Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-17, 04:43 PM   #1449
Stewy1
Girt by Sea

Will do - I'll get onto that tonight - but they're nothing special, eg. I made the Seawolf black instead of the 'blue' colour is was - and removed the sail number...little things like that...
Old 01-15-17, 09:26 PM   #1450
MR. Wood
Planesman

It wont let me upload the screen shots they are too big shoot me an email with your subsim name in subject and I will send them to you
Old 01-16-17, 01:13 PM   #1451
Yobakz
Nub

Downloads: 67
Default Font Size

I have recently updated to 1.41 and noticed that the font sizes for both the info area and the map contacts has been decreased.

Is there a way to reverse this? I am having trouble reading time to time (dont have the perfect eyesight)
Yobakz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-17, 02:33 PM   #1452
MR. Wood
Planesman

Go into settings in the game select 3d and top right box lower the resolution that will increase the font size I just tested it out to be sure
Old 01-16-17, 02:57 PM   #1453
MR. Wood
Planesman

Exclamation Requested photos warning BIG

Here are the new ssn and the new surface ship and passive cm and active cm along with towed decoy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dump01966886.jpg (78.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg dump01813248.jpg (77.2 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg dump01949102.jpg (80.2 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg dump01963062.jpg (78.4 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg dump01958422.jpg (79.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg dump01910903.jpg (61.1 KB, 12 views)
Old 01-17-17, 02:21 AM   #1454
Stewy1
Girt by Sea

Sorry to side-track the thread - For Mr Wood - here's my repainted Seawolf - made darker and with the sail-number removed...

I also added a rough tile texture to the Trafalgar - but it doesn't show up well in a screenshot...

Thanks for those pics Mr Wood - while they look great, it's probably not worth starting again with all my painting and database tweaks

Last edited by Stewy1; 01-17-17 at 02:41 AM.
Old 01-17-17, 09:34 AM   #1455
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 1

Stewy1: There is a way for you to keep your RA 1.39 and install RA 1.41 and play them separately using JSGME.

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
reinforce alert