SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-30-18, 11:47 PM   #1
Ichthyos
Seaman

Downloads: 4
Uploads: 0
Default command buffer overflow

I've seen this happen a couple of times now:

you give a command, realize you want to do something different, send an opposing command, and say a command to turn hard port.

....and the computer gets stuck in a loop of ever repeating those same commands endlessly.

is there a way to slap it to stop it from repeating the same commands over and over again?

if you try and just repeat one command, it doesn't help.

it's like there is some kind of buffer overflow and the AI cannot figure out what to do except the same thing... endlessly.

gotta be others who have run into this?
Ichthyos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-18, 11:54 PM   #2
Ichthyos
Seaman

seemed logical a save and reload would clear the buffer.

it does.

thought it would crash, but no... sh4 seems a tad more stable than sh3.
Old 01-31-18, 09:38 AM   #3
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

What mod(s) are you using when you get that "repeat"? This is what used to happen in FotRSU:

The old "Crash Dive" wave file was too long, and it would "stick" in the buffer and the game would keep playing the last micro second of the sound file, which you can hear that "end" of the file at about 1:15 as a "bell clang", and the "stuck" portion at about 1:35 (the "bell clang"). Nothing got rid of "The Sound", other than exiting the game and coming back in. Certain of the game's sound files cannot be over approximately 18 seconds, and Time Compression is a "trigger", but not the lone cause of the issue. Can you isolate the phrase that gets "stuck"?

All that said, I've accidentally hit the "S" key for "Surface", when I meant to hit the "W" key to cycle the tubes, and I would then panic and hit the "P" key for "periscope depth" multiple times or maybe press and hold the key, and would get maybe a half-dozen repeats of "Periscope depth, yes sir!", but it would stop the repeats after just a few seconds, so the keyboard buffer can hold stuff for a bit... just not to the point that you have to save and exit to get it to reset.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-18, 06:31 PM   #4
Ichthyos
Seaman

I'm not using any of the major mods. just GFO and the env pack with lite fog and clear water, and some texture and the pacific sound mod.

otoh...

could be that pacific sound mod somehow has the wrong timings on some sounds?

*shrug*

in any case, the real problem is not that the SOUNDS repeat... but that it gets locked in a command loop where it will not accept any commands period.

I got locked going flank speed straight ahead into the middle of a protected convoy, with my deck gun cycling between "fire at will" and "fire at close range" which meant it did nothing... and I could do nothing but frantically push buttons to no effect.

that was almost a complete disaster. almost.