SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-15-19, 08:58 PM   #1
Slyguy3129
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Hydrophones do not work in TMO at all

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[C:\UbiSoft\Silent Hunter 4\MODS]

1_TriggerMaru_Overhaul_2-5
1_TMO_25_small_patch
RSRDC_TMO_V502
RSRDC_V5xx_Patch1
1.5_Optical Targeting Correction 031312 for RSRDCv502
Traveller Mod v2.6 TMO
Traveller Mod 2.6 OTC 1.5 Patch
Pacific Sound Mod
DBSM Close Depth Charge
BBC World
Captain Midnights MORE CBS NEWS! MOD v1.2
KGBM Radio
KGMB Add On
Webster's Real Lifeboats Fix for v1.5
Webster's Ship Manuvering Fix
SonarTargetFix2_TMO

This is my load out. This originally started when I noticed in OM that I couldn't hear any sound contacts myself. The AI can, but there is no sound for me.

I uninstalled OM, and tried TMO, as I knew it worked back a long time ago when the dude that made the mod, still hung out around here. Sadly, the same exact problem happens. No hydro.

I have taken each and every mod in this list out, and then placed it back in one at a time, in a single mission (Tokyo Express) to test what the problem is. I did this in OM's [REL] thread in the ATO forums. Here: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...34922&page=248 just to nip any "have you tried uninstalling mods" responses. I have reinstalled the game a number of times, so don't suggest that. I've changed where I installed the game at from Program(x86) to just a normal folder in C:, so don't suggest that. You can read the results there. In short, I made the hydro work for the Single Mission, but now that I'm in Career mode, it doesn't.

EDIT: I'm Running Silent Hunter 4 1.5 With UBoatMissions installed.

Last edited by Slyguy3129; 04-15-19 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Nipping more "did you turn it off, then on" questions in the bud.
Old 04-16-19, 05:10 AM   #2
mikesn9
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 68
Uploads: 0

Did you go back to a "pristine" SH4? Or just uninstall mods?

From all I have read, to change mod setup, the best way is to start fresh.

I spent the cold war under water.
mikesn9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-19, 09:14 AM   #3
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

The lack of sound when using the Hydrophone yourself is a Stock game issue. Your Sonar man will hear everything, alert you of detected targets, but when you go to the Hydrophone station to check yourself...….you're deaf as a post!

Not all ships though, some will be heard, but most won't.

The trouble becomes really bad when a modded game has changed the ship units speed in their waypoints (as both TMO and RSRDC have done). The Stock game rarely has ship units traveling below 9 kts in their mission files. TMO and RSRDC have them changing speeds all the time......some to 1 or 2 knots speed just to "mix it up". When this happens the preset Engine parameters for each ship won't let the engines sound to be heard at these lower slow speeds. Poof, no Hydrophone sound for you.

Fotrs Ultimate has fixed the problem. It's the only "actively modded" game modification that's still being worked on...…...correcting things like Hydrophone deafness; missing AA/Deck Gun upgrades; working Radar; plus adds things like the largest modeled inventory (planes/ships) of ANY mod for SH4; Enemy/Allied AI controlled subs; Capital warships having seaplane patrol craft; AI fired torpedoes. Little stuff, big stuff. Yes, it's a "shameless plug" for the Ultimate mod, but it's the truth!

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"

Last edited by CapnScurvy; 04-17-19 at 10:12 AM.
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-19, 01:02 PM   #4
Slyguy3129
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesn9 View Post
Did you go back to a "pristine" SH4? Or just uninstall mods?

From all I have read, to change mod setup, the best way is to start fresh.
I did. I not only took a snapshot of the files before modding in GMe, but also made a copy of the installation folder for good measure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
The lack of sound when using the Hydrophone yourself is a Stock game issue. Your Sonar man will hear everything, alert you of detected targets, but when you go to the Hydrophone station to check yourself...….you're deaf as a post!

Not all ships though, some will be heard, but most won't.

The trouble becomes really bad when a modded game has changed the ship units speed in their waypoints (as both TMO and RSRDC have done). The Stock game rarely has ship units traveling below 9 kts in their mission files. TMO and RSRDC have them changing speeds all the time......some to 1 or 2 knots speed just to "mix it up". When this happens the preset Engine parameters for each ship won't let the engines sound to be heard at these lower slow speeds. Poof, no Hydrophone sound for you.

Fotrs Ultimate has fixed the problem. It's the only "actively modded" game modification that's still being worked on...…...correcting things like Hydrophone deafness; missing AA/Deck Gun upgrades; working Radar; plus adds things like the largest modeled inventory (planes/ships) of ANY mod for SH4; Enemy/Allied AI controlled subs; Capital warships having seaplane patrol craft; AI fired torpedoes. Little stuff, big stuff. Yes, it's a "shameless plug" for the Ultimate mod, but it's the truth!
Yes, I am aware of all that. I understood the STF2 mod was specifically designed to fix that.

No thank you. I'm not a fan of FotRS. Too many Jerry rigged "features" that are too arbitrary for the base game. That and the language barrier keeps me very far away. I'm sure it's a great mod, I just don't have any interest in it.

If I can't fix TMO, or OM, then just let me know. I'll make SH4 a permanent dust collector. Thank you for the suggestion though!
Old 04-16-19, 08:26 PM   #5
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyguy3129 View Post
I did. I not only took a snapshot of the files before modding in GMe, but also made a copy of the installation folder for good measure.

Yes, I am aware of all that. I understood the STF2 mod was specifically designed to fix that.

No thank you. I'm not a fan of FotRS. Too many Jerry rigged "features" that are too arbitrary for the base game. That and the language barrier keeps me very far away. I'm sure it's a great mod, I just don't have any interest in it.

If I can't fix TMO, or OM, then just let me know. I'll make SH4 a permanent dust collector. Thank you for the suggestion though!
I suggest you use the disk as a coaster for your drink, and leave it at that.

Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
Old 04-17-19, 12:07 AM   #6
Slyguy3129
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
I suggest you use the disk as a coaster for your drink, and leave it at that.
Fair enough. Sorry, don't want AI subs that shoot underwater lasers, or however you guys got them to do whatever. I'm looking for the best realism SH4 can give, without abstract Jerry rigged mechanics to pull it off. Not only that, but I don't know, or understand the goal of the mod. I've seen you guys want to call it GWX for SH4, which, ahem, seems a bit boastful. And if that is the intent, you guys still have many, many years worth of time and effort to match them.

I don't understand why if you guys have "fixed" the sound issue, why you won't release just that portion for those of us who want to play TMO and OM.

But anyways, I guess what I'm trying to say is I didn't really appreciate asking a question about one mod, and you instead suggesting a mod you work on as the only working solution.

But I'm really bad at understanding someone's intent online. Guess I'll just leave it at that.
Old 04-17-19, 10:16 AM   #7
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyguy3129 View Post
Fair enough. Sorry, don't want AI subs that shoot underwater lasers, or however you guys got them to do whatever. I'm looking for the best realism SH4 can give, without abstract Jerry rigged mechanics to pull it off. Not only that, but I don't know, or understand the goal of the mod. I've seen you guys want to call it GWX for SH4, which, ahem, seems a bit boastful. And if that is the intent, you guys still have many, many years worth of time and effort to match them.

I don't understand why if you guys have "fixed" the sound issue, why you won't release just that portion for those of us who want to play TMO and OM.

But anyways, I guess what I'm trying to say is I didn't really appreciate asking a question about one mod, and you instead suggesting a mod you work on as the only working solution.

But I'm really bad at understanding someone's intent online. Guess I'll just leave it at that.
I've never once thought of Ultimate as the GWX for SH4, nor has anyone on the team (which by the way is only a few of us, three actually turning the "wrenches"). I've quit playing the Nazi side of the game (SHIII) years ago. I don't even know what it does?? And have no plans to look.

As far as getting the Hydrophone to work on other folks mods, I'll not be doing it. It was tough enough to get it to work with the mod files we had to work with.....the original Fotrs files. I'm not looking to "fix" someone else's mod, any more than diapering someone else's baby......it's bad enough having to do it on your own baby!

My "intent" was to steer you to a mod that does what you asked for. If that isn't a suitable answer and you still feel as you stated...…. "If I can't fix TMO, or OM, then just let me know. I'll make SH4 a permanent dust collector." then that's what you should do.

Quote:
Old 04-17-19, 10:53 AM   #8
Slyguy3129
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
I've never once thought of Ultimate as the GWX for SH4, nor has anyone on the team (which by the way is only a few of us, three actually turning the "wrenches"). I've quit playing the Nazi side of the game (SHIII) years ago. I don't even know what it does?? And have no plans to look.

As far as getting the Hydrophone to work on other folks mods, I'll not be doing it. It was tough enough to get it to work with the mod files we had to work with.....the original Fotrs files. I'm not looking to "fix" someone else's mod, any more than diapering someone else's baby......it's bad enough having to do it on your own baby!

My "intent" was to steer you to a mod that does what you asked for. If that isn't a suitable answer and you still feel as you stated...…. "If I can't fix TMO, or OM, then just let me know. I'll make SH4 a permanent dust collector." then that's what you should do.

Ah, that's what I was afraid of! RIP old days of Silent Hunter modding. When people modded the game to make it better for everyone.

I know, I know, I should mod right? No. Why would I waste my time solving what you already have? And if I did, why would I release it?!

But thanks for being clear. Yea, I'm definitely not going to bother with your mod now! I'm assuming you can find the door that brought you here? Good!