SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-27-15, 03:22 PM   #1
Egan
Admiral

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 0
Default Pillars Of Eternity

Obsidian's new isometric 'old school' RPG. Just finished installing it. For some reason it kind of passed me by until recently. Anyone played it yet?

It's had some stupidly good reviews. The PC Gamer one claimed it's one of the best PC RPGs ever. And that, is a BIG claim to make.

Still, can't knock it's heritage. Lots of real talent involved. My only dilemma is whether I play it tonight or wait until tomorrow when I've finished work. Hmmm.
Egan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-15, 05:39 PM   #2
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 8

I see my weekend go by stupidly fast
Old 03-27-15, 06:26 PM   #3
Egan
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterICX View Post
I see my weekend go by stupidly fast
Lol, yeah. I just pulled 2 hours without even thinking about it. until I got one-shotted by a bear.

I tell you, if I try to wonder off the screen without my homies in tow and a voice tells me to 'gather your party before venturing forth' I will cry tears of happiness.

I'll sit and read the manual and the almanac tonight. I'll probably start again tomorrow with a totally different character. Those God born look like some weird aasimer sort. I fancy a bit of that.
Old 03-27-15, 07:19 PM   #4
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egan View Post
Lol, yeah. I just pulled 2 hours without even thinking about it. until I got one-shotted by a bear.
It was due the fact I had to grab another bottle then I noticed the time and well......also came to realise I'd have to work tomorrow morning

Quote:
I tell you, if I try to wonder off the screen without my homies in tow and a voice tells me to 'gather your party before venturing forth' I will cry tears of happiness.
With some of the colourful texts I've red so far I'm already crying with tears of joy....or that's my hay fever kicking up again

Quote:
I'll sit and read the manual and the almanac tonight. I'll probably start again tomorrow with a totally different character. Those God born look like some weird aasimer sort. I fancy a bit of that.
Very temped to do so, especially when I saw the gunpowder skills....but I'll not defy the dice and stick with the Elvish Fighter that came out of those rolls.
Old 03-29-15, 09:58 AM   #5
Egan
Admiral

Stuck with my vanilla Human Fighter. Currently wandering around an not entirely sure what's going on. Just realised I had it set to 'Easy'. Was wondering why all the combat was going so well this early... Glad you can change it in-game.

So far....well...I don't think it's going to grab me like BG or PS:T did, but it's early days yet. Certainly enjoying it though.
Old 03-30-15, 03:31 AM   #6
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Also wandering out grabbing that I'm some kind of Watcher, I can see and speak to souls, I must be careful since my own soul is awakened thus it may cause me to remember past lives and turn into Gollum&Smeagol.....I wish these fokes I talk to that are important to the plot would stop talk like Gandalf!
Still have to get that far that I'll start to understand why it's so important, but that's obsidian for you it'll unfold the further you get.

Also....I went to the edge of the screen forgetting one member

''you must gather your...
Old 03-30-15, 08:14 AM   #7
Egan
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterICX View Post
Also wandering out grabbing that I'm some kind of Watcher, I can see and speak to souls, I must be careful since my own soul is awakened thus it may cause me to remember past lives and turn into Gollum&Smeagol.....I wish these fokes I talk to that are important to the plot would stop talk like Gandalf!
Still have to get that far that I'll start to understand why it's so important, but that's obsidian for you it'll unfold the further you get.

Also....I went to the edge of the screen forgetting one member

''you must gather your...
lol, yeah. me too.

Still, it's making me want to go on an infinity engine blow out. Think I'll buy new copies of BG and BG2 + expansions from GoG and mod them. Wouldn't mind giving Wasteland 2 a bash as well .
Old 03-30-15, 10:16 AM   #8
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egan View Post
lol, yeah. me too.

Still, it's making me want to go on an infinity engine blow out. Think I'll buy new copies of BG and BG2 + expansions from GoG and mod them. Wouldn't mind giving Wasteland 2 a bash as well .
Wasteland 2 imo is a must have, played through it I found it a blast
am going to play through it again but after they released the graphical engine overhaul they've announced.

Shame Gamergate no longer sells the dungeons & dragons anthology: the master collection which contained pretty much all of BG 1 & 2, Icewind dale 1 & 2, PS:T and Tempel of Elemental Evil and there was a similar collection for NWN 1 &2 but seems they are no longer available on Gamersgate. I lucky managed to grab that some time ago whilst it was on Sale. I do also have the EE editions of BG1 & 2 for the ease of running it on higher resolution and online with friends.
Old 03-30-15, 11:02 PM   #9
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 29

I bought this anthology on GOG.com a while.
http://www.gog.com/mix/dungeons_and_...ter_collection
Give it time and it will be back on sale again as a bundle.

Captain Haplo
CaptainHaplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-15, 05:19 AM   #10
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Just a heads up, there be nasty bug in the game:
Quote:
The ‘orrible situation occurs if you equip an inventory item by double-clicking
rather than dragging over it to the relevant slot on your character’s paper doll.

Do this and the character in question will lose all permanent, passive and
racial buffs forever and ever and ever, until you reload a savegame from before it happens.
The Emperor’s Borked Clothes: Pillars of Eternity Uber-Bug
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-15, 05:51 AM   #11
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Well luckily my habbit has always been to drag and drop when messing about in the inventory.

But I'll have to check my character sheets to be sure I haven't accidently once did by double click.