SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > Wolfpack
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-31-16, 05:06 AM   #1
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Default Life in Sweden

Hey, is there a rule against sharing some of the non-game development slice of life here?

I hope not! Maybe you will find this interesting (if not, I apologize, skip this thread). There will continue to be game news and updates in the other threads.

I have been a poor foreigner living in Stockholm for three weeks now. I like this city very much, but I miss my motorcycle. To go places by bus is time-consuming. I have a bicycle now and maybe I can use that...but if I end up in Finland, please steer me back to Sweden.

Highlights of this trip:

I got to have some tacos with Subsim member Vendor

Here's where I am renting a house for the trip, Hasselby

Stockholm Computer Science Building, where the dev's studio is

Down by a river, somewhere in the city

I found a motorcycle but I could not get it started. I think it needs fuel.....

Last night I was invited to a Peruvian pachamanca, which is an old way of cooking by building a fire, heating some bricks to a high temperature, then removing the fire and placing the meat and vegetables (corn, potatoes, yams, and beans) on the bricks. Then they cover everything with banana leafs (or in Sweden some other grass), and dirt.

About 45 minutes later everything is uncovered....

...and the feasting begins!

Some interesting architecture, but I'm not convinced someone got a measurement wrong somewhere....
Old 07-31-16, 07:23 AM   #2
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32
Uploads: 0

Cool, thanks for sharing!

Any big cultural shocks yet?
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-16, 08:26 AM   #3
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Nothing huge. Different traffic culture; here cars have to give pedestrians the right away in unmarked intersections. Restaurants are appallingly scarce...which may explain why most Swedes are thin and I'm not Thankfully everyone speaks American so I can interact with anyone at will.
Old 07-31-16, 09:48 AM   #4
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Last night I was invited to a Peruvian pachamanca, which is an old way of cooking by building a fire, heating some bricks to a high temperature, then removing the fire and placing the meat and vegetables (corn, potatoes, yams, and beans) on the bricks. Then they cover everything with banana leafs (or in Sweden some other grass), and dirt.
Sounds like a luau of a good time! How's that Lapin Kulta to Finnish off a pachamanca?

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 07-31-16 at 10:04 AM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-16, 11:16 PM   #5
cbrown1790
Mate

Downloads: 164

Some advice from another American transplant - watch out for their schnapps and stay away from Surströmming!!

I could go into details, but I made the mistake of "shooting" the schnapps in one gulp while everyone else was sipping theirs. This was when I was introduced to my new father in-law. The Surströmming....well... look that up in YouTube. Awful - just awful. That would be the only time where I would"shoot"the schnapps 😁.

Hope you enjoy it here. Best time of year.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
cbrown1790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-16, 05:17 AM   #6
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Ahh, Surstroemming, you don't know what you miss

I remember one member of a sailing boat tour in the baltic, and a small "Schaere" island, where he put a good portion on his bread and then ate it. I think he spent the next 30 minutes near the water.. you'll sure lose weight.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-16, 06:16 AM   #7
SiggeMan
Sailor man

Downloads: 68

Welcome to my country! Enjoy your stay! Btw if you have time or interest, on the 13th or 16th of august (i need to doubleckeck) its Swedish Navy day! Its in Karlskrona in the south of Sweden though, but a swedish sub will probs be there, would be cool to check out, i might to myself :P I live in Stockholm tho, so long way for me aswell. Enjoy Svea!
SiggeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-16, 10:21 AM   #8
HunterICX
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 8

I'd say Vendor won the ''Squint your eyes like Clint Eastwood'' contest.

Thanks for sharing

(for the suzy putting the carbs back in position should fix the fuel problem, perhaps a new rear tire and seat because that doesn't look to comfortable and you might have to push it down road to get it running because the battery looks cooked as well )

Last edited by HunterICX; 08-01-16 at 11:38 AM.
HunterICX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-16, 01:42 PM   #9
Gerald
SUBSIM Newsman

Downloads: 548

Very good Neal! The pictures are fine, one that you say do not know where it is, the lake on the right side is the Stockholm City Hall, I look forward to more, and if not, I can gladly provide help, right now I'm on crutches, and you know why, and how you want to get hold of me if you need help, but I can say that the motorcycle now proved unable to run, there seem to be the subject of an investigation by the police, we been sin touch.

Marie Curie

Gerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-16, 02:06 PM   #10
Gerald
SUBSIM Newsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterICX View Post
I'd say Vendor won the ''Squint your eyes like Clint Eastwood'' contest.

Thanks for sharing

(for the suzy putting the carbs back in position should fix the fuel problem, perhaps a new rear tire and seat because that doesn't look to comfortable and you might have to push it down road to get it running because the battery looks cooked as well )
That's genteel compliment.

Marie Curie

Old 08-01-16, 04:51 PM   #11
Gerald
SUBSIM Newsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
Ahh, Surstroemming, you don't know what you miss

I remember one member of a sailing boat tour in the baltic, and a small "Schaere" island, where he put a good portion on his bread and then ate it. I think he spent the next 30 minutes near the water.. you'll sure lose weight.

Marie Curie

Old 08-02-16, 05:11 PM   #12
Polak
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1

Skipper, how do you cope with the lack of good quality cuts of steak in Sweden? There are nice steaks in Sweden I guess that they don't come close to what you have in Texas.
Old 08-02-16, 06:22 PM   #13
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polak View Post
Skipper, how do you cope with the lack of good quality cuts of steak in Sweden? There are nice steaks in Sweden I guess that they don't come close to what you have in Texas.
Since I'm off to one of Napa's better steakhouses tonight for my 36th anniversary, here's one answer http://www.slowtravelstockholm.com/food-and-drink/stockholms-steakhouses/ Including...oddly
Quote:
A popular franchise with over 10 stores and delis in Stockholm alone, Texas Longhorn is known for its ribeye steaks and New York cut striploins and you’ll definitely be getting Texas-sized portions here.
Texas Longhorn was founded by Philip Gerard Huntzinger who was born in Omaha, Nebraska, USA’s beef capital but grew up in Texas which is known for its steaks. He would later move to Sweden in 1987. He would go on to open his first Longhorn in 1994 on St. Paulsgatan in Stockholm; a small intimate restaurant with great character and an at-home feeling.
www.texaslonghorn.se

Obviously, any transplanted Texans will have "no beef" with the Swedish "bôvine cuisine" scene!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Onkel Neal; 08-03-16 at 01:48 AM. Reason: added line break in order move image to the next line
Old 08-03-16, 01:47 AM   #14
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polak View Post

Good question: I have only had one steak here, and it's different. Which is ok, since I stopped driving a truck for this venture, I am trying to slim down, so no steak for a while is a good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiggeMan View Post
Welcome to my country! Enjoy your stay! Btw if you have time or interest, on the 13th or 16th of august (i need to doubleckeck) its Swedish Navy day! Its in Karlskrona in the south of Sweden though, but a swedish sub will probs be there, would be cool to check out, i might to myself :P I live in Stockholm tho, so long way for me aswell. Enjoy Svea!

Oh, cool, that may be the excuse I need to rent a motorcycle and take a road trip.

I cant find any reference to anything happening, what do you think, is there someone to contact?
Old 08-03-16, 06:18 AM   #15
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
I cant find any reference to anything happening, what do you think, is there someone to contact?
The August schedule of the Marinens Musikkår (Band of the Royal Swedish Navy ) might lend a clue:http://www.marinensmusikkar.se/english.shtml
The Band of the Swedish Navy
Östra Prinsgatan 2
S-371 31 Karlskrona SWEDEN

Phone +46 455 858 30
Fax +46 455 858 36