SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-13-08, 02:43 AM   #601
Delareon
Planesman

Downloads: 77
Uploads: 0

Hey, finally i installed the Mod. This was my way to enter the "manual targeting club"
So a big thank you to the creator.

The only thing i messing up with is the missing Zoom.
Ok i read the problem that when u add the zooming there will no longer
be waves in your scope view. But at the other hand without the zooming
its nearly impossible to get a good solution if the target is far away (about 3000 Meters
on my last try) because you didnt get accurate datas and on that distance a small error results in a missing torpedo.

So at the moment its really hard especially as a beginner in manual targeting.
Is there a way to disable just that removed zooming factors without disabling any
of the other features?

thats a really hard decicion because if i really re-enable that zoomings and there will again be a flat sea even in heavy storms its also an atmosphere loss.......
Delareon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-08, 03:13 AM   #602
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delareon
Hey, finally i installed the Mod. This was my way to enter the "manual targeting club"
So a big thank you to the creator.

The only thing i messing up with is the missing Zoom.
Ok i read the problem that when u add the zooming there will no longer
be waves in your scope view. But at the other hand without the zooming
its nearly impossible to get a good solution if the target is far away (about 3000 Meters
on my last try) because you didnt get accurate datas and on that distance a small error results in a missing torpedo.

So at the moment its really hard especially as a beginner in manual targeting.
Is there a way to disable just that removed zooming factors without disabling any
of the other features?

thats a really hard decicion because if i really re-enable that zoomings and there will again be a flat sea even in heavy storms its also an atmosphere loss.......
Just use OLCE2 with OLC GUI 1.2.4.
Old 05-13-08, 03:28 AM   #603
mainexpress
Ensign

Downloads: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelifecrisis
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainexpress
Quote:
Originally Posted by onelifecrisis
Quote:
When did you set 90 degrees AOB port?
Before I started recording.

Quote:
So if i understand this right you line up 0 bearing in the attack scope,on a ship lock the target,identify the ship,switch too manual TDC,and set 90 degrees AOB port,then flip the switch{TDC to AUTO} ,then unlock the scope?..is that right.
Nope. :p
OLC, i was wondering if you can make another tutorial video on this part:p
har har
No, I'm not going to start making video tutorials explaining stock behaviours.
OLC i found the old Wazoos manual charting & targeting tutorial,that has helped me quite a bit,im using the fast 90 basic manual targeting.-http://www.paulwasserman.net/SHIII/
mainexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-08, 04:48 AM   #604
Uber Gruber
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I like the no-zoom version, in fact having used OLC for a couple of months now I can safely say its worth the learning curve. A very realistic mod
Old 05-13-08, 06:20 AM   #605
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Hello Onelifecrisis,
thanks again for all this - we are really having a ball with OLCE, and certainly GWX2.1 . Hope you are not embarrassed, just wish you will get on with the real life thing, and wish you the very best.

Apart from that i have a question :
Please don't take that as an attack or something, it is just some (hopefully) fruitful critic - since "we" all (or better: you) are trying to get SH3 as "real" as possible (if you can talk of that from an armchair's fighting position) i thought of the day and night visibility. I recently had a look into some of my books again ("Sharks and little fish", "Das Boot", Brennecke's "Hunters, hunted", and some others.

You wrote (and i experienced that) that you turned down night visibility range of surface ships to reflect real life, and i like it very much - this is a real advance in quality for SH3, which gives the U-boats back their #1 advantage of surface attacks at night.
Having read some passages in those books again (which i really should translate into English sooner or later) my perception is that night visibility is still too good for the surface ships compared to the reports. Apart from radar the "Mk 1 eyeball" did not change during the war.
Even after radar the surface ship crews were blind on a distance of less that 1000 meters, so even if radar picked up the boat at night at a range of, say, 8000 meters by radar, and the DE would go for this position, it would not detect the boat below that 1000 m range.
There are numerous reports by U-boat crews that stated destroyers and merchants were almost colliding with them, or running close on parallel courses without the surface ship's crews even noticing the U-boat. As well U-boats were known to run with the convoy surfaced, and would not be detected: neither by physical visibility, nor by radar because of the convoy's ship hulls blocking radar waves, and the general bad detection of a low silhouette conning tower running between bigger contacts.
A boat within a convoy was almost secure at night unless spotted by a merchant by mistake (b.t.w. not one U-boat was ever hit by a merchant's gun throughout the war - certainly not at night). In my opinion this is still much too difficult in GWX2.1 and OLCE. As a real commander said about the original SH3: "I would have had no chance if things were as they are in SH3. They get me everytime".
Question is whether one could tone down this visibility a bit further without ruining the other settings of general visibility ?

Thanks a lot and greetings,
Catfish
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-08, 06:45 AM   #606
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Catfish, you have no idea what you're asking for! Most of it is impossible in SH3 AFAIK, and what is possible is riddled with difficulties.

Night visibility in OLCU is been greatly reduced compared to GWX 2.1, albeit unintentionally, and as of OLCU 2.1 the visual sensors are working "correctly" (i.e. the same as GWX 2.1) during daylight hours. IMO that's more than enough of an improvement for a mod that was never meant to touch sensors in the first place. I don't want to mess with sensors anymore.

@Uber Gruber, what's this OLC "1.2.2" in your sig!?
Old 05-13-08, 09:33 AM   #607
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Hello Onelifecrisis,
it was "only" a question ...
" ... Catfish, you have no idea what you're asking for! ..."
ok, but i got a glimpse of what it means
Thank you anyway !
Greetings,
Catfish
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-08, 01:25 PM   #608
Uber Gruber
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Humpf........bloody free advertising.....is that better...
Old 05-13-08, 01:36 PM   #609
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber Gruber
Quote:
Humpf........bloody free advertising.....is that better...
Old 05-13-08, 04:40 PM   #610
Azrael Valedhel
Watch

Downloads: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish
(b.t.w. not one U-boat was ever hit by a merchant's gun throughout the war - certainly not at night)
I'm not that sure about this, Bernard Edwards in "War of the U-Boats. British Merchantmen Under Fire" writes about U-42 (Kptlt. Rolf Dau) which fought a steamer named Stonepool. Stonepool had 100mm stern gun (or whatever you call it ) - Edwards writes that the steamer was damaged by several shots and although crippled - she was able to dock at Barry. Edwards also writes that Stonepool managed to damage the U-42 with at least one shot, cause when the captain saw the u-boat surfaced again it had the deck gun damaged and probably was hit under the water line, that was estimated because of u-boat "unstable" moves... After some time two destroyers came to rescue the steamer - HMS Imogen and HMS Ilex. The book says Dau sank his u-boat and surrendered to the destroyers, but other sources stated that the u-boat: "Sunk 13 Oct, 1939 south-west of Ireland, in position 49.12N, 16.00W, by depth charges from the British destroyers HMS Imogen and HMS Ilex. 26 dead and 20 survivors." [http://www.uboat.net/boats/u42.htm]
Here's a note from the same site about Stonepool:
"About 08.30 hours on 13 Oct, 1939, the Stonepool, dispersed from convoy OB-17, was damaged by gunfire from U-42 (Dau) south of Bantry Bay in position 48°40N/15°30W (grid BE 3749). The ship was en route from Barry to St. Vincent loaded with 6600 tons of coal and general cargo. After ten minutes, the U-boat was forced to dive by the accurate returned fire, leaving the deck gun crew in the water. While the Germans surfaced again to pick up their men, the steamer sent distress signals which brought HMS Ilex (D 61) and HMS Imogen (D 44) to the scene. At 18.55 hours, the steamer spotted the U-boat on the surface, which was shortly thereafter sunk by the destroyers. " [http://www.uboat.net/allies/merchants/ships/1103.html]

Now, about the mod - I absolutely love it. It's really a masterpiece OLC, looks briliant. Now playing with GWX2.1 and OLCU I'm not going to install SH4 anytime soon (I had it, and I did get rid of it right after downloading GWX2.1^^). Now, there's just one little thing... The moon ^^ Is there a way to get the GWX2.1 moon back? :> Or is it the same and I'm having some stupid halucinations? (Cause that's pretty much possible knowing the time I spend on the computer each day ;P) And the second issue - Realistic Map Updates is what I was looking for - but there's one thingy that needs to be corrected IMHO - when you select a ship on the map you get the line which shows you an estimated course, right? Well, you still can do it, and the line is visible. And it can be used to estimate the ships position and course far too easily... If one knows it can be done. It's still a lil' bit guessing about the position, but you get the exact course

But these are minor thingies, with or without them - this mod is really uber. Wait, isn't that why it's called Ubermod in the first place? ^^
Thanks for all the work on this beauty, it was worth it.
Old 05-13-08, 05:37 PM   #611
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael Valedhel
Now, about the mod - I absolutely love it. It's really a masterpiece OLC, looks briliant. Now playing with GWX2.1 and OLCU I'm not going to install SH4 anytime soon (I had it, and I did get rid of it right after downloading GWX2.1^^). Now, there's just one little thing... The moon ^^ Is there a way to get the GWX2.1 moon back? :> Or is it the same and I'm having some stupid halucinations? (Cause that's pretty much possible knowing the time I spend on the computer each day ;P) And the second issue - Realistic Map Updates is what I was looking for - but there's one thingy that needs to be corrected IMHO - when you select a ship on the map you get the line which shows you an estimated course, right? Well, you still can do it, and the line is visible. And it can be used to estimate the ships position and course far too easily... If one knows it can be done. It's still a lil' bit guessing about the position, but you get the exact course

But these are minor thingies, with or without them - this mod is really uber. Wait, isn't that why it's called Ubermod in the first place? ^^
Thanks for all the work on this beauty, it was worth it.
Thanks. Now to answer your questions...
Is the moon is different?
Yes.
Is there a way to get the GWX moon back?
Yes there is - you download S3D and start modding.

Now about that line-giving course... it took me a minute to work out how you were getting it (with all three parts of the Ubermod installed) but I found it... you zoom out, click on a ship icon, then zoom right back in again - correct? Anyway that's one way of getting it.

Good feedback, I'll release 2.1.2 with a fix for that (once I know how to do a cheat I have to remove it lest I be tempted by it).

Thanks,
OLC
Old 05-13-08, 09:16 PM   #612
Wolfehunter
Crusty Capt.

Downloads: 40
Uploads: 25

Well OLC I only have good feedback to give you..

Help me help me hehehe. I love this photo,
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ter/Shot68.jpg

What do you see. I see fish bait hehehe.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ter/Shot69.jpg

Man sometimes those waves get insaine lol YEEEHAAAAW
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ter/Shot70.jpg
and AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ter/Shot71.jpg

Very nice weather,
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ter/Shot72.jpg

Nice hit,
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ter/Shot73.jpg

Till next time OLC keep up the amazing work. I have to say I'm totaly impressed with the magic coming out of your hat.
Old 05-14-08, 06:05 AM   #613
Uber Gruber
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Nice sun!!! Do you have an ATI card? I have an NVidia BFG GSX 8800 and only geta sun like a dot
Old 05-14-08, 10:19 AM   #614
Wolfehunter
Crusty Capt.

Downloads: 40
Uploads: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber Gruber
Nice sun!!! Do you have an ATI card? I have an NVidia BFG GSX 8800 and only geta sun like a dot
Nvidia XFX 7600GT 256m AGP. Sorry I never like ATI cards. My AF is 8x and my AA is 2x
Old 05-15-08, 10:19 AM   #615
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Default Ubermod 2.1.2 released...

...with some minor fixes to OLC Realistic Map Contact Updates.