SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-14-19, 10:31 AM   #1
MistaMeowmas
Swabbie

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0
Default SH4 Gold from GamersGate

Heyo Sailors,

Anyone else have copies of SH4 and SH3 from GamersGate and are having trouble with running them?

When I start mine up, I get greeted by a little window asking me for my CD-key, which appears to already have been entered for me (I've tried removing it and filling it out manually with the CD-Key provided to me too.) and when I try running it, it just gives me an 'unexpected error', then asks me to do it manually. Which also fails.

Am I missing something, or is it that it's trying to access a dead registration server and... I'm now stuck with an unusable copy of the game?

Thankfully I only paid like... 4 bucks for SH4 and 3 but still, I kinda wish I didn't have to go hunting down a... Less than legal copy just because mine isn't working.

Anyone got solutions?
MistaMeowmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-19, 03:45 PM   #2
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaMeowmas View Post
Heyo Sailors,

Anyone else have copies of SH4 and SH3 from GamersGate and are having trouble with running them?

When I start mine up, I get greeted by a little window asking me for my CD-key, which appears to already have been entered for me (I've tried removing it and filling it out manually with the CD-Key provided to me too.) and when I try running it, it just gives me an 'unexpected error', then asks me to do it manually. Which also fails.

Am I missing something, or is it that it's trying to access a dead registration server and... I'm now stuck with an unusable copy of the game?

Thankfully I only paid like... 4 bucks for SH4 and 3 but still, I kinda wish I didn't have to go hunting down a... Less than legal copy just because mine isn't working.

Anyone got solutions?

Hello, MistaMeowmas. Welcome to Subsim. Happy to have you with us.

I've never heard of the GamersGate myself, but since you purchased SH4 from them, have you tried contacting them and letting them know about the troubles your having with the installation of the game?

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-19, 08:01 AM   #3
MistaMeowmas
Swabbie

Default Currently waiting on a reply

Thanks for the welcome

I'm currently waiting on a reply from them, I'm honestly not sure whose registration/authorization service the game is going through...
Old 04-15-19, 06:25 PM   #4
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Quote:
Thanks for the welcome

I'm currently waiting on a reply from them, I'm honestly not sure whose registration/authorization service the game is going through...

Just offering an alternative for SH4 Gold Edition, you can buy SH4 through Subsim. The purchase is off Amazon. Cost would $19.99. Your choice of course.

Linky

Old 04-16-19, 05:06 AM   #5
mikesn9
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 View Post
Just offering an alternative for SH4 Gold Edition, you can buy SH4 through Subsim. The purchase is off Amazon. Cost would $19.99. Your choice of course.

Linky

That way subsim gets a little bit of your cost.

I spent the cold war under water.
mikesn9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-19, 01:18 PM   #6
Slyguy3129
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I can't be the only one who cringed so hard he thought he was having a stroke.

The guy wasn't looking to give you guys money, he was looking for help.....

In regards to needing a CD-Key, my retail physical copy has never asked for a key, and while the UBMs expansion comes with a CD Key. I've never had to put it in, and don't need the disk to run the game. I have absolutely no idea what the deal is.

But I would strongly suggest contacting the vendor you purchased it from before you give your money to other people.

In fact, I don't think UBMs has a physical copy. I got my from D2D (anyone remember that?) and I was still able to download it from the new site. I've never had it try to connect with any kind of server.
Old 04-16-19, 04:25 PM   #7
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyguy3129 View Post
I can't be the only one who cringed so hard he thought he was having a stroke.

The guy wasn't looking to give you guys money, he was looking for help.....

In regards to needing a CD-Key, my retail physical copy has never asked for a key, and while the UBMs expansion comes with a CD Key. I've never had to put it in, and don't need the disk to run the game. I have absolutely no idea what the deal is.

But I would strongly suggest contacting the vendor you purchased it from before you give your money to other people.

In fact, I don't think UBMs has a physical copy. I got my from D2D (anyone remember that?) and I was still able to download it from the new site. I've never had it try to connect with any kind of server.

Just to clear the air, I did mention in my first post in this thread that he contact GamersGate to resolve his problems as he bought the game from them which he stated. In my second post I mentioned an alternative to his problem if he so choose to use it. I was not looking for his money as you phrased it.

Old 04-17-19, 10:56 AM   #8
Slyguy3129
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 View Post
Just to clear the air, I did mention in my first post in this thread that he contact GamersGate to resolve his problems as he bought the game from them which he stated. In my second post I mentioned an alternative to his problem if he so choose to use it. I was not looking for his money as you phrased it.
I figured you were half kidding. Still, it didn't come across well in my not so humble opinion. But I don't really have a sense of humor!
Old 04-17-19, 08:19 PM   #9
MistaMeowmas
Swabbie

Default Fair

Nah nah, it's all good, not upset by it or anything. I appreciate the offer for the subsim copy, but I need to at least try to see if GamersGate has a fix for it first!!

Thanks for all the replies, folks!
Old 04-18-19, 01:22 PM   #10
SAMiV
Watch

Downloads: 145

I have the same problem. Let us know when & if GamersGate reply to you.

I suppose i could try to contact GG myself as well and see if they can help.

Damn copy protection things... Tages or whatever it's called.

Edit -> Sent just now a message to GamersGate support. See if they can help...

Edit 2 -> Oh well, couldn't wait, so i just decided to buy it (SH4 Gold Edition) again from GG since it's on sale there now (about 5€'s). Now the game is in my Uplay account.

Last edited by SAMiV; 04-18-19 at 02:52 PM.
SAMiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-19, 12:32 PM   #11
MistaMeowmas
Swabbie

Default Worked?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMiV View Post
I have the same problem. Let us know when & if GamersGate reply to you.

I suppose i could try to contact GG myself as well and see if they can help.

Damn copy protection things... Tages or whatever it's called.

Edit -> Sent just now a message to GamersGate support. See if they can help...

Edit 2 -> Oh well, couldn't wait, so i just decided to buy it (SH4 Gold Edition) again from GG since it's on sale there now (about 5€'s). Now the game is in my Uplay account.
The key you bought from GG worked on Uplay..?

I don't even see SH4 on GG anymore!

Last edited by MistaMeowmas; 04-19-19 at 12:43 PM.
Old 04-20-19, 07:45 AM   #12
SAMiV
Watch

Downloads: 145

Quote:
The key you bought from GG worked on Uplay..?

I don't even see SH4 on GG anymore!

Yes, i bought it from GG and it can be then linked to Uplay with your Uplay account details. It uses Uplay as DRM now.

It's in this address:

https://www.gamersgate.com/DD-SH4GE-...c-gold-edition

It's on sale now too for the next 5 days or so. 66% off from 14,99€ which is 5,10€.
SAMiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-19, 10:34 PM   #13
sckallst
Bosun

Downloads: 115

I'm having the same issue with both SH3 and SH4 bought through GG. Went to install them on my new machine (which may or may not have been purchased to better enjoy Wolfpack )
and neither one works due to the old Tages DRM stuff.

They also don't work on my old machine.

Also waiting on a reply from GG. I'll post if I hear anything.

Note: My activation keys did NOT work at Uplay.

Last edited by sckallst; 04-21-19 at 10:52 PM.
sckallst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-19, 10:52 PM   #14
Slyguy3129
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Well hearing these nightmare tales makes me appreciate my physical copy all the more. This will be Steam users in 10-15 years.
Old 04-22-19, 06:48 PM   #15
sckallst
Bosun

Downloads: 115

Here s the procedure I got in an email from GG. Iy's more or less "brute force and hope".

It hasn't worked for me yet, but if anybody else wants to try with their copy have at it.

Quote:
To solve the issue you'll need to follow the steps below:
1. Launch the shortcut in windows xp sp2 compatibility mode

2. Enter your activation code (It should already be pre-filled)

3. Click Next

4. If you received an error message OTHER than "Request refused by server: Activation limit exceeded with this serial number", then continue.
You'll have to close out of the game and launch the shortcut again until you get either the "unexpected" error message or the "error saving data" message.

5. When you receive a prompt to manually submit an activation code, DO NOT click on the save button. Click on the hyper linked text that reads something like " GRAW - @ctiv.htm"

6. ****THIS PART IS TRICKY*** You will need patience for this step.
You will be taken to a page to submit a request for the activation code. What you'll have to do is try to keep submitting the request over and over again until you are taken to a page that looks something like this:
----BEGIN ACTIVATION CODE b05223d98dd82d707eb3575ba6b33b37965558633b3093ee53 b64b5511b1a9c7
You have to keep trying. It seems as though using internet explorer helps somewhat. On most tries you'll get an error message saying the page cannot be reached. Eventually, you'll get the code.

7. There should be an open dialogue box for you to copy the activation code into. Paste the code into the box and click continue/next. You should get a message that reads "All operations completed, please click the button "finish".

We understand that this may be too complicated but this is the only known fix for us since Tages support is not much of a help nowadays because their service is slowly dying unfortunately.
We hope this helps.
sckallst is offline   Reply With Quote