SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-13-08, 09:17 PM   #1
Bramtyr
Sailor man

Downloads: 19
Uploads: 0
Default Detailed Wake Island Mission

Hi, still really new to the forums and SH4, but i'm totally hooked, especially on the modding aspect of the game.

As for mission editing, a quick readover the tutorials made me realise that it would be pretty damn sweet to do a sub mission of the defense of Wake Island in Dec '41. Both the USS Tambor and the USS Triton, both Tambor-class subs were present off Wake Island and actively participated in the island's defense, both trough the detection of Japanese forces and by direct confrontation at times.

I have a stack of literature on Wake (I would strongly reccomend A Magnificent Fight by Robert J. Cressman; the detail is unsurpassed) and am up to the challenge of making a Wake mission exteding from Dec 8th to the time of the island's surrender.

The three events of hostilities in the mission would be:

-Nearly daily bombing attacks from G3M2 medium bombers

-The first landing attempt on December 11th-12th

-The second, successful landing on December 23rd

As one of the two submarines, it'd basically be a goal to both detect the enemy (and warn Wake, which I believe you can do with what the game has to offer) as well as sink and disrupt enough of the second landing attempt that it as well has to be aborted. The element of both extreme defiance with limited resources (an unfinished garrison, 450 marines, a mere four Grumman F4Fs, gun emplacements lacking rangefinders, etc) little or no hope of reinforcement or relief, coupled with exceptional tenacious defence makes Wake Island a compelling story, and should be a fun environment to simulate. So who is onboard to help with this little Thermopylae in the Pacific?

I'm not sure whats been built so far in the community, locating things is difficult. I've catalogued everything through the second landing attempt, and whats needed for this project so far:

F4F Wildcat mods (i'm willing to skin this so it matches the VMF-211 paint applied in Nov 41)
PBY Catalina mods -- SH3 Had these, but i'm not sure yet how to go about moving them over and reskinnning. Probably a new model exists, right?

3-inch land-based gun
5-inch land-based gun- costal batteries exist in the game, so i just need to look into getting them to work inside the mission. [These guns on Wake sank one destroyer, and damaged several others demonstrating some exceptional gunnery skills]

Tambor Class - I think you can have AI subs in the missions, right? This class already exists in-game. Though i'm not at a position to check right this minute

For the Japanese side leading upto and during the first wave, and the ships in that class present:

G3M2 Bomber (Betty's would probably do fine standing in)
Daihatsu landing craft (the Allied landing craft included in the game is an easy substitute)

Ship classes [present vessels in brackets]

Yubari-class Light Cruiser
[the Yubari]
Tenryu-class Light Cruiser [the Tenryu & its sister, Tatsuda, crusty WWI-era ships]
Mutsuki-class Destroyer [Kisaragi, Mutsuki, Yayoi, Mochizuki]
Kamikaze/Oite-class Destroyer [Oite, Hayate]

The submarines RO-65, RO-66, RO-67, all either L3 or L4-type submarines, need more research on that - am i totally crazy or did i remember seeing some japanese sub models in the game museum thingy?

Kongo Maru - Auxiliary Cruiser/Armed Merchant/Transport, 8,624 gross tonnage
Kinryu Maru - Auxiliary Cruiser/Armed Merchant/Transport, 9,310 gross tonnage

-Note that the Mutsuki-class was part of one big happy family of destroyer class, including Minekaze, Sawakaze, Kamikaze and the 'Late'-Kamikaze/Oite-Classes that basically only differed in armament - If my memory serves me correctly the Minekaze class model exists in the game, and the process of modding armament on a single hull to make several classes should be a relatively job to do.

i'm not sure what the best equivalent would be for each of these ships, but they would be a nice addition to get out there into the pacific, each sported something around 4 5.5"x50 guns and a couple of machine guns. The Japanese had about 2 dozen or so aux cruisers at the beginning of the war... actually modding them would be interesting. I'll need to go get some more research and visuals on the subject.

Aaaaanyways...

I haven't done any game modelling or skinning, or mission building yet; but am a graphic design student and am familiar with 3D tools and photoshop. Anyways, this is a huuuge post, as i'm not sure what exists already thats been modded, as it seems theres not exact comprehensive list of whats been made for the SH4 community (either that or i'm a newbie and haven't found it yet)

I think this would be a terrific and fun mission to both play and develop, using what the game is capable but never implimented in the vanilla release. So hopefully this post made sense of what I had in mind for the project, if you'd like to point me in the right direction of where to go, please by all means let me know!

-Bramtyr

Last edited by Bramtyr; 08-14-08 at 02:29 PM.
Bramtyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-08, 11:04 PM   #2
buddha95
Planesman

Downloads: 0

you write it and Ill play it

good luck and thanks
keep him warm for the reat of his life !!

http://s309.photobucket.com/albums/kk365/buddha95-3898http://battleflags.net/miniflags/Bat...ddha95_sig.jpg
/
buddha95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-08, 12:50 PM   #3
SteamWake
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 5

Pretty damn ambitious... Good for you !

You will probably want to ask for help over in the modding section of these forums. Lots of 'experts' over there.

Keep us posted and good luck.
SteamWake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-08, 02:27 PM   #4
Bramtyr
Sailor man

Alright I will! Is this the right place to ask for help with mission editing problems, or do I do that in the mod section too? (Already started to throw some test missions together to see how the AI performs and ran into a few hangups.)
Old 08-14-08, 02:53 PM   #5
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

I will move your thread to the mod forums. More visibility by those in the know.

I see you have a thread in the mission designers forum also. You should be good to go.
Old 08-14-08, 09:25 PM   #6
gimpy117
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 108

yea

are there ground units in game?
and can they attack others? how cool would a ground war in game be
Old 08-14-08, 10:49 PM   #7
Bramtyr
Sailor man

You might be able to simulate combat going on by placing dueling costal batteries inland; i'm not sure if they will target each other, but if they do... you would see and hear the blasts on the horizon. That'd be pretty sweet, especially for missions involving nightime supply drops to the embattled forces on Guadalcanal or something.

Also, how awesome would it be to have the AA generate flak smoke bursts. I know you can't code in proximity fusing, but i wonder if a script for a particle effect could be generated at a random distance after a certain point [aka 1000 + x ft. of projectile travel a flak burst + sound would generate, with the invisible projectile continuing happily]

Experienced modders, can you enlighten us to this feasability
?
Old 02-27-09, 10:56 AM   #8
Starforce2
Planesman

Downloads: 25

it's too bad the land guns couldn't be fixed so they wrok, heard several are empty. But given the progress of the FOTRS mod, you atleast have all the planes and they've added ships such as aux cruisers, and they have an AI sen toku..so perhaps eventually that mdo might be good for simulating this one.
Starforce2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-09, 02:20 PM   #9
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

the mission builders thread is a little "slow" because quite frankly so much attention has been focused on mods. even though your supposed to do mission questions in the other thread i think your better off here and should get faster responses.

we would love well made missions and the only mission issues i am aware of are something with land based guns not appearing even if done correctly. (i think its an actual game bug)
Old 02-27-09, 03:59 PM   #10
tater
Navy Seal

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 2

The EASY way to do this.

Install RSRDC.

Build your mission with RSRDC loaded.

The F4F, etc will be there to place, as will more japanese ship choices. The japanese forces moving on Wake are already in the campaign. It would take a little looking around (read lurker's README carefully, and don't change things in the editor or the timing will be off) but you can do the following.

1. Author your single mission with the basics set up. Player sub, etc.

2. Load your mission in the editor, then MERGE the appropriate campaign layers from RSRDC that are important for your Wake mission. The Pearl harbor forces, etc. You can MERGE them without making them savable, which is important. This will allow you to SEE all those units on the map, but only your Single Mission will be saved when you save, instead of your mission, plus a bunch of layers.

3. You can now add to the Wake stuff that is in RSRDC for your single mission. All the ships are there, but you can add flights of bombers, F4F CAP waypoints, whatever.

You would be making a single mission that would only work for other RSRDC players, but it would save a lot of work, and the rest of the game world would be consistent.

tater
tater
tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-09, 04:00 PM   #11
tater
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starforce2
it's too bad the land guns couldn't be fixed so they wrok, heard several are empty. But given the progress of the FOTRS mod, you atleast have all the planes and they've added ships such as aux cruisers, and they have an AI sen toku..so perhaps eventually that mdo might be good for simulating this one.
Land guns work fine.

I need to make a Q&D mod and release it. A few common ones don't work because they are placed on the map with one name, but the files they use have another, so they don't show up right.

It's trivial, really.
Old 02-27-09, 06:43 PM   #12
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tater

Land guns work fine.

I need to make a Q&D mod and release it. A few common ones don't work because they are placed on the map with one name, but the files they use have another, so they don't show up right.

It's trivial, really.
if you have a fix i would love to add that to my GFO patch
Old 02-27-09, 08:03 PM   #13
tater
Navy Seal

I did a fix a while back, lemme see if it would even work for stock. Fixing stuff in the stock campaign is very much putting lipstick on a pig.