SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > Wolfpack
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-29-16, 12:41 PM   #31
Feldpost
Watch

Downloads: 72
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
...I wonder if VR players will adapt to motion sickness the way real sailors learn to adapt to real sea sickness... wouldn't that be interesting?
Interessting point

Never played with VR yet (motion sickness) but got some experience in smaller boats (sea sickness)... i think both are similar since in both cases the problem is that the sense of balance doesn't match to the visuals you get...

On boats, as long you have moderate sea and 'static' visuals like the horizone there are no problems with sea sickness (so, if you get someone who becomes seasick on a sailboat in moderate sea-> let take him the rudder control on deck ASAP)

If you go under deck to grab some food and lose that 'visual' fix points, (similar to read a book as car passenger, some people get sick fast).

There should be an option accessible like (one for 'outside' and another for inside sub)
* Slider: fix view to ship <=vs.=> fix view to horizone (this should be always accessible in a 'pause'-menu)

lol, that could also be used as a skill for a possible single-campaign mode: "seafarer-legs" - Getting seasick fast and hard to hit the controls in beginning

I like the idea with the teleport system using a light beam, a nice matching flashlamp (red under 'red-light ' conditions)
Feldpost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-16, 07:09 AM   #32
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feldpost View Post
[...] On boats, as long you have moderate sea and 'static' visuals like the horizone there are no problems with sea sickness (so, if you get someone who becomes seasick on a sailboat in moderate sea-> let take him the rudder control on deck ASAP) [...]
Lol tell this to my wife. She was seasick below deck as she was on deck, and at the helm. But then i still wonder what she was doing aboard S175 back then

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-16, 10:48 AM   #33
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
^ Nice!
Not as Diesel-electric as in the US fleet subs, but the first time i read about this, and in detail!

Should post this in the Wolfpack forum, so they can build this sim right!
But maybe a bit too complicated to simulate all this

What should be simluated though is, while both Diesels running full ahead and both driving the generators (= both electric engines switched to generator/dynamo mode and coupled to the propshaft), the overall speed should change from say 18 knots to a bit less, but not decreasing the overall speed so much as it has been simulated in all those other sims!

Running full ahead while charging the batteries should still be good for some 15 knots!
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?p=2430500#post2430500 DONE ! The 5% rudder screw-speed offset should be interesting.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-16, 01:59 PM   #34
Eagle0110
Nub

Downloads: 66

Glad to see it's turning into a greater scope of game!
Eagle0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-16, 03:59 PM   #35
Ashikaga
Commodore

Downloads: 31

Though it is a very interesting concept you really need to work on your graphics. If you can merge the quality of SH5 with this game it will be well worth playing.
Ashikaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-16, 01:50 AM   #36
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

The graphics are what they are. We are a small dev team, SH5 had 27+ people and millions of dollars to make their game.

We are focusing on gameplay first.
Old 09-08-16, 08:55 AM   #37
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

Default Welcome aboard!

Eagle0110!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Old 09-13-16, 02:18 PM   #38
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
The graphics are what they are. We are a small dev team, SH5 had 27+ people and millions of dollars to make their game.

We are focusing on gameplay first.
I absolutely agree. Eye candy will get someone to look at a game. Gameplay keeps them playing it. You sell additional copies when people who keep playing the game recommend it to others.

However when people attracted to the eye candy find bad gameplay they become recommenders of quite a different sort. That can kill a game dead.

Gameplay has to come first. You can make it look better later.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-16, 02:12 PM   #39
PL_Andrev
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Quote:
I absolutely agree.
Absolutely disagree with you.

Games like DC, SH2-5 had much more than 27 people working at this games each with unlimited financial budget: they called fans and community worked for free to make these games better and better.

I think that Einar, Oscar and Neal should prepare basic gameplay only (HMS Marulken was already playable), create Steam's multiplayer cooperation and publish this game code excluded Steam's multiplayer engine.

In this solution Einar, Oscar and Neal will collect bucks with selling game by Steam (to play multiplayer on Steam) and modders will have full access to game code to eliminate bugs, make amazing mods, much more interesting that mods prepared for SH3-5 (like new ships, new submarines, new playable nations).

PL_Andrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-16, 03:01 AM   #40
Gotmilk
Planesman

Downloads: 35

You cannot mod Unity authored games by default. This is something developer has to actively support and its probably out of their development scope. http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/mak...e-game.312490/
Gotmilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-16, 11:23 AM   #41
kellpossible
Nub

Downloads: 35

I think the most important decision the team can make (aside from putting gameplay first which is great) would be to actively support the modding community and modders here with their product. Subsim wouldn't be here with without them. Take a big leaf out of kerbal space programs book, see how they do it (also a unity game by the way), by far the best mod support for a simulation style game that I've seen. No need to jump through all the hoops of hacking the executable, and fantastic interoperation between mods with minimal conflicts and the ability to change almost all functionality of the game. Any dummy can install mods in KSP just copy it into the mod folder I also get the feeling that a decision like this is best made early in the development process so as to incorporate it into the software design and reap the best results later on.

Graphics, screw it, if they support mods and the base gameplay is good, people will work for free and in a short time you'll get something like all the realism mods for KSP making it look flipping fantastic. If the people here can manage to mod Silent hunter to such a degree having to work around a huge amount of problems, I can't imagine what they could achieve with support from the developers.

There's only so much the developers can achieve with the time they have, compromises have to be made, but by supporting the modders, this game can continue to grow well after they sit back and relax.

Last edited by kellpossible; 09-20-16 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Missing word
kellpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-16, 11:47 AM   #42
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Default Welcome aboard!

kellpossible!

Old 09-21-16, 07:56 AM   #43
rainiere
Seaman

Downloads: 281

Meanwhile, the HMS Marulken demo got a fun playthrough at frooglesim's YouTube channel:

rainiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-16, 03:34 PM   #44
CybrSlydr
Lieutenant

Downloads: 13

Just got the e-mail about this - wow!!!

Good news is I start a new job on Monday, so I should be able to send you folks some money in a few weeks.

Also - the water in that looks INCREDIBLE!!!

Last edited by CybrSlydr; 10-15-16 at 03:43 PM.
CybrSlydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-16, 06:20 PM   #45
GSpector
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 11

The idea of a new sim sounds great.

What features will it have?

Will it offer single-player at all?

Will there be chances to earn Medals, Ribbons and/or Ranks?

Other than German, what other side will there be and will there be a chance to control the other side?

Tags
marulken, wolfpack