Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 10-16-07, 04:33 PM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

A legend continues with it's fourth incarnation

This is beauty in flight. Enjoy!

http://www.flight1software.com/videos/realairsf260.wmv

This is plain and simple the best addon I know of for planes of this small size. I knew the first version, and currently operate the third version for FS9. They have made it available for FSX now.

If aerobatics is your thing, this is a must-have. Smooth-gauges-programming and flight physics are amongst the best you can find.
Old 10-17-07, 09:56 AM   #2
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

Downloads: 165

It would be nice if you wrote what product you are referring to, so everyone can decide if its interesting for them or not

GlobalExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-07, 02:20 PM   #3
Chock
Sea Lord

Downloads: 0

It's the SF260, the Flight Simulator version of which is indeed legendary for it's vastly superior flight modelling to most other FS aircraft.

It was originally produced by a freelance team which made it for a company that has recently been folded up, stating that they would no longer be supporting it. Several threads on the AVSIM forum by the original developers urged people not to buy it because of this and the fact that they had not been paid for some development work, so your cash if you bought it would not go to them.

However, it seems that my buddies at Flight1 have stepped in and are now selling it under their banner, so maybe the original devs will see some cash flow their way. Flight1 is my favourite developer for FS stuff and the 260 is certainly a worthy addition to their line.

The real SF260 is an advanced military trainer and many are in private hands too. Most of the 'Dogfight experience' type companies that have electronic cannons and sensors fitted to their aircraft, so you can have a bash at real dogfighting, use the SF260. It's unusual in being a side-by-side two-seater with the P1 pilot's seat being on the right side of the cockpit, this is so that the pilot can use his left hand on the tthottles as he/she would in real modern fighter aircraft.

Chock
Old 10-17-07, 02:44 PM   #4
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

I hope i'm posting this in the right spot as I feel I can get the best answer here.

Do you have to buy a MS flight game to build on and if yes which one and are all the rest add ons ?

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-07, 03:12 PM   #5
Chock
Sea Lord

To use the SF260, yes you would have to have a copy of Microsoft's Flight Simulator. If you've never had a copy of it, what you get is an installation that looks like this:

You can see that there are numerous folders which stuff gets added to, for example there is a folder called 'SimObjects', inside that folder, there are several folders, such as 'Rotorcraft' and 'Airplanes'. If you bought the SF260, it would be installed in that folder and when you fired up Flight simulator, it would appear as one of the aircraft you could select and fly.

As standard, Flight simulator includes almost every airport in the world, and scenery for it all too, but much of it is generic 'tiled' stuff (it looks reasonably convincing, but it's isn't exactly what you'd see looking out of the window of a real aircraft flying over that location), which is where photorealistic scenery comes in. You can see that there is an 'Add on scenery' folder, so purchased add-on photorealistic scenery goes in there, and would appear in the simulation when you fired it up. Most of this photo-realistic scenery is similar to what you see on Google Earth.

Some screenshots: The Harrier is a freeware add-on aircraft flying over the default FSX terrain for the Grand Canyon. The ATR-72 Airliner is a payware add-on aircraft. The B-17 is a payware aircraft over the default FSX terrain for Seattle. The DC-3 is a repaint (by me) of the default FS9 DC-3 over photo-realistic terrain of the UK. The cockpit shot is from the B-17 that was over Seattle (and yes, all the switches do work in the cockpit!).

So, you are correct, Flight simulator is a 'base package' which you build on by adding stuff you like. Lots of add-on stuff is freely available, but the really well done stuff (such as the SF260) is payware.

Although the current version of Flight simulator is FSX (i.e. version 10), many people are still using FS9 (also known as FS2004: A Century of Flight). This is because FSX is very graphics intensive, and as a result frame rates aren't that great on mediocre systems with all the graphics whistles and bells turned up. So if you wanted to get into it, FS9 might be a better choice (certainly cheaper if you are just 'dipping your toe into the water'). The other thing to consider is that there are far more add-ons available for FS9 than for FSX (although many work in both versions).

Chock

Last edited by Chock; 10-17-07 at 03:32 PM.
Chock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-07, 04:39 PM   #6
Skybird
Soaring

Another point about FS9 that Chock only mentioned on the surface is - money. with the release of FSX, many people were quick to buy it before looking (means I know some who chnaged back to FS9), or stay with FSX, and thus wanting to get rid of their old FS9 and all addons that were unlikely to get compatability patches, but would see complete new developements for FSX. That way you can save a LOT of money when buiynd it second hand. I did like that, and for all the planes and airport sceneries as well as some basic stuff I estimated to have payed around 50-60% less, than if buying it new.

also take into account that even if you have a system that runs FSX out of the box with satisfying frames - if you use scenery addons and complex aircraft, all these things pick away at your frames, some more, some less. And that way you easily could touch the critical frame range again - and faster than you may have imagined.

Microsoft delivers FS as a game, but the fantastic thing about it is that it is modular from A to Z: everything can be changed, replaced, supplemented. From the functions and siplaying of weather and traffic, over flight physics files, cockpit envrionemnts and aircraft models, to environmental appearance. That way you can turn a game into a pretty good simulator.

There are some classic addons on aircraft and non-aircraft
stuff, that also currently get transported from FS9 to FSX for the most - if you are interested, tell us where your interests lay, and we likely have some answers and recommendations.

Beside Flight 1, as Chock mentioned, Aerosoft is the leading developer and publisher of addons, if you visit there site, you can see plenty of screenshots for certain products, sometimes even full sized videos, that may give you an impression:

http://www.aerosoft.com/cgi-local/re/iboshop.cgi?show270
Old 10-17-07, 04:45 PM   #7
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobalExplorer
It would be nice if you wrote what product you are referring to, so everyone can decide if its interesting for them or not
That's my mean evil character, wanting to trap you and make you being surprised by just wathcing the video - which looks lovely, I think, no matter what plane it is.

Avsim has several in depth reviews of the various incarnations of the SF260. they too are full of praise for it.
Old 10-17-07, 07:43 PM   #8
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Thany you Chock and Skybird

You both gave me great info with alot of detail. I will be able to make a wise decision now.

I probably go with FS9 and get some addons.

I have IL2 1946 and Janes WWII Fighters. Also play Aces High III once in a while.

I guess I just want something new I can expand on.

I guess ebay is the place to go. If it's okay I'll check back with both of you before I make a purchase so I don't get the wrong stuff.

Thx again Guys Firewall

Old 10-17-07, 09:49 PM   #9
Chock
Sea Lord

Hang on to your wallet! here's a bunch of useful FS add on stuff websites:

www.avsim.com (lots of free stuff in the file library, and home of many useful forums plus my reviews and a few things by me in the file library too! Before you buy anything at all, see if there is a review of it on here and check the forums here for any negative comments on potential purchases. Avsim is THE biggest flight simulator website and if there isn't info on something here, then it's probably not out there. It does have a small online shop, but the shop is pretty limited in scope.)

www.flight1.com (lots of add-ons, generally airliners and private planes, mostly compatible with FS9 and FSX. This company also makes simulation software for real-world pilot training, so as you can imagine, their FS stuff is usually pretty astonishing, check out their Beech King Air B200 if you want total realism, if you are looking for something less taxing but still realistic, check out their Cessna 441 Conquest II [you can find a review of this, by me, on avsim's site])

www.precisionmanuals.com (home of the legendary PMDG Boeing 747 and 737 among others, soon to be home to a fully-featured Airbus too. If you can fly one of these, you could probably get the real thing off the ground too. Their support is appallingly bad for download stuff, so avoid buying downloads from them if you anticipate problems and go for the boxed stuff instead, as authorising their online purchases is a right pain in the ass.)

www.alphasim.co.uk (home to lots of inexpensive add-on classic military aircraft. Not big on interactive cockpits, i.e. if you want every switch to work, these often don't feature that, but they are very cheap and great fun)

www.shockwaveproductions.com (home to obsessively detailed WW2 add-on aircraft such as the B17, Mustang, Spitfire and bf109, P40 Warhawk [which yours truly is currently reviewing for Avsim]. If you want every switch working in the cockpit, these are for you)

www.justflight.com (home to add-ons of all kinds, from helicopters, fighters, bombers, Cessnas etc etc to scenery, plus many utilities to make flying more fun, there's lots of FS9 stuff here, and they often have sales on Thursdays if you buy online, so you can save even more cash! Their support isn't as good as other places [not appalling, but not as good as others])

www.flightsim.com (Rival to avsim which claims to be the world's number one flight sim website [it isn't, however it's probably better for news announcements than avsim] and also home to lots of free stuff, however, access to their file library is not as good as avsim's and isn't laid out very well, still well worth a look.)

www.simmarket.com (good place to browse products, they sell allsorts here, everything from books on how to fly an airliner properly to add on utilities. Well worth a look)

www.flyawaysimulation.com (another online shop worth a look at)

www.aeroplaneheaven.com (another online shop, but with the odd freebie add-on aircraft available for download, worth checking out)

www.fsdownload.com (another freeboie download site)

www.abacuspub.com (This site may look terrible, but it has some nice stuff for FS on it and is also home to FS Design Studio, so if you fancy designing your own aeroplanes and you can't be bothered learning GMax or 3DSMax, then this is worth a look.)

www.saitek.com (the good old joystick manufacturer is currently going into overdrive where flight simulator add-ons are concerned, with lots of interesting products in the pipeline, such as throttle quadrants, etc)

Chock

Last edited by Chock; 10-18-07 at 08:45 AM.
Old 10-17-07, 11:53 PM   #10
AFRIKAKORPS
Helmsman

Hey Chock, how is the P-40? It looks amazing.
Do you think you could give me your thoughts on it?
AFRIKAKORPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-07, 12:49 AM   #11
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Thx again. I'm going to start with FS9 and later go from there with addons.

So far all I've found is FSX but I just need to look a little harder. If I find it used is it supposed to come with a manuel or any extras ?

Will wait for answers to that before I buy. And thx for the links.

Old 10-18-07, 01:13 AM   #12
Chock
Sea Lord

Quote:
Hey Chock, how is the P-40? It looks amazing.
Do you think you could give me your thoughts on it?
I only took it for a quick fly around when it arrived, because I'm waiting for the official pilot's manual of the thing to arrive (which I re-ordered the other day, after having ordered it from somewhere else and them waiting two weeks to tell me it was out of stock - mmm thanks for that). It does come with some excerpts from the real manual (as do all Shockwave's aircraft as far as I'm aware), but I wanted to check it all for authenticity so that I could give it a fair review. Nevertheless, my initial impression was that it flew very well and I couldn't resist buzzing the tower a few times in it, it's that kind of fun aircraft. It's certainly very well done as far as looks and sounds go, with an animated pilot based on the owner of the real aircraft which was used for the reference and sounds etc, stuff like the engine getting louder if you slide the canopy open - that kind of attention to detail. So I think Shockwave may have outdone even themselves on this one, but I cannot say for sure how accurately it flies in comparison to the real thing until I get hold of that manual. It's much easier to fly than their bf109, that's for sure, and it does drop like a rock if you let the speed get too slack on approach, which I know the real thing also did. So, initial impressions are pretty good. This all bodes well for Shockwave's forthcoming Flying Tigers flight simulator of course, which sounds like it could be fun.

Quote:
So far all I've found is FSX but I just need to look a little harder. If I find it used is it supposed to come with a manual or any extras ?
You can find FS9 (i.e. Flight Simulator 2004: A Century of Flight) on sell-through at most computer shops (or at least you could last time I looked). It does come with a small paper manual, but like most recent versions of Flight Simulator, there is a massively comprehensive manual built into the software not unlike the sort of help stuff you get with DTP applications. It has a search facility and index and can teach you pretty much everything you want to know about flying an aeroplane, and all recent versions of Flight Simulator come with tutorial flights where you are accompanied by a virtual instructor, so it's easy to figure it all out even if you don't know one end of an aeroplane from the other! so even if the paper manual was missing, it would not be a really big deal.

One big difference between FS9 and FSX however, is that FSX has much more capabilities where adventures and missions are concerned, and this means that FSX does offer more potential for learning stuff to do with real aviation. Developers are starting to catch on to this, for example, two people can be in the same aircraft online in FSX, and you can run a server as an air traffic controller - stuff like that. Also note that there are actually two versions of FSX - a standard one and a DeLuxe version, the fancy version has more default planes a few more detailed airports around the world and it includes some developer tools to allow you to customise it and create missions, so if you think you might want to get into that, make sure you get the DeLuxe version if it's FSX you go for. There's only one version of FS9 as far as I'm aware, so it's not a problem if you go for that. With regard to extras, I'm fairly certain that FS9 comes with GMax on one of the disks (the 3D design package), so you can build your own aeroplanes and scenery, that has built in tutorials too. Even so, I think GMax can be downloaded for free anyway, so it's not exactly a major freebie!

Chock

Last edited by Chock; 10-18-07 at 01:24 AM.
Old 10-18-07, 04:31 AM   #13
Skybird
Soaring

FS9 related recommended addons:

To vastly increase the displaying of weather and water surfaces:
Flight Environment

To massively raise the precision of ground related textures like railroads and highways, layout of forests, cities, villages, and to make these kind of things more representative for what you would find when using a map:
Ultimate Terrain (Canada/Alaska, USA, Europe). It also adds dramatic improvements to night lights of cities.

To replace the default textures:
Ground Enviornment (there are alternatives, but I like this one best). There are also freeware sceneries for example for Australia. Search-Button! I had a thread on it).

Gloval Mesh replacement:
Pilot's FS Global 200x

A flight planning software. I personally use FlightSim commander, but there are several others as well. A question of taste, handling and features.

Huge airliner modules:
Level-D: Boeing 767
PMDG: Boeing 747
http://www.aerosoft2.de/videos/PMDG747-w.wmv
These two rule the pack and are way above the competition. They are very complex, they also are technically extremely stable and bug-free.

Medium-sized airliners/commuters:
Flight 1 ATR 72 (ask Chock, I am still working myself into it, he knows it much better than I do).

Smaller aircrafts:
Piper cheyenne by Aerosoft (a true benchmark in this segment, I love it)
http://www.aerosoft2.de/videos/Cheyenne-w.wmv
Realair SF 260
(video see at top of this thread, it is FSX version)

Classics: There are many oldtimers available, some even are free. I personally use the DC-3 by Roy Chaffin and the Spitfire by Realair. there are three of for competing packages for the Spitfire though. But I would say the Realair is a good bet.

Addons:
You can find so very many regional sceneries, nation-wide sceneries, airport sceneries, that it does not make much sense to even try to list them. Much has gone commercial, but you still can find good free stuff.

Maybe we should have a sticky thread where each posting represents one item and where links to hompage, pictures, reviews, videos are given. Later posters wanting to add info to the product in that given single posting may contact the author of that posting to keep additional information that arrives later close to that product, and not scattered around various postings. the mod also can reserve the right to copy later info into a previous posting. Headlines in BOLD should identify the product in the given posting.

Hunter, let me know, and I'm willing to start it with a couple of postings.