Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 12-16-12, 06:03 AM   #1
reignofdeath
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default FSX Questions

So I just got my new Asus G55VW with a 660M 2GB Graphics card and 16GB of RAM and Im having pretty low FPS on medium high to high Graphics. Is this normal?
Old 12-16-12, 06:40 AM   #2
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76
Uploads: 0

What do you call low FPS - my desktop can run 20 fps with little discernible difference between that and 40 fps.

Check the settings, you can select a preferred rate, slide it up.

Also check your Nvidia CP settings for FSX.
Old 12-16-12, 06:59 AM   #3
reignofdeath
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr-Berbunch View Post
What do you call low FPS - my desktop can run 20 fps with little discernible difference between that and 40 fps.

Check the settings, you can select a preferred rate, slide it up.

Also check your Nvidia CP settings for FSX.
how do I check the settings specifically for FSX?
Old 12-16-12, 07:00 AM   #4
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Setting up FSX is not a job of just installing, and there you are. Some things are recommended to be tweaked in the config as well, and some recommended settings are unwise to be ignored. Also, an external frame limiter should be used.

So let me ask first: how deep have you dug into FSX? Are you experienced with setting it up, or did you just install it and now are wondering?

Frames also can vary a lot based on scenery. If you use highly detailed addon airports, don'T be surprised if ypour frames when taxiing go down to 15 or even 11, while having them above 30 when flying.

I use supercomplex addon aircraft and plenty of airport sceneries at maximum detail, also weather replacmeent software and clouds maxed out. I can talk you through things you should do, but I need to know where you stand right now.

There should also be setup guides on the web. For starters, check an automatic config tweaker site run by Bojote, google for "venetubo bojote". Follow their advice. Also google for how to limit frames in FSX by an external software. It sounds paradox and counter-productive, but in fact gives you better performance. Do not limit frames from within FSX, that acchieves quite more stress on the system where yoiu wanted to avoid right that. Also, for a start set all traffic - ALL traffic - to zero. If that is good, check what you get when pushing the sliders for airliner traffic and after that general aviation to for example 20 or 30. Reduce cloud distance to 80. Traffic and clouds are known frame hogs.

And name your CPU and OS. FSX depends more on CPU than GFX.

In the nVidia driver you should make sure that you set up FSX leaving control of AA and AF to FSX internal settings, so that you can switch it within the FSX menu. Having a conflict between nVidia's setting and FSX setting can cause trouble.
Old 12-16-12, 07:27 AM   #5
reignofdeath
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Setting up FSX is not a job of just installing, and there you are. Some things are recommended to be tweaked in the config as well, and some recommended settings are unwise to be ignored. Also, an external frame limiter should be used.

So let me ask first: how deep have you dug into FSX? Are you experienced with setting it up, or did you just install it and now are wondering?

Frames also can vary a lot based on scenery. If you use highly detailed addon airports, don'T be surprised if ypour frames when taxiing go down to 15 or even 11, while having them above 30 when flying.

I use supercomplex addon aircraft and plenty of airport sceneries at maximum detail, also weather replacmeent software and clouds maxed out. I can talk you through things you should do, but I need to know where you stand right now.

There should also be setup guides on the web. For starters, check an automatic config tweaker site run by Bojote, google for "venetubo bojote". Follow their advice. Also google for how to limit frames in FSX by an external software. It sounds paradox and counter-productive, but in fact gives you better performance. Do not limit frames from within FSX, that acchieves quite more stress on the system where yoiu wanted to avoid right that. Also, for a start set all traffic - ALL traffic - to zero. If that is good, check what you get when pushing the sliders for airliner traffic and after that general aviation to for example 20 or 30. Reduce cloud distance to 80. Traffic and clouds are known frame hogs.

And name your CPU and OS. FSX depends more on CPU than GFX.

In the nVidia driver you should make sure that you set up FSX leaving control of AA and AF to FSX internal settings, so that you can switch it within the FSX menu. Having a conflict between nVidia's setting and FSX setting can cause trouble.
Ive had FSX before, but never really tweaked settings, I had a worse computer so I kept the settings low.

Exact specs are the ASUS G55VW-ES71 with 16GB RAM, CPU is a i7 quad core 2.3 Ghz 3610QM I believe.

I will turn down traffic and Clouds a bit first, Im not noticing tooo horribly on the FPS but I do have textures up and the planes still look nasty. Is it possible that the Clouds and traffic (Which were at 100/50 respectively) are causing that problem?

I will tweak and peak and be back to let you know.

EDIT: Im currently unable to open up FSX because I am installing another game atm, however I did check the nVidia control panel and AA and AF ARE application controlled, what would I want to set them to in FSX? AA smooths edges right? and AF does what?
Old 12-16-12, 07:35 AM   #6
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

To display info such as in-game FPS press Shift+A twice.

Also displays things like mag heading and airspeed - handy for external views.
Old 12-16-12, 07:57 AM   #7
reignofdeath
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr-Berbunch View Post
To display info such as in-game FPS press Shift+A twice.

Also displays things like mag heading and airspeed - handy for external views.
This refuses to work for me lol
]
Old 12-16-12, 07:58 AM   #8
Skybird
Soaring

I assume your Windows is 64 Bit, else you cannot make use of all your RAM and would be limited to some 3.7 GB.

Okay, here is what I recommend to do.

Start with a clean install.

Run the Venetubo config tweaker (LINK). It lets you download a tweaked config once you entered the data, you repalce the default config with this one. The config is hidden at C:\Documents and Settings\Application Data\(Your Windows User Name)\Microsoft\FSX. Or type in fsx.cfg in the searchg box. You need to set show hidden folders to on.

You install an external frame limiter and fix frames to 30. You starts FSX from here only. Important: you then must set FSX internal frame limiter to "unlimited".

You check that nVidia driver is set to have FSX controll the settings of Anti-Alias and Ansitropic Filtering.

You hardware is faster than mine, and so you should be able tpo achieve better results than I do. And I can acchieve vry good results already with more complex software setups than just a default FSX.

Then try to work with the settings below. These are what I am using. I fly the PNDG737NGX, use Aerosoft airport sceneries, use ASE and REX2, TrackIR, pedals, Throttle and Stick.

Traffic is a major frame hog. Especially the generic ground traffic costs much, but makes no difference for you if you fly airliners. Start with having all traffic at zero. (I have airport traffic at zero, too, only because I exclusively fly from addon airports whose own traffic could conflict with the default generic airport traffic by FSX. If you do not have addon airports, you can use airport traffic, and can also experiment with reducing the ground scenery settings if needed - but you should not need to do that with your rig).

Oh, before I forget: cancel DX10, if you have activated it. FSX never was optimized for that, it slows down many systems, and produces graphical artifacts. Sorry, that'S how it is. FSX is no DX10 prorgram.

Last edited by Skybird; 12-16-12 at 08:13 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-12, 08:00 AM   #9
Skybird
Soaring

Old 12-16-12, 08:02 AM   #10
Skybird
Soaring

Old 12-16-12, 08:07 AM   #11
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNSRCaseySmith View Post
This refuses to work for me lol
]
That is either Shi-Z or CTRL-Z for me by default, if I am not mistaken. Since Y and Z are exchanged on German and American Keyboards, try the same with the Y letter if Z does not work.

Else check FSX internal table with keyboard commands, to be found under options/settings somewhere. Every command should be listed there.
Old 12-16-12, 08:09 AM   #12
reignofdeath
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Okay im going to copy your settings exactly. Ill update in a second
Old 12-16-12, 08:18 AM   #13
Skybird
Soaring

I must leave for now and will be unavailable for the rest of the afternoon. But I check back later in the evening or night. Good luck.

P.S. Make sure you do not have some exotic software running that in any way hinders texture swapping or could decrease that process in speed. Having the HD in good condition could help, too (properly defragmentized).

Oh, and they recommend to not install FSX in the default place. Try another partition, at least a different folder on C. than the default program or program(x86) folder. I for example use E:\FlightSim\and-then-more. - This advise is often given with installing any software in general under W7. I forgot the specific technical reason, but it was something serious.

P.S. I have 8 GB. But even at maximum performance my installation hardly ever uses more than one half of that - with all my addon stuff and 737NGX. I assume you do video editing? It's the only reason I could imagine why one wants to have 16 GB.
Old 12-16-12, 08:33 AM   #14
reignofdeath
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

[QUOTE=Skybird;1976514]I must leave for now and will be unavailable for the rest of the afternoon. But I check back later in the evening or night. Good luck.

P.S. Make sure you do not have some exotic software running that in any way hinders texture swapping or could decrease that process in speed. Having the HD in good condition could help, too (properly defragmentized).

Oh, and they recommend to not install FSX in the default place. Try another partition, at least a different folder on C. than the default program or program(x86) folder. I for example use E:\FlightSim\and-then-more. - This advise is often given with installing any software in general under W7. I forgot the specific technical reason, but it was something serious.

P.S. I have 8 GB. But even at maximum performance my installation hardly ever uses more than one half of that - with all my addon stuff and 737NGX. I assume you do video editing? It's the only reason I could imagine why one wants to have 16 GB.[QUOTE/]

Actually, I already have a partition, my D drive and it is on there.

As far as the 16GB I got the extra 8GB because it was cheap (30$ at the time for corsair ddr3 1600mhz) and I was hoping it would help with Auto CAD (which I need for my job). I will tweak my settings and let you know how it turns out!
Old 12-16-12, 08:56 AM   #15
reignofdeath
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Ok so just set it up and got my FPS, sitting still at IND airport I got 25-30fps, when I started moving I was in constantly the 15-17 range

EDIT:

Tried it at LAX, had some major FPS drops, I lowered AI Aircraft and the level of generated trees and buildings. as well.

Next up is learning to actually fly lol Anyone care to tutor me over multiplayer? I have a mic.

Last edited by reignofdeath; 12-16-12 at 09:26 AM.