SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-11-09, 06:46 AM   #181
irish1958
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 320
Uploads: 11

[quote=J

Anyway, didn't a few others take over the controls for an SH4Cmdr (or equivalent)?[/quote]

Yes, and they dropped the ball shortly after Kickoff.
"FUMBLE"
Old 05-11-09, 09:19 AM   #182
Graf Paper
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 41
Uploads: 2

Yep. Every attempt has thus far died almost as soon as they were begun.

I know SH4 is like the neglected step-child around here but there are many fans of the game, despite its flaws. A good Commander utility would do much to overcome those shortcomings. I'm a die-hard SH3 fan but having recently purchased SH4 has given me a greater appreciation for the plight of the fleet boat skippers.

Besides that, does anyone else here agree that someone working on such a utility besides Jaesen just feels wrong?

It wouldn't be quite the same without your masterful touch, good sir!

Ah, well. I respect your feelings in the matter, nonetheless, Jaesen.
Old 05-11-09, 01:35 PM   #183
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarJak View Post
Yeah forgetting the I in Nympig is a common error.
SILENCE! I KEEL YOU!

Go back in your cave, DownUnder!:rotfl:

@ the 'other' DownUnder: Keep your 'ho's and 'g's to yourself. I don't want to know.

On a serious note, I'm sorry you feel that way about SH4. I'm actually starting to appreciate its improvements over SH3. It could use your touch.
Old 05-11-09, 08:36 PM   #184
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JScones View Post
What is this "SH4" of which you speak?
That one made me
Old 05-14-09, 09:53 AM   #185
Nerazzurri
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 44
Uploads: 0

Despite reading the PDF with SH3Comm I'm confused about the way 'realistic career length' and 'crew transfers' work. The PDF says it's calculated when a new career is started, which makes sense. But I don't get the 'in mid-patrol' and 'tinkering between patrols' relevance.

Can someone 'draw me a picture' for my mental blank on this - I'm sure it's dead easy and I'm being thick

EDIT: to try and explain a bit better, does the 'tinkering' bit mean that your selections can change if you start SH3Comm and don't start-up the game? Or once you've selected your settings these won't ever change until you start a new career??

Last edited by Nerazzurri; 05-14-09 at 10:03 AM.
Nerazzurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-09, 01:08 PM   #186
irish1958
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 320
Uploads: 11

When CMDR starts, no files are loaded into SH3 until the check is selected, at which time it will you that the files are being loaded into SH3. CMDR will (if checked) randomly assign a varying length of time between patrols, and at the start of a patrol will (if checked) randomly transfer a crew member to another assignment and replace him with (usually) with an inexperienced man. No changes are made during a patrol to these files.
If you change many (but not all) settings or files during a patrol, the saved game may not load or CTD.
Old 05-14-09, 01:12 PM   #187
Nerazzurri
Sonar Guy

Thank you Irish, I think I've got that.

That makes sense with days between patrols and changing the crew roster. I would just have thought the length of your career would've been calculated at the start, rather than every patrol.

Thanks again mate.
Old 05-15-09, 02:44 AM   #188
JScones
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerazzurri View Post
Despite reading the PDF with SH3Comm I'm confused about the way 'realistic career length' and 'crew transfers' work. The PDF says it's calculated when a new career is started, which makes sense. But I don't get the 'in mid-patrol' and 'tinkering between patrols' relevance.
Erm, re the bold text, you may like to read the User Guide again; it does not state this at all. It states that "randomisation occurs every time you launch a career using SH3 Commander, but not when your career is mid-patrol.".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerazzurri View Post
That makes sense with days between patrols and changing the crew roster. I would just have thought the length of your career would've been calculated at the start, rather than every patrol.
The User Guide explains how the feature works; it mentions that it is, at least in part, based on the number of days spent at sea. SH3Cmdr is good, IMHO bloody good, but not that good to know up front how many days you will be spending at sea during each patrol of your new career. Hence why it calculates it between each patrol.

Now, SH3Cmdr assumes--because it has no way of knowing otherwise--that if you use it to launch SH3 that you want to play a patrol (kinda pointless otherwise). Thus it performs the retirement calculation when the "Launch SH3!" button is pressed (but again, for obvious reasons, not if you are mid-patrol). It performs the calculation based on the patrol that you are on, and the number of days that you've spent at sea so far. If the result falls within a pre-determined range AND the associated number equals the random number generated by SH3Cmdr, you are retired. This is obviously not something you want to occur if you only plan on loading your career to look at the pretty screens, manually replace crew, or whatnot, hence the "tinkering" statement.

Last edited by JScones; 05-15-09 at 03:06 AM.
JScones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-09, 03:22 AM   #189
JScones
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graf Paper View Post
Yep. Every attempt has thus far died almost as soon as they were begun.

I know SH4 is like the neglected step-child around here but there are many fans of the game, despite its flaws. A good Commander utility would do much to overcome those shortcomings. I'm a die-hard SH3 fan but having recently purchased SH4 has given me a greater appreciation for the plight of the fleet boat skippers.

Besides that, does anyone else here agree that someone working on such a utility besides Jaesen just feels wrong?

It wouldn't be quite the same without your masterful touch, good sir!

Ah, well. I respect your feelings in the matter, nonetheless, Jaesen.
Actually, the game may well be good now - I dunno. And you wanna know why?

Ubisoft offered me a free copy of the U-boat add-on when it first came out. Eventually--about six months later--they sent me a copy, with some childish "goodies" customs declaration. This ensured a speedy "return to sender" from DHL Sydney who like to know what they are delivering.

Despite UbiSoft's assurances that a new copy would be sent, none ever was.

I decided right then that I would not buy the add-on and I would certainly not be supporting, and in essence promoting, SH4 when they couldn't even get a package delivered right. In addition, their PR Community Manager, or whatever he's called, couldn't even be bothered to respond to ANY of my emails.

Thus you can blame Ubisoft's incompetence SQUARELY for me not taking any interest in SH4. Not that I've ever felt disadvantaged by my stance - I have SH3 with SH3Cmdr, so I'm very happy.

Anyway, thanks for your kind words GP, but I'll be the first to say that there are any one of at least three people here that could easily make an "SH4Cmdr" equivalent, if only they had time...which I'm guessing is the real reason for it never appearing; as developing something like SH3Cmdr, when you have a full time job and family, can be quite a challenge.
JScones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-09, 03:41 AM   #190
Nerazzurri
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JScones View Post
Erm, re the bold text, you may like to read the User Guide again; it does not state this at all. It states that "randomisation occurs every time you launch a career using SH3 Commander, but not when your career is mid-patrol."
Yes, I'm aware of that now. I misunderstood/misread the text; where it says 'launch', at the time, I interpreted that as 'start' - hence why I wasn't grasping something simple

Quote:
Now, SH3Cmdr assumes--because it has no way of knowing otherwise--that if you use it to launch SH3 that you want to play a patrol (kinda pointless otherwise). Thus it performs the retirement calculation when the "Launch SH3!" button is pressed (but again, for obvious reasons, not if you are mid-patrol). It performs the calculation based on the patrol that you are on, and the number of days that you've spent at sea so far. If the result falls within a pre-determined range AND the associated number equals the random number generated by SH3Cmdr, you are retired. This is obviously not something you want to occur if you only plan on loading your career to look at the pretty screens, manually replace crew, or whatnot, hence the "tinkering" statement.
Yep. Thanks mate.
Old 05-15-09, 10:54 PM   #191
OuNiS
Engineer

Downloads: 70

JScones great work and one suggestion.
Maybe you should change main window property 'Position' from 'poDesktopCenter' to 'poScreenCenter', because if someone use two monitors with DualView option, half of SH3Commander appear on one of screen.
Old 05-26-09, 12:50 PM   #192
urfisch
Sea Lord

Downloads: 42

hey jscones, you did very, very nice work for sh3. and i understand your position, regarding sh4...sh3 has come to a state, which other games never reach, or reached in the past. it is one of the best modded games i know.

you have taken a great part in it! there a question comes to me: what about your reward document addon?

urfisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-09, 03:20 PM   #193
budundi
Swabbie

Downloads: 570

Hi! I have a problem with SH3 Commander. In the Captain's log, I do not see the cargo, the crew and the sailors who survived. Why?
budundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-09, 06:32 AM   #194
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Have you updated your patrol log prior to viewing it?

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-09, 11:29 AM   #195
budundi
Swabbie

Downloads: 570

No! How shall I do not ?
budundi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sh3 commander