SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-20-14, 12:35 AM   #1
midnightrider1818
Soundman

Downloads: 300
Uploads: 0
Default just completed second patrol

just completed my second patrol. got one ore carrier, a freighter and troop ship. went through the English channel on the way out and on the way in but I think I am gonna start going around England. getting to dangerous to go through there. I started my career in aug of 39 and I think it is about oct of 39. How do you sailers usually get to the atlantic. do you go through the English channel or around. I also got one torpedo boat in the English channel. he came up on me fast and did some minor damage but nothing I couldn't repair. I also noticed that after the ships went down I seen no bodies floating. I thought with the grey wolves 3.0 mod it showed bodies. I haven't ran into no convoys yet and no merchants have shot back at me. I sure would love to run into a task force and get some nice tonnage. I was also wondering when will I be able to get get my butt to lorient and get a type ix and do all ships sail under blackout conditions once the war starts

Last edited by midnightrider1818; 10-20-14 at 01:19 AM.
midnightrider1818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-14, 07:26 AM   #2
RConch
Captain

Downloads: 503

To get to France you have to wait till late summer 1940 at least.
Old 10-20-14, 12:20 PM   #3
midnightrider1818
Soundman

Downloads: 300

Does anybody have a tutorial on how to use the charts in sh3. I mean if a ship is traveling at medium speed that is around 10 knots. so in sh3 I need to convert that to meters. Is that correct.
midnightrider1818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-14, 03:17 PM   #4
U-15
Soundman

Downloads: 18

Hello Midnight Rider,

Are we talking about the two pull-down charts in top left corner.

If we are, then chart 1 tells you the distance in kilometres against knots for periods in hours ranging from 1 hour to 10 hours.
e.g. 9 knots at 4 hours = 66.67 kilometres travelled

Chart 2 tells you the distance in metres against knots for periods in minutes ranging from 1 minute to 45 minutes
e.g. 9 knots at 15 minutes = 4.167 metres multiplied by 1,000 as indicated at the top of the time bars = 4,167 metres.
On chart 2 the quick workround is to read the figure in metres as km, so 4,167 metres becomes 4.167 km

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
U-15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-14, 03:26 PM   #5
WilhelmSchulz.
The Old Man

Downloads: 17

Well congrats! And you certentaly have more balls than I do. The Channel is normally a death trap. Lots of mines and DD`s. Normally (and historically) boats go around the top of the Orknary`s (Scapa Flow). And Merchants don't get deck guns until late 1940.

WilhelmSchulz. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-14, 08:55 AM   #6
Zosimus
XO

Downloads: 3

That's a big ditto for me. I never take the Channel route. First of all, there are usually a lot of solo ships north of England that you can shoot at. Second, the Channel is too shallow and dangerous for me.

I don't convert knots to meters. I use the method at http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...light=tutorial to intercept and sink ships.

There's a four-bearing method floating around too, but I only use that in bad weather by hydrophone.
Zosimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-14, 05:59 PM   #7
UKönig
Captain

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrider1818 View Post
Does anybody have a tutorial on how to use the charts in sh3. I mean if a ship is traveling at medium speed that is around 10 knots. so in sh3 I need to convert that to meters. Is that correct.
Multiply your speed in knots by 1.4 to get Kilometers per hour.
8 knots = 11.2 km/h or about the speed of a cyclist. I've ridden golf carts that go faster than a submerged u-boat...