SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop > DW Mission Designers' Forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-31-05, 02:01 AM   #1
Miika
A-ganger

Downloads: 21
Uploads: 0
Default FFG in-flight helos

As a new member to this forum I'm sure this topic has been discussed before, but I couldn't find it. So if anyone knows the answer, please help:

How can one make the FFG's helo to be controllable by the FFG player in the mission, if it is made airborne in the beginning? In the missions, once I switch the helo control to ship (and it responds "you have control"), it sometimes works as normal, but sometimes just continues in the original course no matter all the waypoints etc.

It just takes too much time to wait for the approx 1h for the helo to launch in the missions. :hmm:
Old 10-31-05, 02:13 AM   #2
OneShot
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 9

The Mission Designer needs to attach the Helo to your FFG. If that isnt the case then no control of the Helo as it isnt "yours".
OneShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-05, 02:56 AM   #3
Miika
A-ganger

Sorry, didn't explain clearly .

I am currently designing some more Future Fleet missions. And when I try to make the OHP's helo airborne in the beginning of the mission, this problem occurs. I have used "transit" as tactic for the helo, should I use something else? Has this something to do with mods?

Like I said, sometimes it works just fine, the helo corresponds to the waypoints, torpedoes etc. Another time, the same mission, and nothing happens.

I've solved this by making no player controlled FFG helos airborne in the beginning, but in some missions it would be nice to have the helos already in the air. Thanks for answering my question, anyway
Old 10-31-05, 06:44 AM   #4
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

I think you must be adding the helo independently. Make sure you add the helo from the FFG's screen, or maybe from a right click on the FFG on the map (I forget which). Look for something like "add inflight aircraft."

Your problem might also occur with an unpatched DW 1.0.
Molon Labe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-05, 07:23 AM   #5
Miika
A-ganger

I use the "add inflight aircraft", and the helo is in-flight as designed. I've used the mission designer quite a lot, and can't find any logigal reason for the helicopter not responding. Like I said, it works from time to time, even without changing any parameters. I have the newest DW patch, and the problem remains the same despite the LWAMI mod patch number. I figured it might have something to do with the helo's tactics (transit/transit search etc).

Can't remember if I have used this in any Future Fleet missions currently in Bill's site, but it seems that the majority of designers don't have this problem. (Should I perhaps make the helo a controllable platform? This may cause some problems in the solo missions that I make.)

I guess I'll just use the helo as intended, and if somebody other has the same problem during gameplay, remove the in-flight helo option. I'm currently in play-testing phase of 7 new FF missions, and in a couple of them it would be nice to have the helo already in the air.

Thanks for the answer, anyway.
Old 11-04-05, 03:02 PM   #6
SeaQueen
Naval Royalty

Downloads: 0

How far away is the inflight helo? If it's beyond a certain distance you won't get a link to the helo, so you can't control it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miika
I use the "add inflight aircraft", and the helo is in-flight as designed. I've used the mission designer quite a lot, and can't find any logigal reason for the helicopter not responding. Like I said, it works from time to time, even without changing any parameters. I have the newest DW patch, and the problem remains the same despite the LWAMI mod patch number. I figured it might have something to do with the helo's tactics (transit/transit search etc).

Can't remember if I have used this in any Future Fleet missions currently in Bill's site, but it seems that the majority of designers don't have this problem. (Should I perhaps make the helo a controllable platform? This may cause some problems in the solo missions that I make.)

I guess I'll just use the helo as intended, and if somebody other has the same problem during gameplay, remove the in-flight helo option. I'm currently in play-testing phase of 7 new FF missions, and in a couple of them it would be nice to have the helo already in the air.

Thanks for the answer, anyway.
SeaQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-05, 04:18 PM   #7
Miika
A-ganger

The helo is within 500 yards of the FFG. It seems that nobody else has this problem, so I guess it has something to do with the mods I have. :hmm:
Old 11-05-05, 04:22 PM   #8
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 2

What mods are you using?

BTW, there is nothing in the LWAMI Mod that would cause that... if it is a mod issue, then it could only be an interface mod, because that is an interface/game engine issue, not covered by the database or doctrines, which are the only things changed in the LWAMI mod.
Old 11-05-05, 04:37 PM   #9
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

Miika, I just did some testing, you have to make the Helo a controllable platform when you design the mission. If you do that, you can use the helo just fine from the FFG ASTAC interface.

You could do that and then put a message in the Helo brief that the mission isn't really designed to be played from the Helo. I think that's the best option, if you want to have an airborn helo but not have the mission designed to be played from the helo.
Old 11-06-05, 02:25 AM   #10
Miika
A-ganger

THANK YOU!

I knew there had to be a way.
Old 12-16-05, 08:12 AM   #11
soundken
Watch

also ..it sounds like you just want to have the helo ready to go at the start of the mission .... if you right click on the FFG icon and go down to flight schedual you can change its status to alert 5...15..30

does anyone know can SP or MP mis have a player controlled helo start on the deck at alert 5 or does it have to be airborn
soundken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-05, 03:13 PM   #12
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

If you start with a Helo airborn in a mission, you have to make it player controlled if you are in the FFG in order for the FFG to be able to control it via the ASTAC station.

In terms of the player helo being airborn, in order for it to be made a player helo, it must be airborn in the mission design, so not it is not possible to create the player helo on the flight deck of the FFG. However, you can have it start low on gas and needing to land and refuel. This can be tricky on the FFG, so maybe you can have a nice flattop around if you deside to do that.

So more crafty experienced mission designer can correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 12-16-05, 06:47 PM   #13
OneShot
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 9

Furia tried the trick with making it low on fuel and weapons for a player controlled Helo ... didn't work. I had the complete loadout I selected and complete fuel.
OneShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-06, 03:43 AM   #14
kage
Helmsman

You can assign damage to the fuel tanks for N seconds - which can, when N for 100% is found, be used to drain a certain percentage at the beginning of the mission.

http://www.xfire.com/clans/dwobjective/ for those who like playing objectives-based missions. (As opposed to deathmatches)
kage is offline   Reply With Quote