SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop > DW Mission Designers' Forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-28-06, 01:02 PM   #16
Bill Nichols
Master of Defense

Downloads: 125
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaQueen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nichols
It's up on my site now. I'm looking forward to hearing what others think about SeaQueen's mission.
Hi Bill!

"Executive Order 12938" is not mine. As much as I love getting credit for stuff, it's always best to only take it for things one does. :-)

Must be getting old meant to say "Kara Sea Strategic ASW"

sorry...
Old 02-28-06, 01:25 PM   #17
Kapitan
Sub Test Pilot

Downloads: 68
Uploads: 7

before seawolves i didnt care if i killed a nutrel (biological) but now i have to avoid them

but sounds like a good mission i would like to try it and see

Find out about Museum Ships here: https://www.museumships.us/

Flickr for all my pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131313936@N03/

Navy general board articles: https://www.navygeneralboard.com/author/aegis/
Kapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-06, 06:30 PM   #18
SeaQueen
Naval Royalty

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellman
I found the Typhoon after 10 hours game time strictly Truth off !! But.........................................she found me first.
The first time I played it and found the boomer, my torpedo whiffed and I got hit by the counterfire. I hate that.

Quote:
A close look at the map narrowed down the places a sneaky Boomer might hide -
(Or be hidden by an even sneekier scenario designer ) But a rerun will prove whether I was
just lucky - in finding a 'needle in a haystack ! (Lucky - I sat on the durned thang ! )
There's nothing fancy about where the submarine is. He's uniformly distributed anywhere in the SSBN OP AREA.

Quote:
BTW I did seriously miss my SW. :hmm:
Feel free to modify it if you want.

Quote:
Nice work SQ - yes I'm going to 'play it again Sam !' :|\
I'm glad you enjoyed it. I wanted to make a scenario where I felt good about the time scales and distances involved, as well as the environmental issues. I really don't like scenarios where the pace of things is totally wrong, and it's only hard because it really sticks you in the middle of things for which you're totally unprepared.
SeaQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-06, 03:19 AM   #19
Bellman
Sea Lord

Downloads: 220

No AAR to spoil anything but just some general feedback on my mistakes which might help other
players of this scenario.

A postmortem (sic) showed although I thought I had been taken out with a short range 'shotgun' I had missed
a silent passive she sent earlier at 9.6 nm, while undertaking a quick burst of short term gametime acceleration.

With a vast area to search, in this my first run, I calculated that maintaining speed at 5 knots I could
undertake alternate periods of normal and accelerated gametime. So five minutes accelerated = .25 nm appx.
Then scour NB for 5 mins. then accel. etc so on.(Safe eh !).......................
Wrong - missed that passive, missed the ghost tonal !! On rerunning from a nearby 'save point' -
At 9.6 nm the single tonal was ghostly and intermittent. The result of some very tricky SSP conditions.

So for my next run in the Kara Sea :-
Lesson 1. - Dont even think of partial gametime acceleration !!
Lesson 2. - Live in NB and constantly scan.
No shortcuts - constant vigilence is the price of success. Now over the timeframe thats quite a tall order,
so I propose watches of 2 hours to maintain peak (?) alertness.

Coffee only !!

Liberty, Equality, Fraternity
Bellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-06, 06:44 AM   #20
SeaQueen
Naval Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellman
No shortcuts - constant vigilence is the price of success. Now over the timeframe thats quite a tall order,
so I propose watches of 2 hours to maintain peak (?) alertness.

Coffee only !!
Yeah... I noticed that too. Most simulations have sensor issues related to time accelleration. There's various reasons for it. So, yeah... time accelleration is risky.

I've also noticed that operator attention can be a big factor in what your detection range is. In spite of the shallow water and marginal ice, I was able to get a faint PNB tonal at ~23 nm. I'm not sure how realistic that is. Something I'll have to look into I guess. I wonder if I used a more lossy bottom... huuuum...

If you were clever, you could almost put together a whole solution using just the occaisional sniff of a PNB tonal in the tens of Hz range.
Old 03-01-06, 12:08 PM   #21
Bellman
Sea Lord

Well ''what a difference a day makes !''

Second time around mounted in my SW I hit a surface duct and am working the TMA after two tonals
on a target starting at 37 nm and solidifying at 33 nm.

With every chance she will ghost-out and her partner lurking this is going to get a little interesting.

''Gone fishing........'' I owe that sucker !!

Old 03-01-06, 12:34 PM   #22
MaHuJa
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaQueen
There's nothing fancy about where the submarine is. He's uniformly distributed anywhere in the SSBN OP AREA.
Ahem... "distribution" implies there is more than one (and I don't think across games qualifies). That made me read it as equivalent to "in pieces, spread across the op area".

Teaching DW newbies how to climb the food chain.
MaHuJa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-06, 06:14 PM   #23
SeaQueen
Naval Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaHuJa
Ahem... "distribution" implies there is more than one (and I don't think across games qualifies). That made me read it as equivalent to "in pieces, spread across the op area".
Across games is fine by me. Each game is a random trial, and I assume that the random number generator that the game uses for random start boxes obeys the uniform distribution. That's what I mean when I say the red sub is uniformly distributed across the SSBN OP AREA.
Old 03-01-06, 06:14 PM   #24
SeaQueen
Naval Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaHuJa
Across games is fine by me. Each game is a random trial, and I assume that the random number generator that the game uses for random start boxes obeys the uniform distribution. That's what I mean when I say the red sub is uniformly distributed across the SSBN OP AREA.
Old 03-02-06, 09:50 AM   #25
Bellman
Sea Lord

SQ - rather than continue to post what in effect could be seen as a quasi- AAR, I have poted a follow up
in DW 'classification' about some extra powerful NB reception.