SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop > DW Mission Designers' Forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-15-05, 01:14 PM   #1
Amizaur
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Classical Harpoon scenarios for DW ?

Anyone though about it ? Probably most of us played Harpoon before (played it for years!) and remember those classical scenarios from GIUK, NACV, IOPG ? Some of them are too big, but at least some could be realised in DW I think. Anyone tried ?

I'm not experienced in scenario making at all, I'm trying now to make GIUK scenario Attack the Bastion - Assault on Soviet SSBNs. I wonder now if there is variable starting position possible in editor, other than random start box . Playables would be mainly 688I, of course possibly Kilos, Akulas and even Perry (as russian ship) but not very interesting I think.
Yes I know it would be specific and EXTREMELY long SP scenario, but also very cool I think at least for some old Harpoon lovers. Something like a whoole campaign not divided on missions but in one piece

So, anyone tried to convert some classical Harpoon scenarios for DW or though about it ? Anyone wants to try ? And anyone interested in such scenarios at all ??
Amizaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-05, 02:14 PM   #2
FERdeBOER
XO

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 1

Yes! I've thought on when I saw a post somewhere in the forum.
I went to Harpoon HQ page and were reading come mission reports. Unfortunately I don't have any Harpoon games, so I cannot explore it deeper.

But just the reading of the page gave me some interesting ideas... :hmm:

In fact, I tried to make one single mission based on harpoon ones, but I becames too complex and, on a second thought it resulted better to set "show truth" and enjoy the spectacle than being a submarine and lay for small secondary goals while there's a great big battle out there

But I think is a great resource, not just for "importing" missions, but for giving scenario ideas.

The worst part is that in DW are only a few countries (hoping DWX resolves that), and not with the whole ships on them, so is "limited" compared with harpoon.

Quote:
I'm not experienced in scenario making at all, I'm trying now to make GIUK scenario Attack the Bastion - Assault on Soviet SSBNs. I wonder now if there is variable starting position possible in editor, other than random start box .
Yes, you can use "dynamic locations". This option is on the "Add" menu.
Whith that you can set various places, select which plataforms are affected, and how many of them.

i.e: you can set 5 different places for 8 ships, but select min 2 max 6, so sometimes will appear 6 ships, other 2, other times 4... and on different locations.

If you need a more detailed explanation, just ask
Old 11-15-05, 04:29 PM   #3
Bellman
Sea Lord

Downloads: 220

Yep I have thought about it long and hard as a Harpooner with both Classic and 3.

But I have'nt mastered the complexities of the dreaded triggers and scripts yet to a point where ideas
can be translated into challenging DW scenarios. So for now I remain a hawk with feet stuck in the clay,
grounded and unable to soar. Unless someone is willing to collaborate with me.

Some general considerations remain the difficulty of achieving multi starting positions for entire groups
(as opposed to random parts) Again the need to condense H3 scenarios down both in time and space
raises problems in scaling for DW.

We shouldnt forget also that it will be incumbant upon any DW modder of Harpoon scenarios to seek,
where appropriate, the necessary permission/s from the Harpoon scenarios creator/s.

Liberty, Equality, Fraternity
Bellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-05, 07:57 PM   #4
MaHuJa
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 3

If you can create the objective for the triggermaking (i.e. what you want to happen and why) in english text, which is after all far more flexible, and send that and the mission files to me, I can take a shot at doing that part of the missions.

It's more the inspiration for mission "content" that's lacking for me, not the technical know-how.

Teaching DW newbies how to climb the food chain.
MaHuJa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-05, 11:21 PM   #5
SeaQueen
Naval Royalty

Default Re: Classical Harpoon scenarios for DW ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amizaur
Anyone though about it ? Probably most of us played Harpoon before (played it for years!) and remember those classical scenarios from GIUK, NACV, IOPG ? Some of them are too big, but at least some could be realised in DW I think. Anyone tried ?
I'm actually in the process of working on a scenario from two perspectives; Harpoon and DW. The two simulators really complement each other well, so it's fun to look at the same or similar situations.

The thing is, it's easy in Harpoon to simulate things which are too large scale to play in DW really well but you can also add detail in DW that you can't in Harpoon, so it's definitely something to continue playing with. Harpoon has a bigger database of platforms... there's pros and cons to both approaches. It's fun to look at it both ways.
SeaQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-05, 12:11 AM   #6
Herman
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 269
Uploads: 1046

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaQueen
I'm actually in the process of working on a scenario from two perspectives; Harpoon and DW. The two simulators really complement each other well, so it's fun to look at the same or similar situations.
How can you say that without giving us a few more details!?

So, what the scen about and the arena? HCG or H3?

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it
4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions
Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-05, 01:31 AM   #7
Bellman
Sea Lord

Downloads: 220

MaHuJa - Thanks for that , I will send a PM.

Liberty, Equality, Fraternity
Bellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-05, 11:56 PM   #8
SeaQueen
Naval Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman
How can you say that without giving us a few more details!?

So, what the scen about and the arena? HCG or H3?
It's just a gee-whiz scenario we used for a demonstration at work. It's fun because it's simple and there's lots of things you can play with. The basic case is it just an expeditionary strike group off the Horn of Africa smacking some bad guys ashore. You go through the process of locating them, and choosing an option to make your attack. It's fun and surprisingly hard.

We add and take things out all the time too, so it's fun for me to play with. I don't know if you guys will enjoy it at all. I frequently find that the kinds of things I think about bore the bejezzus out of people, even if they are fun to play with in simulations for me.

I'm currently working on the H3 version of it. The DW version is almost done.
Old 11-18-05, 03:14 AM   #9
Herman
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaQueen
We add and take things out all the time too, so it's fun for me to play with. I don't know if you guys will enjoy it at all. I frequently find that the kinds of things I think about bore the bejezzus out of people, even if they are fun to play with in simulations for me.

I'm currently working on the H3 version of it. The DW version is almost done.
Brilliant. In my book, there is no such thing as a bad scenario. If you care enough to expend the time and effort in building it, I'll give it a try and send you my thanks for the effort.

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Old 11-18-05, 07:29 AM   #10
SeaQueen
Naval Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman
Brilliant. In my book, there is no such thing as a bad scenario. If you care enough to expend the time and effort in building it, I'll give it a try and send you my thanks for the effort.
It's probably going to have to wait until the next version of DB2000, though. I'm designing it around a beta version that includes pirates and WBIEDs.
Old 11-18-05, 08:19 PM   #11
SKeeM
Sailor man

Downloads: 10

Im a big fan of H3 and still play it. Im also eagerly awaiting for the MP version. But i would rather see a recreation of the escape and evade from the attack on the back fire bases from the book Red Storm Rising. That would be intence. 688's on the run
SKeeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-05, 08:35 PM   #12
Herman
Ace of the Deep

That's a darned fine idea!

Got to put that on the list of scen ideas to implement.

Any chance you'd be interested in creating that scenario, yourself? Sounds like an excellent opportunity for a scenario.

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Old 11-18-05, 08:46 PM   #13
SKeeM
Sailor man

Downloads: 10

Sorry M8 But im not real swift with the editor yet. Im playing with it though. Id rather leave it to a pro
SKeeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-05, 08:25 PM   #14
Bill Nichols
Master of Defense

Downloads: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKeeM
Im a big fan of H3 and still play it. Im also eagerly awaiting for the MP version. But i would rather see a recreation of the escape and evade from the attack on the back fire bases from the book Red Storm Rising. That would be intence. 688's on the run
Wait for the Red Storm Rising campaign that I'm building for DW
Old 11-19-05, 11:09 PM   #15
FERdeBOER
XO

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nichols
Wait for the Red Storm Rising campaign that I'm building for DW
I believe I'm talking for everybody if I say: "all of us are waiting for your Red Storm Rising Campaign"