SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-28-14, 01:30 PM   #1
depthtok33l
Sparky

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 0
Silent Hunter 4 Has Stopped Working

I've been having this problem since last night.

So what happened was, I was in an S-class boat, off to Singapore to do some raiding but then a task force consisting of two Takao Heavy Cruisers appeared on my tail. They were heading on the same course as I am. So I planned my attack, waited for them then boom, managed to sink one.

So the one I sunk has completely turned up side down but still not floating, the other one zigzagging. While still underwater, other ship sinking and other zigzagging (really close to me) I saved my progress and quit the game because I had to do something real quick. When I got back to it a few minutes later, the dreaded 'Silent Hunter 4 Has Stopped Working' has appeared.

I have attempted a few things:
  • Restarting the computer
  • Large Address Aware
  • Loading a different save (which actually works) then re-loading the saved progress (it crashes immediately).
  • Lowering my graphics settings. This one actually worked so I was relieved, I saved it again but by this time it was getting late so after saving, I quit the game. Went to bed, tried loading it again and here I am making this post desperate for help.

Silent Hunter 4 + U-Boat Missions
Do have a few mods installed:
  • TMO
  • RSRDC
  • OTC
  • Traveller
  • ISE

I had encountered this problem before, I was somewhere in the Marshall Islands raiding a port same scenario, quit the game while underwater with burning ships around me but managed to fix it by using LAA.

No worries about my computer specs, it can run high-end games, max settings at frame rates > 60 fps. Latest drivers installed etc etc etc.
depthtok33l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-14, 02:50 PM   #2
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi depthtok

This is a SH problem not just with SH4 when you save games close to a sinking or close to an enemy.

It sounds like in your case you may now have a game corruption.

It is not advisable to load a previous save over a current save.

Delete the current save.

Your previous save now becomes your current save and hopefully should now load without problems.

Unless someone knows differently it was how you saved the game that was relevant to your game play that became the problem.

Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-14, 11:30 PM   #3
depthtok33l
Sparky

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBERBSTER View Post
Hi depthtok

This is a SH problem not just with SH4 when you save games close to a sinking or close to an enemy.

It sounds like in your case you may now have a game corruption.

It is not advisable to load a previous save over a current save.

Delete the current save.

Your previous save now becomes your current save and hopefully should now load without problems.

Unless someone knows differently it was how you saved the game that was relevant to your game play that became the problem.

Peter

90 Realism, 350K Ton Career
Old 01-06-15, 06:30 AM   #4
mikesn9
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 68

There was a (quite) earlier post on this that gave answers that helped me. I was getting similar crashes on loads.
The suggestions:

Do not save into a previous save.
Be on the surface.
Have no contacts near. (Although I have had success with one or two in radar range)

I've been doing 2 saves.. the second about an hour or two (game time) later. I haven't lost any juicy results since.
mikesn9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-15, 05:27 PM   #5
THEBERBSTER

Hi depthtok

Quote > the dreaded 'Silent Hunter 4 Has Stopped Working' has appeared.

If you cannot get the game to load I would suggest that you delete your last game save from the SH3 folder in your documents folder.

You need to try and avoid this type of situation as it is an accident waiting to happen.

Quote > quit the game while underwater with burning ships around me.

It is ok to make periodic game saves as Mike says, just do not do it submerged and no contacts close by then you should be ok.

Peter
Old 01-06-15, 07:24 PM   #6
depthtok33l
Sparky

Quote:
Hi depthtok

If you cannot get the game to load I would suggest that you delete your last game save from the SH3 folder in your documents folder.

You need to try and avoid this type of situation as it is an accident waiting to happen.

Quote > quit the game while underwater with burning ships around me.

It is ok to make periodic game saves as Mike says, just do not do it submerged and no contacts close by then you should be ok.

Peter
But what about overwriting your save. I hear that's not a good thing to do however in my other career, I've been overwriting it all this time and had no problems with it whatsoever.
Old 01-07-15, 05:09 AM   #7
THEBERBSTER

Hi depthtok

Maybe I misunderstood you?

I thought you were saying that your saved game would not load.

I do alternative saves using the one behind the current loaded save then this becomes the current save.

I do not use the resume but then exit to the main menu.

This works for me as I only do 1 save in a game session.

Peter
Old 01-07-15, 05:18 AM   #8
depthtok33l
Sparky

Quote:
Hi depthtok

Maybe I misunderstood you?

I thought you were saying that your saved game would not load.

I do alternative saves using the one behind the current loaded save then this becomes the current save.

I do not use the resume but then exit to the main menu.

This works for me as I only do 1 save in a game session.

Peter
Yep. Definitely confused there for a second.

Thanks, all sorted.
Old 01-07-15, 10:33 AM   #9
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210

I do the same thing berbster. It is rare I save more than once a session. There is an automatic file written when you leave port. That is your current file. There was also an automatic file written on your last entry into port.

If I save mid mission I save it to the ENTER port file which will be under the current LEAVING port file. Doing this will do two things. One it is creating the save to a known good file and will have less chance of corruption and two your saving it so that even if it does become corrupt you have only lost the current mission and can still leave port once again and start it all over.

By the way when posting a mod list you should use JSGME to create the list because it will show the files your using not just what ever might be typed out by the user. There are multiple versions of some mods and you get more exacting help if the true files and versions are know sooner.

Open JSGME>TASK>EXPORT ACTIVATED MOD LIST TO>CLIPBOARD

Then right click in the message field in the forum and click paste.

According to the way you posted your mods at minimum your missing two patches one for TMO and one for RSRD. Plus we do not know which version of either of them you are using.

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157

1_TriggerMaru_Overhaul_2-5
1_TMO_25_small_patch
RSRDC_TMO_V502
RSRDC_V5xx_Patch1
Improved Ship Physics 2.6_TMO_RSRDC
TMO_Visuals_for_RSRDC
Fixed_CD_sonar_RSRDC
Classe_Balao_CamoTri
Pacific Sound Mod
Nav Map Make-Over v2.1
NMMO Airbase Add-on
NMMO v2.1 Patch 1 with AB
NMMO Maps Add-on
NMMO Pre Pearl Harbor Career Start Add-on
NMMO Reverse Ocean Colors Add-on
Less Plankton 1.2

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-15, 01:58 PM   #10
depthtok33l
Sparky

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc4ulfate View Post
I do the same thing berbster. It is rare I save more than once a session. There is an automatic file written when you leave port. That is your current file. There was also an automatic file written on your last entry into port.

If I save mid mission I save it to the ENTER port file which will be under the current LEAVING port file. Doing this will do two things. One it is creating the save to a known good file and will have less chance of corruption and two your saving it so that even if it does become corrupt you have only lost the current mission and can still leave port once again and start it all over.

By the way when posting a mod list you should use JSGME to create the list because it will show the files your using not just what ever might be typed out by the user. There are multiple versions of some mods and you get more exacting help if the true files and versions are know sooner.

Open JSGME>TASK>EXPORT ACTIVATED MOD LIST TO>CLIPBOARD

Then right click in the message field in the forum and click paste.

According to the way you posted your mods at minimum your missing two patches one for TMO and one for RSRD. Plus we do not know which version of either of them you are using.
Will do. Thanks for the tip. Didn't know that.

Tags
sh4, sh4.exe application error