SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-20-17, 10:45 PM   #1
Black_Hawk70
Swabbie

Downloads: 95
Uploads: 0
Default SH4 Crashing

Hi guys,
I'm having an issue and was hoping someone could help me out. Game has been playing fine (up until tonight). I decided to port raid Truk Lagoon and began sneaking down the channel into the harbor. I saved the game just before doing so, just in case... Everything is going good. Sonar has only one moving warship contact, with radar showing a dozen or more (I'm on the surface at night). I start to move towards the radar contacts, when all of a sudden... My game crashes to desktop and I get the popup saying SH4 has stopped working. No worries, I have had this before (which is why I saved the game before transiting the channel). I have attempted to restart the game several times, but it keeps crashing back to desktop immediately after loading. Any ideas? My mods are as follows:

Trigger Maru Overhaul 2.5
TMO 2.5 Small Patch
RSRDC_TMO v502
RSRDC v5xx Patch 1
1.5 OTC 031312 for RSRDC
1.5 OTC 16:9 Aspect Ratio RSRDCv502
1.5 OTC Radar from start for RSRDCv502
Improved Stock Enviroment v3
TMO Smoke Mod
Webster's New Desk Photo
Easier AI for TMO 2.5 (I'm still a newbie)
Convoy Routes TMO+RSRD
Sub Class Info TMO
Rescue Sub v1.0
410 Rockin Robbins EZ Plot v2.0

Any help would be appreciated
Black_Hawk70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-17, 11:46 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

I have no "proof", but it might be that Truk is as much of a mess in TMO 2.5 as it was in FotRSU. The only "safe" way to find out for sure is to use the Mission Editor (which will trash lurker_hlb3's Campaign files without some post-editing). You would load-up all of the files of a given time frame you are raiding Truk - which might be over a dozen. You just might find, like we did in FotRSU, that there are over 100 ships attempting to traverse the Truk lagoon, and they're all sitting around staring at each other for the most part, with a bunch of them having been backed into, burning and sinking. It's too much data for the computer to handle. To help that in the future, if you haven't already done this, use LAA. CapnScurvy has a good write-up on its use in Windows10; Large Address Aware; SH4 Install, in which he talks about installing Windows 10 and LAA (Large Address Aware) in it, but it does apply, for the most part, on other "modern" Windows OSes...

If you are crashing while loading that Save file, don't try to run it. The crash probably trashed it. Left a file open, and now it doesn't know when to stop loading stuff... If you're crashing anytime the game loads, let us know, and we'll have you get rid of your Save folder, maybe get rid of the "bad" portion of it and try putting it back in... but consider that previous Save lost and gone forever... probably.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-17, 06:33 AM   #3
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > Black Hawk70
Support The New SH4 Mega Mod Project FOTRSU > 100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v0.61 PublicBeta_EN
Steam Conversion SH4 Installation Instructions By ValoWay
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-17, 11:24 AM   #4
Black_Hawk70
Swabbie

Downloads: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
I have no "proof", but it might be that Truk is as much of a mess in TMO 2.5 as it was in FotRSU. The only "safe" way to find out for sure is to use the Mission Editor (which will trash lurker_hlb3's Campaign files without some post-editing). You would load-up all of the files of a given time frame you are raiding Truk - which might be over a dozen. You just might find, like we did in FotRSU, that there are over 100 ships attempting to traverse the Truk lagoon, and they're all sitting around staring at each other for the most part, with a bunch of them having been backed into, burning and sinking. It's too much data for the computer to handle. To help that in the future, if you haven't already done this, use LAA. CapnScurvy has a good write-up on its use in Windows10; Large Address Aware; SH4 Install, in which he talks about installing Windows 10 and LAA (Large Address Aware) in it, but it does apply, for the most part, on other "modern" Windows OSes...

If you are crashing while loading that Save file, don't try to run it. The crash probably trashed it. Left a file open, and now it doesn't know when to stop loading stuff... If you're crashing anytime the game loads, let us know, and we'll have you get rid of your Save folder, maybe get rid of the "bad" portion of it and try putting it back in... but consider that previous Save lost and gone forever... probably.
Thanks so much for the response. I'll try your recommendations. Really sucks that I can't use that save, I was on the backside of a really good patrol (4 on the bottom for over 50k). Oh well...
Black_Hawk70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-17, 11:41 AM   #5
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

If you don't have the LAA (Large Address Aware) applied to the SH4.exe file, read that CapnScurvy thread and put it on. That will help when you encounter those massive gatherings of surface vessels. A few years ago, I got in the habit of doing two saves, sort of close together, in the hope that the previous Save would be usable... seemed to work sometimes, but not always. I've gotten away from that now that my computer is a bit stronger than it was, and I'm more (usually) careful with adding and subtracting mods from my game. The use of MultiSH4 and that LAA app probably help the most...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-17, 12:15 PM   #6
Front Runner
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 215
Default Don't "Overwrite" previous saves

I used to overwrite previous saves but found that to be a culprit in corruption of save game files. I make sure that I always have a single iteration of all saved games.
Of course that may lead to a proliferation of save games which can cause problems such as, there seems to be a limit to how many save games the Radio Manager applet can handle. I had to delete a number of saved games to get full operation of the Radio Manager applet. It was unable to recognize my saved game folder as a valid folder with soooo many saved games in it.

Gone but not forgotten, RIP Dave "LeoVampire".
Front Runner is offline   Reply With Quote