SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-05-17, 04:14 PM   #1
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Default AA guns

Likely been asked before but decided to throw this out there. Would it e possible to make it so AA gun crews would target surface vessels? I know silent hunter is often one or the other and I would give up my AA guns if they AI crews would target them again surface vessels with 40 MM, 20 MM .50 cal. plus the deck gun Really would add to things.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-17, 08:11 PM   #2
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 16

I believe if you go into the respective dat file and change the A0 node to a S0 they may engage both. You'd have to make the changes in the upc file as well, possibly the eqp but I think that's just for the AI.

USS Kentucky SSBN 737 (G)
Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Yes I was really on a submarine.
ETR3(SS) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-17, 10:05 AM   #3
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETR3(SS) View Post
I believe if you go into the respective dat file and change the A0 node to a S0 they may engage both. You'd have to make the changes in the upc file as well, possibly the eqp but I think that's just for the AI.
This is an interesting topic, to the uninitiated like me what the hell is an AO and a S0 node, this is mind boggling stuff I've come across here and I would like to know a bit more about it. If you have the time could you explain what you're talking about in plain English because I'm not a modder by any means but I am interested in what all these acronyms and whatnot mean.
Old 06-06-17, 10:09 AM   #4
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Those are "node" designations used in the DAT file for a vessel, whether ship, air, sub, etc. The letter "M" can be thought of as "Main", as in main armament, followed by a number designation for the gun position. The "S" would be "Secondary", the "A" for Anti-aircraft. There are other designations for other "equipment" used by an "asset". I don't know why, but all this makes me hungry for lunch...

@ Bubblehead1980: I still haven't found the thread / post I was referring to earlier about someone having changed their AI guns to being able to target vessels...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-17, 11:26 AM   #5
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
This is an interesting topic, to the uninitiated like me what the hell is an AO and a S0 node, this is mind boggling stuff I've come across here and I would like to know a bit more about it. If you have the time could you explain what you're talking about in plain English because I'm not a modder by any means but I am interested in what all these acronyms and whatnot mean.
Here's a thread to read then. http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=231568

Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Old 06-06-17, 02:44 PM   #6
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

Thanks for the info propbeanie and ETR3(SS), all that info has mostly gone right over my head but the important thing is you modders know what it means and does.
I'll stick to playing this game rather than modding it it'll be much better all round me thinks.
Old 06-06-17, 04:39 PM   #7
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Everybody learns by digging into it and discovering how the game works and sharing that information with others. Either by posting about it or by releasing a mod. Figuring out how it all works and pushing the limits is, for me at least, half the fun of the game.

Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Old 06-06-17, 04:56 PM   #8
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Everybody learns by digging into it and discovering how the game works and sharing that information with others. Either by posting about it or by releasing a mod. Figuring out how it all works and pushing the limits is, for me at least, half the fun of the game.

Yes, other than is caused CTD(Compulsive Tweaking Disorder) lol. I agree, a lot of fun to see the changes made in the sim, especially when it improves things.
Old 06-06-17, 05:41 PM   #9
propbeanie

See, me thinks that Moonlight, just by the asking about the letter designations, had been previously bitten by the contagious little CTD mosquito... it's "venom" began infecting him months ago... it is now beginning its work on his brain. The symptoms will only increase from here. Next, he will want to tweak a CFG file and he will eventually succumb and ~have~ to tweak other files. If he starts asking how the menu_1024_768.ini file works, the infection will have consumed him...

What was it we were talking about anyway?...

Old 06-08-17, 08:42 PM   #10
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:

hmm which .dat file? This is definitely on my to do list as I am currently working on 1945 in my RSRD. Deck guns became even more important due to the number of smaller vessels and shallow water ops during this time frame. I am creating traffic accordingly so being able to order 40 MM and 20 MM to fire along with the 5 inch gun(s) will be a great asset.
Old 06-08-17, 11:51 PM   #11
propbeanie

Let me have s7rikeback come in here. He's working on the AI subs for FotRSU, and he has a Sen Toku shooting up a merchant will all guns a-blaziing...

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...79#post2489579

very nice stuff... He might know which files to look in... Of course, his "sources" were keltos01 and (of course) ETR33(SS)...

Old 06-09-17, 05:23 AM   #12
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Guess it wasn't as easy as I thought. Still looking into this more though. The AI has no problem lighting you up with all they've got but the player doing the same seems more difficult.

Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Old 06-09-17, 06:36 AM   #13
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1106
Uploads: 10

Default CTD(Compulsive Tweaking Disorder)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
Yes, other than is caused CTD(Compulsive Tweaking Disorder) lol. I agree, a lot of fun to see the changes made in the sim, especially when it improves things.
CTD(Compulsive Tweaking Disorder) is very Infectious indeed - there is no known cure...

It starts out small, "I will just change a texture or date..." and before you know it, your hanging out with the big guns on super mod's and side projects...

You forget to eat, you cannot sleep, every device in the house has a medifire & Googledrive link and every devices internet app's start page is.... SUBSIM

Just incase you have missed something.
Old 06-10-17, 11:42 PM   #14
BarracudaUAK
Captain

Downloads: 31

whoops, nevermind, I clicked reply in the wrong tab!!!

Barracuda
BarracudaUAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-17, 11:57 PM   #15
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Anyone ever look into this? i'm lost on how to make this happen.