Old 02-06-16, 07:39 PM   #1
nsomnia
Weps

Downloads: 44
Uploads: 0
Default Project Operation Trident Offical Development Log

Operation Trident - Cold War Submarine/Naval Simulator
1946 - 1991

August 19: We are almost ready to go public with some teaser in-game videos to not only excite you guys and keep us filled with steam, but to fill our team to maximum license capacities.

A fullblown cold-war era subsim set in a slightly alternate reality. Upgrades and tech/classes become available at the proper times and historic events happen but you will infact be at war with the USSR.

Initally only the US and USSR will be playable, later the UK and maybe a small nation, eventually any submarine toting nations will be included.

Until we get v0.12 (playable demo) out to see if its viable for kickstarter, any donations can go to paypal.me/OpTrident to anyone that wants to help the cause and you will get mention in the game credits, just leave a payment note.

This is now a dedicated URL so it wont get mixed in with my YouTube donations and I can distribute it among the team.

Download Latest Version
Current Version: 0.11preTechDemo - Mar 27 2016 Last version before the playable demo. Everythings changed except the ocean waves code.
Download - 330MB 7z format @ indieDB - Windows 64 bit
Old verison 0.10pTD Mar 7
Old version 0.08ptd
Old Version - 0.07preTechdeMo 192mb
Old Version: 0.06preTechDemo
Old verison download - 0.05preTechDemo

Trello Board - Keep Track of Upcoming & Future Updates, vote on features, comment. [CLICK]

Controls
Time compression is set with buttons at the bottom right corner
R - Surface
F - Hold Depth
V - Div
Left/Right arrows - Set rudder +/-5d respective direction
Shift+left/right arrows - Set Rudder full port/stbd
Up/Down - Set engines telegraph up or down +4 is ahead flank -3 is back full 0 is neutral
P - Attack Periscope
Mouse wheel - Zoom periscopes or camera views
Left/Right mouse button - Take focus back (cameras/periscope) of camera or enable mouse cursor
~ - Debug Console

News
June 14th - Setup a dedicated donations link. I've been working dont worry ever day! Currently looking for manpower, need help this project will slog with the current team size.
Feb 7th 2016 - First couple versions uploaded just to show the current quality of the ocean and basic boat controls
Feb 9th - Lots of debug info added and have the controls almost like they should be (silent hunter style)
<IN PROGRESS> Feb 10th - Tweak up the download and add tons of debug screens then start coding more technical stuff
Feb 11th - Got basic torpedo setup for testing underwater explosion simulations.
Feb 12th- Restarted the interior models
Feb 13th - Got a main menu and campaign selection screen mocked up and in the game plus underwater fx workign 100%
Mar 7th - After lots of testing and ocean updates with post processing and storm weather as well as masking the interior of the ship will take form as time goes on.

Latest Update(s)
Underwater Effect as depth gets deeper
Full Resoulution

Fish in the Water

IndieDB Link

Last edited by nsomnia; 08-20-16 at 09:00 PM.
nsomnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-16, 12:16 PM   #2
nsomnia
Weps

Had 100$ donated via my YouTube channel (unless someone on here shares the persons name) will be going into the game fund!
Old 02-24-16, 01:04 PM   #3
nsomnia
Weps

Was able to mask the ocean out of an area, leaving only the base color of everything else.
Its a start! Yesterday I had no idea how custom stencil buffers work, now I kind've know how to play with them.

Once I figure themasking out I can start building an explorable sub and start a real game.
Old 02-24-16, 02:13 PM   #4
nsomnia
Weps

Playing around with the wake some more. It stays active much longer before being destroyed now.

Eventually that will be built into the settings (wake lifetime)

Evnetually it'll actually modify the water mesh too.
Old 02-28-16, 04:18 PM   #5
nsomnia
Weps

Old 02-29-16, 04:53 AM   #6
Niedowidek
Bosun

Downloads: 118

Looks very good Especially blur effect when water flows down
Old 02-29-16, 04:08 PM   #7
nsomnia
Weps

I spidered and downloaded every document i could find on maritime.org some 80,000+ pages, figures and images.

That with my new reading material (C++ books) should have me on my way to making some good simulations.

I did some beginner setups for missions and boat fittting out today.

Its mostly GUI work as most of the graphics/simulation I need to learn more, the gameplay I feel just wouldnt be appreciated yet (why shoot at a randomly spawning ship over and over no fun) so I might do some cinematic renderings. And start modelling the interior of a pig boat.

(Theres over 500 pages and images on the 5" gun alone... I could spend days reading this, if only I had the skills to boil it down to gameplay fast enough)

Pretty close to getting a simple crew and sub-systems selection screen setup and then some projectile work, a few bot AI ships to shoot at and then gonna get back to learning more C++/UE4 API. We'll call it v0.1-alpha

Last edited by nsomnia; 02-29-16 at 04:33 PM.
nsomnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-16, 01:00 PM   #8
nsomnia
Weps

Cooking a update with all the new stuff now. Nothing special but you can climb the ladder to the conning tower then jump up onto the bridge and you can walk around on the deck and you can control the ship and get telementry even thoguh your controlling the player. /

A step in the right direction cant wait to get a hatch going and then the conning tower and then control room and radio room.
Old 03-08-16, 03:24 PM   #9
nsomnia
Weps

Heres a video of the WW2 fleet boat conning tower with the main hatch being able to go through. NExt up, cut a hole in the hull cover where it belongs.

Going to start modelling some different conning tower designs youll be able to choose from based on the year roughly.

Got the 1948 tench class streamlined design started and going to go all the way up to guppyIIa

Old 03-09-16, 01:11 PM   #10
nsomnia
Weps

Finished modelling the tench 1948 class streamlined conning tower exterior + bridge with hatch and it works fine you can drop into the pressure hull (its empty ATM) but for the regular fleet sub conning tower I accidently cut its hole for the conning tower aft about 15 feet so I have to re-model that.

So some more modelling and texturing and the next update: roll around in the pressure hulls empty abyss while controlling the boat

I'm also going to integrate a free program that takes an unreal 4 engine game and checks your files against a webserver (like Steam) for updates and if yours differs you automatically get the updates.

Ill still post major updates to indieDB
Old 03-10-16, 01:41 PM   #11
nsomnia
Weps

Got the ability to drop down into the conning tower which now has interior walls and you can then drop into the "control room hatch" which just drops you into the pressure hull right now.

Its pretty cool.

The only problem is in my haste to get everything working with some interior bits I've let the model topology get away from me. I might end up remodelling everything to make adjustments easier for example I just put the bridge -> conning tower hatch center of the lookout spot, whereas really its to the port side, i had to center it though to make characters fit through it. Also the conning tower -> control center hatch I put about 1.25m aft from the other hatch looking at drawings of a 1943 era sub but on the pampanito virtual tour its actually not a circular hatch, A, and B, is about 1 hatch diameter aft and starboard.

The biggest issue is things like doors rooms etc in games have to be enlarged for character views and sizes. I hope to get it as real as possible on the first sub though.

Update will come once I'm happy with the conning tower 1945 (level 1), presssure hull, and conning tower interior models as well as the hatches and their functionality plus some interior goodies in the conning tower such as some piping and indicators.

I've been trying to learn about FFT's (Fast-fourier-transforms) for making stormy seas but its a very advanced math topic.

Another bug is when controlling the boat while in control of the character you dont inherit the boats rotation or location so if you go ahead flank and your inside the pressure hull you fly backwards sitting still until the bulkhead hits you aft and it pulls you along. You do inherit these when there is no water and your standing on something attached to the model however I have to set the models to "un-attached" right now because I'm using per-poly-collision detection for convenience and speed of development over performance.

Hopefully when I get the water mask plugged into the main ocean mesh generator and decks in the pressure hull to stand on this wont be a issue.
Old 03-12-16, 12:10 PM   #12
nsomnia
Weps

Brushing up on my material and particles effects for creating screens, water splashes, foam etc. When I learned UE4 I went straight to blueprints and GUIs which are my speciality and I lack in these areas so I'm gonna learn as much as I can before I get bored with some tutorials I've been meaningh to do today.
Old 04-08-16, 05:39 PM   #13
bigwillydier
Arctic Warrior

Downloads: 2

So freakin' excited about this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-09-16, 12:23 PM   #14
nsomnia
Weps

Looking to get a team together with my character artist/animation/3d artist and bigW who posted above.

That will definitly fast track an early alpha version.

Anyone interestied in joining let me know, we will be creatinga gofundme after a playable game is prototyped to pay ourselves and gauge the market.
Old 04-09-16, 04:43 PM   #15
nsomnia
Weps

A spline based procedural pipe (I have ropes and hoses too) as well as a quick cleat I did today cause I had some free time, unfortunatly my level is bugging out I neeed to find out what asset is giving problems (probly the 100 or so concrete peices for the pier, need to merge them using the merge tool)

I should be working on the subs but I've been doing art stuff lately to get my skills up to snuff (sculpting)