SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-04-11, 05:28 PM   #1
commandosolo2009
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 132
Uploads: 0
Default Rookie guide to: Crew Management

Captain on deck
Attainshun!!

Guys, this is a guide I just made for crew management. I know someone could have got this before, and I'm just spit-balling here. Its strictly intended to the rookies and nubs on this forum. Crew is an important aspect of a sub, that cant just be overlooked because its automated.

Leave your feedback and any problems encountered with the crew management and I'll get back to you soon.

Cheers
commandosolo2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-11, 06:25 PM   #2
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 16

A few things, first is do not keep men in the AA or deck gun slots. Even though you may not have the deck gun or AA manned these men can still be injured or killed by enemy action. A better place to put these men would be on the DC Team. The DC Team has no corresponding damage zone therefore they won't be injured.

Second, if Section 3 is on watch Section 2 will be performing maintenance while Section 1 is in the rack.

If you sustain flooding the Trim Pump is what dewaters a space. You can be out of compressed air and have a broken air compressor and still be able to pump the water out. Pumping the water out can also be done while submerged and is an automatic action that the game takes when you start to take on water.

The Helmsman steers the boat. This...
Quote:
He keeps the boat in top shape for you. Also, affects leadership, commends obedient crew members, and rebukes mutinous members as well. He is a guy not to be trifled with.
...would be more the job of the Officer of the Deck.

Other than that I'd go through and double check the spelling.

USS Kentucky SSBN 737 (G)
Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Yes I was really on a submarine.
ETR3(SS) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-11, 06:31 PM   #3
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

Very nice, should be helpful for new stock players and something you can build on.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-11, 08:02 PM   #4
commandosolo2009
Grey Wolf

Quote:
first is do not keep men in the AA or deck gun slots. Even though you may not have the deck gun or AA manned these men can still be injured or killed by enemy action. A better place to put these men would be on the DC Team. The DC Team has no corresponding damage zone therefore they won't be injured.
Quote:
Second, if Section 3 is on watch Section 2 will be performing maintenance while Section 1 is in the rack.
First of all thanks for your input. I just meant what you implied. And for the DC I totally agree, but if its full, where do I put the men? and are you suggesting I keep the sailor count at minimum? that is to leave empty spaces in the sub?

Quote:
If you sustain flooding the Trim Pump is what dewaters a space. You can be out of compressed air and have a broken air compressor and still be able to pump the water out. Pumping the water out can also be done while submerged and is an automatic action that the game takes when you start to take on water.

Quote:
Quote:
The Helmsman steers the boat. This...
...would be more the job of the Officer of the Deck.
I'm Thanks for clarifying those things. Your ideas and corrections will be incorporated. I again thank you for reviewing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armistead View Post
Very nice, should be helpful for new stock players and something you can build on.

Grazie mille Armistead.
Old 01-04-11, 10:21 PM   #5
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETR3(SS) View Post
A few things, first is do not keep men in the AA or deck gun slots. Even though you may not have the deck gun or AA manned these men can still be injured or killed by enemy action. A better place to put these men would be on the DC Team. The DC Team has no corresponding damage zone therefore they won't be injured.
I never thought of that! I keep moving them back and forth to the main compartments, and cursing whoever improved the overall management so much but managed to screw up the guns at the same time. I'll remember that trick next time out.
Old 01-04-11, 10:25 PM   #6
ETR3(SS)
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by commandosolo2009 View Post
First of all thanks for your input. I just meant what you implied. And for the DC I totally agree, but if its full, where do I put the men? and are you suggesting I keep the sailor count at minimum? that is to leave empty spaces in the sub?
What I do is leave the DC Team slots empty. What this enables me to do is move men from the AA guns and deck gun to the empty DC team slots. If I need to fill the DC Team slots for damage control, I pull guys out of the engine room and put them in with my gunners in the DC Team.

USS Kentucky SSBN 737 (G)
Comms Div 2003-2006
Qualified 19 November 03

Yes I was really on a submarine.
ETR3(SS) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-11, 10:55 PM   #7
JREX53
Frogman

Downloads: 353
Uploads: 13

Another thing that you need to remember is to move your deck crew below decks when you dive, attack submerged, or are being depth charged. Mainly when there is a chance that you will be depth charged.

They are considered to still be topside in the damage model.

JREX53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-11, 11:30 PM   #8
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

Ah, the joy of Hogans Alley or Aft Battery, all that room to put your extra men in
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-11, 05:36 AM   #9
commandosolo2009
Grey Wolf

Quote:
What I do is leave the DC Team slots empty. What this enables me to do is move men from the AA guns and deck gun to the empty DC team slots. If I need to fill the DC Team slots for damage control, I pull guys out of the engine room and put them in with my gunners in the DC Team.

Adding as an option to next edition.Thank you for the feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by JREX53 View Post
Another thing that you need to remember is to move your deck crew below decks when you dive, attack submerged, or are being depth charged. Mainly when there is a chance that you will be depth charged.

They are considered to still be topside in the damage model.
Ouch!!! I wonder how they would feel after getting pounded to no joy land.. Duely noted. Adding to next edition. Just waiting for enought ideas to improve material.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armistead View Post
Ah, the joy of Hogans Alley or Aft Battery, all that room to put your extra men in
Adding to next edition. Thanks for the input.

Keep them coming fellas!!
Old 01-05-11, 08:26 AM   #10
WernherVonTrapp
Admiral

Downloads: 105

Quote:
That's what I've always done. The only, minor, drawback is that there aren't enough spaces in the DC slots to accommodate all the DW personnel. I'd either leave a few spaces open elsewhere on the boat or was prepared to place only the officers and POs in those slots.
"What is truth?"
-Pontius Pilate
WernherVonTrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-11, 06:49 PM   #11
Otha
Swabbie

Downloads: 124

Adding more DC slots is relatively simple. Locate the following file: Data/Submarine/[NSS_PlayerSub].upcge, where PlayerSub is the name of the sub you want to use. For example, if you're playing the Gato the file will be NSS_Gato.upcge. Open the file with any text editor and locate the Crewmember Slots header. Under the Crewmember Slots header, find the DAMAGE CONTROL section. The entry for each damage control slot looks like the following:

Code:
[UserPlayerUnit 1.Compartment 6.CrewMemberSlot 5]
ID=CrewMemberSlot_DamageC4
NameDisplayable= Damage Control Crew
Type= Crewman
WatchIndex= 0
IDLinkCrewMember= Crew-Seaman-Rank-1
WatchCrewMemberSlot3D= NULL
BattleStationsCrewMemberSlot3D= NULL
WatchAccessoriesForAdding3DObjects= NULL
WatchAccessoriesForSubtracting3DObjects= NULL
BattleAccessoriesForAdding3DObjects= NULL
BattleAccessoriesForSubtracting3DObjects= NULL
Just copy and paste that code block after the last damage control slot entry, and increment the CrewMember Slot # and the ID=CrewMemberSlot_DamageC #. Replace this
Code:
IDLinkCrewMember= Crew-Seaman-Rank-1
with this
Code:
IDLinkCrewMember= NULL
Repeat for each additional DC slot you want and voila, instant Hogan's Alley.
Otha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-11, 03:35 AM   #12
commandosolo2009
Grey Wolf

Guys, I'm in a bit of a predicament here. I want to know the station efficiency bar ?/100 efficiency (the one showing also flooding). How to get this value. By trial and logic, I know that the index next to each station chief is calculated by dividing the shift efficieny (nominator) by the number of crew in the actual shift. What I dont know is, how the total station efficiency is calculated. Please help?
Old 01-08-11, 12:50 PM   #13
Dogfish40
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 827

Quote:
Originally Posted by commandosolo2009 View Post
Captain on deck

Attainshun!!

Guys, this is a guide I just made for crew management. I know someone could have got this before, and I'm just spit-balling here. Its strictly intended to the rookies and nubs on this forum. Crew is an important aspect of a sub, that cant just be overlooked because its automated.

Leave your feedback and any problems encountered with the crew management and I'll get back to you soon.

Cheers
Ahoy Solo,
Very good. Even though there is only so much you can do with the management in the game, it definitely cannot be ignored. I have a question for you or anyone who knows this; As far as the efficiency grade in the crew sheet. It's something like 30/100(divided by 50) or somthing like that, how does this formula play out?
I don't really get this and I was wondering about it because I am ussually picky about appointing crew members and this may affect my choices in the future.
Anyway, nice effort, I downloaded the Guide and read it. Cool
Good Hunting
D40
PS; I see on another thread the question has already been asked!! So, I guess this is something we'll have to chew on....
Old 01-08-11, 02:17 PM   #14
commandosolo2009
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogfish40 View Post
Ahoy Solo,
Very good. Even though there is only so much you can do with the management in the game, it definitely cannot be ignored. I have a question for you or anyone who knows this; As far as the efficiency grade in the crew sheet. It's something like 30/100(divided by 50) or somthing like that, how does this formula play out?
I don't really get this and I was wondering about it because I am ussually picky about appointing crew members and this may affect my choices in the future.
Anyway, nice effort, I downloaded the Guide and read it. Cool
Good Hunting
D40
PS; I see on another thread the question has already been asked!! So, I guess this is something we'll have to chew on....
Thanks for your input. Stay tuned for edition 1.1, oh and your question has been asked in this thread. Check it out. Best regards, CS2K9
Old 01-16-11, 07:02 AM   #15
ijnfleetadmiral
Ensign

Downloads: 116

The ranks in the game go past Lieutenant. I started as a Lieutenant Commander, and have since been promoted to Commander. If I stay playing, I imagine I'll eventually unlock Captain's rank. I've been on five patrols for a total of 102,650 tons sunk. I'll probably get offered a desk job with after my next patrol (I started 9 December 1941; the current date in the game is 5 July 1942), but I don't plan on taking it.

-Matt

ijnfleetadmiral is offline   Reply With Quote